Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Claire

Should A Personal Opinion Be Presented As A General View? If Not, Why Not?

25 posts in this topic

Only if they belong to me.

Because I am always right.

;)

It's up to your reader to decide that I would have thought. Some personal opinions come across as a mantra with no room for change, and that is a shame for the writer. Why bother joining a forum if you are not here to learn - did you 'write the book'?

LOL

I don't see how a personal opinion could be would be or should be taken as a general view. At least that's my personal view which I demand to be taken as a general view.

I think that there are some people who find it difficult to see from other viewpoints, no redcab jibes please, and so their view meshes naturally with what they perceive as 'the general' view.

But that's just my opinion.........

An individual's "personal opinion" cannot by itself constitute the general view because by definition the general view is the consensus of a large group of people.

As far as I read, Anth "The Man Who Launched A Hundred Threads" G didn't say his personal views were the general views although I am happy to be corrected. Quite clearly it was not the general view among the posters who responded.

He may of course like his view to become the general view which is why he phrased it in the form of a prescription. This angered said posters for various reasons :P

Edited by Mr Slurpy

An individual's "personal opinion" cannot by itself constitute the general view because by definition the general view is the consensus of a large group of people.

As far as I read, Anth "The Man Who Launched A Hundred Threads" G didn't say his personal views were the general views although I am happy to be corrected. Quite clearly it was not the general view among the posters who responded.

He may of course like his view to become the general view which is why he phrased it in the form of a prescription. This angered said posters for various reasons :P

I think what fired me up with Anth was his apparent inability to listen. How do you ever learn anything if all you want to do is preach?

Of course it shouldn't!

But that's just my opinion.

Discuss please!

Its up to the poster to decide within the rules how they present a post, others will decide their opinions on their post/s. An opinion is just that, an individuals view, its not the same as a fact. If you post an opinion as a fact or a general view which is speaking for others which i never appreciate as i can speak for myself then dont be surprised if others mention it in reply. My advice, which is my opinion is speak for yourself not for me or others. :)

Discuss please!

No. And that's a fact. No need for further discussion now.

No. And that's a fact. No need for further discussion now.

:D

Discuss please!

This presumes a False Dichotomy....

No, Never!

A personal opinion can only ever be just that, an individual,s opinion based on whatever factor's life has thrown at them.

Unless...

virtually everyone goes on to agree with them, then it will be a general consensus.

No, Never!

A personal opinion can only ever be just that, an individual,s opinion based on whatever factor's life has thrown at them.

Unless...

virtually everyone goes on to agree with them, then it will be a general consensus.

But what if someone said Barebacking is unsafe and should be banned. And the reason I say this is unprotected sex has so many risks involved for STI's

Everyone replies, I don't think its unsafe. I do it all the time and never caught anything

Does that make it generaly safe or unsafe?

This presumes a False Dichotomy....

I missed out the word 'perhaps' from the title. It wasn't supposed to be two exhaustive options!

But what if someone said Barebacking is unsafe and should be banned. And the reason I say this is unprotected sex has so many risks involved for STI's

Everyone replies, I don't think its unsafe. I do it all the time and never caught anything

You've added the proviso 'I don't think...' . If you'd said 'It's not unsafe, I do it all the time and haven't caught anything' - that's different, that's presenting opinion as fact.

No, it means what it says, that the majority have simply expressed a point of view, and the reader can make up his own mind surely? This isn't a playground, it's an adult forum, although of late I am left wondering.........

actually you couldnt have picked a worse example there anth, most bb threads end up with the general majority saying they would never do it but still in the past many have spoken up and said that they have done...so no general consensus there I am afraid....just a majority.

I think on that score its obvious anyway what the health risks are to most but a lot of punters still do it...

also a general consensus does not decide if something is safe or unsafe...just what the general perception is..and we all know perceptions can be wrong <_<

This isn't a playground, it's an adult forum, although of late I am left wondering.........

Please do not be under any impression that you are the only one ;)

I think, only if you have good reason to presume your personal opinion is consistent with the general view. If we are honest with ourselves we should know when this is, or is not the case.

(What did I miss ?)

Edited by WykeTyke

A personal opinion on whatever subject, object, thought or whatever is stictly a personal opinion. You and I may agree that this book, musican, film or political idea is great, however it doesn't mean that we will agree over every other book, musician, film or political idea. This is because we are not the same person and are expressing 'personal' opinions, be this over a joke or various forms of sex, protected or otherwise.

A personal opinion on whatever subject, object, thought or whatever is stictly a personal opinion. You and I may agree that this book, musican, film or political idea is great, however it doesn't mean that we will agree over every other book, musician, film or political idea. This is because we are not the same person and are expressing 'personal' opinions, be this over a joke or various forms of sex, protected or otherwise.

Most sane people would agree 100% mike, but many posters on many forums have an uncanny knack of presenting personal opinions (no matter how wacky or outlandish) as solid gold facts. Thats when the old *opens popcorn* moments happen and all hell sometimes breaks loose. Many posters would benefit from a liberal use of imho and ime in their posts, but often those who need it most are the ones least likely to use it. None of the above is unique to punting forums btw.

None of the above is unique to punting forums btw.

That is certainly the truth.