Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Diamond Geezer

Iphone Apps With Shared Itunes Accounts

5 posts in this topic

I posted this earlier in a different thread replying to Chloe of MKE and her new iPhone App.

A word of warning for any punters that (like me) share their iTunes account with a "significant other" or their kids.

Anyone with an iPhone authorised to your account can go into their app store/updates/purchased then select "Not on this Phone", they will then see any apps you may want to keep hidden from them. The only ways around this are to not share your iTunes but there are some useful paid apps that I let her have or to have a secondary account just for your private apps.

iPhones are brilliant but they can also bite your arse and beware, if you've already downloaded any such apps they can't currently be deleted from your purchase history but there's a growing movement on the Mac forums that are lobbying Apple to remedy this.

Fortunately I haven't yet downloaded anything I don't want my other half to see but please take heed of this warning.

DG

ps Damn forum software correcting my title from iPhone and iTunes to Iphone and Itunes :mad:

Edited by Diamond Geezer

Ahhh, i must correct myself folks. This has been remedied in IOS 5 and iTunes 10.5 and I only found it this morning whilst playing around.

In iTunes go to your Store then select the new purchased tab on the right, then click apps at the top. If you click an icon a cross will appear, click the cross and you have the option to hide the app. It now won't appear on other iPhones via App update or in the iTunes store.

If at any time you want it back you log into your account and you'll see an option for hidden apps.

The only thing I'd add to this would be the option to have a different passwords for account options and iTunes store as any tech savvy "other half" or child could easily access the "hidden" info.

Ultimately a separate iTunes account for this type of stuff is the only way but the apps can still be found by someone nosing on the phone.

Summary: NEVER download ANY app you DON'T want anyone to EVER see!

DG

Ahhh, i must correct myself folks. This has been remedied in IOS 5 and iTunes 10.5 and I only found it this morning whilst playing around.

In iTunes go to your Store then select the new purchased tab on the right, then click apps at the top. If you click an icon a cross will appear, click the cross and you have the option to hide the app. It now won't appear on other iPhones via App update or in the iTunes store.

If at any time you want it back you log into your account and you'll see an option for hidden apps.

The only thing I'd add to this would be the option to have a different passwords for account options and iTunes store as any tech savvy "other half" or child could easily access the "hidden" info.

Ultimately a separate iTunes account for this type of stuff is the only way but the apps can still be found by someone nosing on the phone.

Summary: NEVER download ANY app you DON'T want anyone to EVER see!

DG

Good advice. That's why I've bullshitted Mrs T to say we have to use separate computers for our respective iphones, especially as my diary updates to my phone. Plus have a lock on your phone too.

can i ask wht this app is and where i may find it

can i ask wht this app is and where i may find it

I'm talking about the official App Store app that's standard on iPhone.

Click:

App Store

Updates

Purchased

Not on this iPhone

At least the Apps can now be hidden!

DG