Otterhound

Farewell Mr. Bloom

30 posts in this topic

Mr Bloom, who has written some of the best FRs ever on this site, has just bowed out. His reports - by turns whimsical, humorous and philosophical - brought a touch of class to this site. I don’t know why he has retired, but I thank him and wish him luck, he will be missed, by me at least.

Mr Bloom, who has written some of the best FRs ever on this site, has just bowed out. His reports - by turns whimsical, humorous and philosophical - brought a touch of class to this site. I don’t know why he has retired, but I thank him and wish him luck, he will be missed, by me at least.

I read the FR in which Mr Bloom mentioned his bow out. He has been a punter whose FRs i have followed and highly rated and respected as i do his posts on here. I also thank him but i hope he will still post on here imparting his wisdom. Mr Bloom your pure class.. :)

I read the FR in which Mr Bloom mentioned his bow out. He has been a punter whose FRs i have followed and highly rated and respected as i do his posts on here. I also thank him but i hope he will still post on here imparting his wisdom. Mr Bloom your pure class.. :)

Yeah Ive read it too. http://www.punternet.com/frs/fr_view.php?recnum=106017

Sad to see its all to end on a low :(

I too have followed Mr Bloom's writings with interest and I count myself fortunate to have met him over lunch on a couple of occasions. He is a sprightly and interesting conversationalist in real life which is well reflected in his jottings. I know he will be around in this country rather less going forward but I still hope he may keep in touch and that he does not suffer withdrawal symptoms.

Best wishes R

Uncle Pokey

Seconded. Good luck Mr Bloom!

No more nuanced FRs to look forward to reading. A name I always look(ed?) out for as we have quite some commonality in taste, oriental bath time for one. Girls have definitely been bumped up/down off and onto my wish list courtesy of his contributions.

Maybe Mr Bloom might care to dig around in the archives to find and bump the retirement announcements thread (might even be heading that way soon myself), and pen some reminiscences on his 4 year crusade?

A great innings indeed.

But before we all go into mourning, take careful note of the let-out clause in the 2nd para: "my punts are going to become far less frequent in the foreseeable future". Not a definitive retirement then?

We all know what temptation can do to our plans, so I'm still hoping for a comeback.

Here is hoping that Mr Bloom has as much fun wherever he is going as he has had at times when he has been coming. As it were.

Disappointing when it cant end on a high, but that's life sometimes. Mr Bloom has my sympathies and hope his retirement is whatever he wants it to be.

I showed a copy of this FR to one of the ladies mentioned in the first paragraph of "Comments" this morning and got the distinct impression Mr Bloom would receive a warm welcome should he visit the town of roundabouts and concrete cows during his future travels.

Disappointing when it cant end on a high, but that's life sometimes. Mr Bloom has my sympathies and hope his retirement is whatever he wants it to be.

It would be a strong man, in my opinion, who could bow out on a low like that, particularly after all those years of experience of what it might have been! Surely, just one more punt?........... :)

A punter and a gentleman.

A WGs dream.

A great innings indeed.

But before we all go into mourning, take careful note of the let-out clause in the 2nd para: "my punts are going to become far less frequent in the foreseeable future". Not a definitive retirement then?

We all know what temptation can do to our plans, so I'm still hoping for a comeback.

Agreed. No where he said he is retiring. Just saying that he is not going to punt as often as before, after not a satisfying meeting. Hardly an unusual stance.

Strange how the two first paragraphs of Frs was not anything to do with an actual appointment, just a personal musings, which I admit it was quite insightful to read. (does not belong to the FR though, imho)

Glad, and hope so, that the rest is ok though with Good Ol. Mr Bloom, as the topic of the thread (before opening it) make you instantly asume that something much worse happened. So relieved its ain't so! :-)

Edited by Xenia

Blimey, it's like reading my obituary! (which is traditionally thought to bring luck, isn't it?, and a new lease of life). Thanks for the kind thoughts.

Nothing dramatic: but after four years of relative leisure in one of the world's punting capitals, I now find myself with much less free time in city less favoured by belles de jour and ladies of the night, in another country. I shall be doing little if any punting there and shall just have to console myself as best I may on what will be rather infrequent visits to London. It may do me good: the next time I punt I may bring fresh eyes with me and renewed enthusiasm. But yes, I'm going to miss it.

I still hope he may keep in touch and that he does not suffer withdrawal symptoms.

Best wishes R

Uncle Pokey

Was that deliberate?

Blimey, it's like reading my obituary! (which is traditionally thought to bring luck, isn't it?, and a new lease of life). Thanks for the kind thoughts. Nothing dramatic: but after four years of relative leisure in one of the world's punting capitals, I now find myself with much less free time in city less favoured by belles de jour and ladies of the night, in another country. I shall be doing little if any punting there and shall just have to console myself as best I may on what will be rather infrequent visits to London. It may do me good: the next time I punt I may bring fresh eyes with me and renewed enthusiasm. But yes, I'm going to miss it.

As i knew but i didnt want to say till you posted it yourself. I wish you good luck, not obituary linked. ;):D

Was that deliberate?

I would of thought so.

Phew, I thought poor ol' Mr Bloom had shuffled off his mortal coil. Thankfully it's not so. Good luck to you fella, wherever you go and whatever you do. Peace out, my punting bruv.

Wishing you well Mr B

Al your forum inputs & reliable FR's ... Much appreciated !

... I now find myself with much less free time in city less favoured by belles de jour and ladies of the night, in another country.

Before you go, perhaps you could disclose the name of this city/country. Then the rest of us will know to avoid it! All the best.

Wishing you well Mr B

Al your forum inputs & reliable FR's ... Much appreciated !

Hope the spell in another city/country is good for you Mr Bloom (I remember when you were plain old Bloom after all). I assume you aren't quitting the forum though, even if punts and FRs are going to become a bit rarer ?

Blimey, it's like reading my obituary! (which is traditionally thought to bring luck, isn't it?, and a new lease of life). Thanks for the kind thoughts.

Nothing dramatic: but after four years of relative leisure in one of the world's punting capitals, I now find myself with much less free time in city less favoured by belles de jour and ladies of the night, in another country. I shall be doing little if any punting there and shall just have to console myself as best I may on what will be rather infrequent visits to London. It may do me good: the next time I punt I may bring fresh eyes with me and renewed enthusiasm. But yes, I'm going to miss it.

Edited by Tiggy 7

I now find myself with much less free time in city less favoured by belles de jour and ladies of the night, in another country. I shall be doing little if any punting there and shall just have to console myself as best I may on what will be rather infrequent visits to London. It may do me good: the next time I punt I may bring fresh eyes with me and renewed enthusiasm. But yes, I'm going to miss it.

You'll love it. Aberystwyth is a great place.

Mr Bloom, shame you couldnt have had a public withdrawl...then we could have all screamed we love you and tossed our worn knickers at you onto the stage ;).

Have fun whatever or wherever every single day.xxxx

You'll love it. Aberystwyth is a great place.

and not that far from London, a few hours. So when you get back refreshed, remember, " a new Broom sweeps clean "