berksboy

Vice Squad

33 posts in this topic

CH 5 tonight at 9 the work of the Metropolitan Police Vice Unit in Soho.

I watched this yesterday. 3 points I want to raise -

I was surprised when the cops arrested the kerb crawler. All he did was ask the decoy policewoman for a blowjob. He didnt even do the deed. I thought that to be arrested you needed to do more than just a verbal query. Maybe I was wrong.

Also whats the use of closing down a walk up joint for only one day, as the girl and the maid will be back the next day. The cops didnt even charge the girl or the maid. They just tore down the signs and closed the door. What a waste of time and resources of the vice squad. Where is the deterent in this action.

All the working girls were questioned and were given the oppurtunity to 'escape' with vice squad cops. The trafficked girls should have jumped at this chance. None of them took up the offer. What does that say about all the justification that HH gives about making prostitution illegal because trafficking is prevalent. It certainly wasnt the case in yesterdays programe.

I watched this yesterday. 3 points I want to raise -

I was surprised when the cops arrested the kerb crawler. All he did was ask the decoy policewoman for a blowjob. He didnt even do the deed. I thought that to be arrested you needed to do more than just a verbal query. Maybe I was wrong.

Also whats the use of closing down a walk up joint for only one day, as the girl and the maid will be back the next day. The cops didnt even charge the girl or the maid. They just tore down the signs and closed the door. What a waste of time and resources of the vice squad. Where is the deterent in this action.

All the working girls were questioned and were given the opportunity to 'escape' with vice squad cops. The trafficked girls should have jumped at this chance. None of them took up the offer. What does that say about all the justification that HH gives about making prostitution illegal because trafficking is prevalent. It certainly wasnt the case in yesterdays programe.

The part that baffled me was when one of the WGs, a Romanian I think, said that she was happy working. She then added that she had previously worked in a house with 5 pimps and 5 WGS iirc, and had not been happy there, and was pleased to move to her current work environment.

It wasn't clear from what was shown in the program that the police made any effort to follow up the problems in her earlier "employment" where she had not been happy. That seemed quite odd to me.

No - The offence is soliciting i.e asking. What did you think he had to do? drop his pants? hand over the money? If he's offered to pay a woman for a sexual act - and made this offer in public, then that's what kerbcrawling is.

That section of the show started out with the voice over saying 'one girl working in a flat is legal, with a maid to look after her." So what was the reasoning for closing it down for the day? Complete waste of time

No - The offence is soliciting i.e asking. What did you think he had to do? drop his pants? hand over the money? If he's offered to pay a woman for a sexual act - and made this offer in public, then that's what kerbcrawling is.

So clearly the correct procedure is to ask but not offer to pay :eek:

Gosh, must watch this.

Wonder if they are anything like the vice squad of the 1970s.

Or as corrupt? Though doubt if that'll be shown. In the early eighties I remember a guy who admitted, whilst in the throes of a rather vigerous rub-down, being a DCI in the Met and sniggering over all the show-downs he'd attended. And when I mentioned names he sniggered a bit more as I massaged his nether regions and he talked a bit.

Soho stills attracts a sexual image?

I thought they'd cleaned that image up and gone for gay bars and strip joints and the stag and hen dos from out of towners.

Does Soho still attract the corrupt copper?

I'll watch it and see.

/QUOTE]

This struck me as an example of the police hitting an easy target. If the police were satisfied the maid wasn't controlling the money/girl then it was also quite cruel : since the girl would have had to hire the flat for the day for around £300-£350 and would have been seriously out of pocket.

Another thing I didn't get was that, when Amy from Greek Street was interviewed, she described the circumstances in which she was working when she first came to UK (a brothel with a number of girls controlled by 5 pimps) ...yet there was no mention of the police following up at all on this clearly illegal set-up. If the police only listened to the working girls (or even the punters!) then they might actually do their job better.

That does assume that they are interested in doing their job better...

Didn't see the prog.

however just wondering about the continued use of the term "Vice Squad". Just doesn't seem to fit amongst all the "neutral, "non-judgemental", "equality" jargon of the modern plod.

I suppose doing it the way they did gives their target figures a boost without unneccesary paperwork, and imho that's what policing at street level has become these days; high profile for maximum public confidence and soft targets so nothing becomes too complicated to deal with back at the office.

Which walk-up did the girl who was 21 and and was asked about her age work in? Not sure I've been to that street, room looked tiny. The rest of the show felt all too familiar though lol.

That section of the show started out with the voice over saying 'one girl working in a flat is legal, with a maid to look after her." So what was the reasoning for closing it down for the day? Complete waste of time

It was mentioned that a working girl and a maid is legal providing the maid doesn't make any money other than tips. However, they still closed it down for the day because they suspected other girls working there but on different days. Doesn't this mean that all walkups are therefore illegal or was he just being anal about it and wanted to boost his figures for meeting targets?

It was mentioned that a working girl and a maid is legal providing the maid doesn't make any money other than tips. However, they still closed it down for the day because they suspected other girls working there but on different days. Doesn't this mean that all walkups are therefore illegal or was he just being anal about it and wanted to boost his figures for meeting targets?

Irrespective of the possible "Maid" complication, if Anal Annie works from 23 Acacia Avenue and only Anal Annie works from 23 Acacia Avenue then 23 Acacia Avenue is not a brothel, If Anal Annie and Oral Olive both work from 23 Acacia Avenue at the same time (parallel) then 23 Acacia Avenue is a brothel, if Anal Annie and Oral Olive work from 23 Acacia Avenue on alternate days (series), for example, then 23 Acacia Avenue is a brothel.

Apparently, you can be prosecuted for kerb crawling for simply driving along a road twice - regardless of speed.

well they close, places where girls are happy, punters are happy, have no complaints from anyone, no nuisance to anyone . not on the street.

in nice apartment.

easy prey i guess, no real guidelines, all depending on the mood and how much work an officer wants to do.

Apparently, you can be prosecuted for kerb crawling for simply driving along a road twice - regardless of speed.

Shit, I'm going to have to take another route home. :mad:

Which walk-up did the girl who was 21 and and was asked about her age work in? Not sure I've been to that street, room looked tiny. The rest of the show felt all too familiar though lol.

It was either 2 or 4 Lisle Street. I was in 3 Lisle Street today with Sasha and I asked the maid about the programme. The maid told me that her legs were shown in the programme but she told the police that they could not come in. She said they acted tough because of the cameras.

There are 2 flats at each of the addresses in Lisle Street. 2, 3 and 4. But the 21 year old is not at 3.

richardhead

Anyone know where the 'notorious area of east london' actually was? ie where the guy in the car got arrested for crawling?

It isn't any rld in London I know- and I thought I knew them all! Grrr! Must know, must find out!!

There was a 4-storey yellow brick residential building with a distinctive white diamond(like an umbro logo) painted on the side. Also the other side of the rd had black metal railings around the pavement, and the area where the guy was pulled over had those big terraced houses with the stone steps leading up to the front door. I think this is Hackney?? One of you guys must know!!

And yes, to agree with many of the above posts, most of what the police did in soho seemed utterly pointless...

I don't see how that complys with the legislation and I'd love to see evidence of any prosecutions with that level of evidence. You have to be deemed to be attempting to solicit a prostitute and they can hardly say you were "persistently attempting to solicit..." if you drove down a road at 30 mph a couple of times, even if there were prostitutes on that road. The police may use that as the minimum standard for sending polite letters to registered keepers i.e saying your car has been seen in the area and that it's a Red Light District and they'd rather not see you again etc.etc. but they certainly can't prosecute you on that basis.

Anyone know where the 'notorious area of east london' actually was? ie where the guy in the car got arrested for crawling?

It isn't any rld in London I know- and I thought I knew them all! Grrr! Must know, must find out!!

There was a 4-storey yellow brick residential building with a distinctive white diamond(like an umbro logo) painted on the side. Also the other side of the rd had black metal railings around the pavement, and the area where the guy was pulled over had those big terraced houses with the stone steps leading up to the front door. I think this is Hackney?? One of you guys must know!!

And yes, to agree with many of the above posts, most of what the police did in soho seemed utterly pointless...

I assumed that it was Whitchapel. There has been stuff on TV about Whitechapel before. You could always see if you can recognise it from Google street view.

richardhead

I assumed that it was Whitchapel. There has been stuff on TV about Whitechapel before. You could always see if you can recognise it from Google street view.

richardhead

Well its not commercial st or cheshire st or brownswood rd so where is it? (I've spent most of the last week on streetview...)

The 2nd instalement of Vice Squad is on today at 9pm. It should make interesting viewing.

Shit, I'm going to have to take another route home. :)

You think that's bad, I might not even get home, when I came home tonight I had to drive down my own road twice looking for a parking place, didn't realise I was breaking the law.

Halfway through this I'm just glad there is so little violent and serious crime in London that the police have all this time to deal with vice.