Taggart

Should Punters Be Worried About Phone Tracking Technology?

17 posts in this topic

Like a number of punters, I am a bit of a techie, and having upgraded to the iPhone 4S, having realised the strength of some of its features, am just starting to get a bit twitchy.

Because it's an expensive piece of kit, you have a 'Find my iPhone' feature, which will allow you via the iCloud website to find out where you've left your phone. There has been a recent UK case where a guy's iPad was stolen, and recovered from the thief using this method. Then, in a US case this weekend, a guy checks on his wife, and suspicious of her movements, calls her, and she says she'd somewhere different to her position shown by the phone's GPS. Not sure if Blackberry's have this capability or if its just iPhones.

Add to that the availability of tracking software, and you may understand, why as a punter, I am twitchy.

Yes, switch the phone off and use a second device, but the chances of getting caught out are high. At least if plod came calling and made accusations, you could prove where you may have been.......

Still, it's a worrying development. Any other punters feel similarly concerned or am I the only one with paranoia???????

I have an Android phone so don't think I have to worry about that one (yet)

It is similar to making sure that the texts you send are deleted in-case someone reads them

Like a number of punters, I am a bit of a techie, and having upgraded to the iPhone 4S, having realised the strength of some of its features, am just starting to get a bit twitchy. Because it's an expensive piece of kit, you have a 'Find my iPhone' feature, which will allow you via the iCloud website to find out where you've left your phone. There has been a recent UK case where a guy's iPad was stolen, and recovered from the thief using this method. Then, in a US case this weekend, a guy checks on his wife, and suspicious of her movements, calls her, and she says she'd somewhere different to her position shown by the phone's GPS. Not sure if Blackberry's have this capability or if its just iPhones. Add to that the availability of tracking software, and you may understand, why as a punter, I am twitchy. Yes, switch the phone off and use a second device, but the chances of getting caught out are high. At least if plod came calling and made accusations, you could prove where you may have been....... Still, it's a worrying development. Any other punters feel similarly concerned or am I the only one with paranoia???????

I use a basic dedicated paid for in cash PAYG punting phone, i dont need anything more. I hope punters take the precautions necessary not to get caught out. :)

I use a basic dedicated paid for in cash PAYG punting phone, i dont need anything more. I hope punters take the precautions necessary not to get caught out. :)

Absolutely agree - a basic text and voice only handset with a PAYG SIM from e.g. Tesco Mobile. £10 has lasted me about 8 months; can top it up with cash at any newsagent and it's hardly a big cost in the scheme of things.

Mark

Absolutely agree - a basic text and voice only handset with a PAYG SIM from e.g. Tesco Mobile. £10 has lasted me about 8 months; can top it up with cash at any newsagent and it's hardly a big cost in the scheme of things.

Mark

I'm just the same, PAYG is all I use for punting too.

However, I think the OP was more concerned about his other half checking the whereabouts of his iPhone which he's still likely to have with him. For that reason I never activated Find my iPhone through Mobile Me (prior to iCloud) on mine and because my other half has shared access to my iTunes account I won't be using iCloud either. I do feel pissed of that I'm having to deny myself some Apple features but my OH is "quite" likely to "find DG's iPhone" given the facilty.

These things are amazing and getting better all the while but with technology comes more chance of getting caught out.

DG

I also advise anyone with iPhone or iPad to read my thread in the Techie forum about sharing access to your iTunes account. http://www.punternet...post__p__332032

All this tracking technology is quite worrying... Phone Location Tracking: Google Defends, Apple Stays Mum | PCWorld

As whilst I have a cheap 'dumb' PAYG handset for punting I rarely remember to switch off my primary smartphone when going on punts so could be tracked still.

I have an Android phone so don't think I have to worry about that one (yet)

There are plenty of Android apps that can do the same thing though... :ph34r:

All this tracking technology is quite worrying... Phone Location Tracking: Google Defends, Apple Stays Mum | PCWorld

As whilst I have a cheap 'dumb' PAYG handset for punting I rarely remember to switch off my primary smartphone when going on punts so could be tracked still.

There are plenty of Android apps that can do the same thing though... :ph34r:

The saving grace though is iPhone tracking is turned on/off from the iPhone and, as far as I can see, can't be remotely activated. I don't have mine logged on to iCloud so it would be a stretch of the imagination to activate tracking remotely. I think Apple should have thought through the privacy a lot more, it would make sense that tracking data could be accessed only by a unique password known only to the owner (or guardian if a child). This same password should also be required to turn tracking on/off.

I shall just leave mine minus iCloud and if my non techie other half ever asks about iCloud and do "we" have it I'll say I don't trust it's secure enough and don't want it!

DG

Because it's an expensive piece of kit, you have a 'Find my iPhone' feature,

Just because there is already preinstalled "Find my phone" feature in the Iphone 4S, you still need to activate to be able to use it. Also the app need to be installed on other phones or gps enabled devices to be able to trace where your phone located.

If not not any above is activated, I cant understand why is such a paranoia?

The android google app tracks and stores your location in your account. You can then share your location with your friends, and use it to meet up with others.

I love it, comes back with statistics of how many miles I have driven, flown in a year. Also how long I have been at home, in the office, Maybe I could add new categories of how many hours punting.

You can set it to only show the city. I don;t worry too much that my better half has access to this. Only really punt when I am away on work. so punting is in cities I should be in. I don't often turn on the GPS, so the location is often only within a mile or so of where you actually are.

In any case you can turn off location sharing,(suspicious) or even set the location where you should actually be. Also I don't run internet connection all the time to save battery power.

Doesn't worry me as I have an older iPhone that is located via Mobile Me and that has to be activated by signing into my Mobile Me account with a password. The other half doesn't know what that password is.

I have an old style PAYG no frills phone for punting.

My regular phone (supplied by my employer) is a 6months old iphone.

I can just about make & recieve calls and do texting on it. Not a techie me.

I can't even turn the thing off. When on a punt iphone goes in the glove box.

So my question is this.

Should that locator thing be turned on can it distinguish if the car is parked in Something Industrial Estate or

outside Sexy Sue's house about half a mile away.

I have an old style PAYG no frills phone for punting.

My regular phone (supplied by my employer) is a 6months old iphone.

I can just about make & recieve calls and do texting on it. Not a techie me.

I can't even turn the thing off. When on a punt iphone goes in the glove box.

So my question is this.

Should that locator thing be turned on can it distinguish if the car is parked in Something Industrial Estate or

outside Sexy Sue's house about half a mile away.

Maps picks out my house and the push pin appears about 10' from where I'm sitting. I couldn't doubt the Find My iPhone would be any different but I just logged into iCloud on the iPhone, activated Find my F'ing iPhone and then went to iCloud online - Bingo, just the same. I have now DELETED my iCloud account from the iPhone, Apple can shove their 5GB of free data storage, I'll back mine up manually and securely thank-you.

DG

If it’s the other half you are worried about a few simple precautions and a bit of common senses will prevail. If it’s plod then all the turn me of features in the world won’t help you. They can track and prove where you are or have been easily with various techniques.

Depending on who you believe, some claim that even switching your phone off does not help as plod can still prove it. However I am not to convinced that’s true.

Thanks all of you. My OH is more techie than me and had activated the locate my phone feature ... now disabled.

Most smart phones now have GPS features, but they will need software to be able to use it. Like any computer everybody should know what software is running on your phone. The security of mobile devices has been the hot topic in IT security circles for a year or two now.