asianfever

New Photoshop Feature - Possible Security/anonymity Threat?

12 posts in this topic

I think there was an inevitability that this technology would be made available to the man in the street. It's been used for years by security services.

And yes, I think it could, in the wrong hands, compromise a WGs anonymity, which is bad for them, and ultimately bad for punters as we could see a return to bodyshots with no heads.

And yes, I think it could, in the wrong hands, compromise a WGs anonymity, which is bad for them, and ultimately bad for punters as we could see a return to bodyshots with no heads.

I'd like to say right now I don't mind the nicely-placed-hat, or the sexy-turn-away, or the shot from the side.

I don't want to see ladies with their heads cut off afterwards. Or paper bags. I'll accept those swinger masks at a push.

http://www.petapixel...urring-feature/

Saw this mentioned earlier, and while I can think of legit uses for unblurring a photo (as demonstrated in the article), surely this could be used to unblur a deliberately blurred face in a wg's photo?

Don't be sensationalist. It's designed to correct camera shake and whilst it can replace some information not in the original image it's far fetched to suggest that it could unblur a deliberately blurred face. :unsure:

B

Don't be sensationalist. It's designed to correct camera shake and whilst it can replace some information not in the original image it's far fetched to suggest that it could unblur a deliberately blurred face. :unsure:

B

It depends on what information is held in the image file. If the editing information is held then it could revert, not by unblurring, but by merely reverting to a former version.

There is heaps of info held in digital pics, for a start the camera make, model and settings. Goodness knows what else is held there, certainly with the recent cameras, where the camera was.

It depends on what information is held in the image file. If the editing information is held then it could revert, not by unblurring, but by merely reverting to a former version.

There is heaps of info held in digital pics, for a start the camera make, model and settings. Goodness knows what else is held there, certainly with the recent cameras, where the camera was.

If you are really worried...

1. Take the picture.

2. Edit the picture to your satisfaction.

3. With it fully on-screen to the size you require, or larger.

4. Press the PrtScr button on your keyboard.

5. Paste the clipboard grab into a new image in your photo editing programme.

6. Edit again as required.

7. Save or Export the new image.

8. All the old data should have been removed.

It is extra work and there will be a loss of quality, but if it gives you peace of mind?

Edited by Corus Boy

It is extra work and there will be a loss of quality, but if it gives you peace of mind?

That'll certainly work, but rather easier, assuming that you really are using Adobe Photoshop, or Photoshop Elements, when you are done editing, "Save for Web", which will strip out all of the metadata. Other image editing programs almost certainly have a similar facility.

(One intriguing thing that I noticed a while back is that it is possible to block the face on the main image, but to still leave it visible in the thumb-nail hidden inside the image-file! I'm afraid that I don't know what editing program was used in the case in question.)

B

Precisely. The pictures which are on the above links from OP, was not blurred. They either out of focus (but I doubt it), or more likely taken without Image stabilasation setting, or by somebody who has a Parkinson. (or they were phtoshoped that way in the first place to show the difference)

As far as to unblur the blurred pictures, its almost impossible. Even to more or less unsckwirl swirled photos (as in the well known pedophile case) requires vast amount of skills and not as easy as straight forward as described here. Still: nobody using it now, anyway.

Edited by Xenia

Precisely. The pictures which are on the above links from OP, was not blurred. They either out of focus (but I doubt it), or more likely taken without Image stabilasation setting, or by somebody who has a Parkinson. (or they were phtoshoped that way in the first place to show the difference)

As far as to unblur the blurred pictures, its almost impossible.

While it sounds unlikely, linked from my earlier link, this is interesting:

Kevin Lynch

Some people on there seem to be suggesting the original photo wasn't blurry at all, and was deliberately blurred that way in photoshop. Presumably Adobe would get caught out quite quickly tho if this was the case with all their other examples.

1. Take the picture.

2. Edit the picture to your satisfaction.

3. With it fully on-screen to the size you require, or larger.

4. Press the PrtScr button on your keyboard.

5. Paste the clipboard grab into a new image in your photo editing programme.

6. Edit again as required.

7. Save or Export the new image.

8. All the old data should have been removed.

I didn't say I was worried? Anyway, if others are, then they can do as you say.

http://www.flickr.co...@N06/5117266025

Some people on there seem to be suggesting the original photo wasn't blurry at all, and was deliberately blurred that way in photoshop. Presumably Adobe would get caught out quite quickly tho if this was the case with all their other examples.

Adobe have issued a reply to this: http://blogs.adobe.c...sneak-peek.html (see "Update")

I figure if they can unblur a motion blurred image (which blurs by varying amounts), and this is "much more complicated than anything we can simulate using Photoshop’s blur capabilities", then I see no reason why it couldn't be used to unblur a photo deliberately made that way using the less-complicated Photoshop functionality.

No intention to be sensationalist - but while it sounds unlikely, I wouldn't write it off as impossible.

Edited by asianfever

There's a bit of odd advice being bandied around here. As far as I know (and it's a fair bit where computers and image processing is concerned),

1. .JPG files do not contain any revision history, old versions or embedded thumbnails.

2. If you take a screenshot of an image it's just as likely to contain exactly the same content as the original

3. Any blurring tool in software uses a variant of geometric processing that given enough processing power and time can be undone to some degree.

There was the case of the paedo from a couple of years back where they caught the guy who had been using underage girls in Thailand. They took the unusual step of showing the image they had reconstructed from the blurred (swirled) original and while not perfect it would have been easily recognisable to acquaintances.

The only foolproof method is to use a solid block (circle, oval, star) right on the top of the face - but this looks bad. So best to use turnaway shots or props in my opinion.

Mark