Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
willbred

Anti - Trafficking Campaign

50 posts in this topic

Happened to attend a coffee morning with my wife today at which a petition was passed round in connection with the above topic. On reading the petition, I noticed that not only was it against trafficking of women ( and children) - which I absolutely support 100%, but it went on to connect all forms of advertisng for sex directly with trafficking. A major presumption IMHO.

I had no optioon but to sign, as the other half was watching closely. Felt a bit of a Judas!!

Happened to attend a coffee morning with my wife today at which a petition was passed round in connection with the above topic. On reading the petition, I noticed that not only was it against trafficking of women ( and children) - which I absolutely support 100%, but it went on to connect all forms of advertisng for sex directly with trafficking. A major presumption IMHO. I had no optioon but to sign, as the other half was watching closely. Felt a bit of a Judas!!

The usual then. Ignorant people not interested in finding out the actual true FACTS or the femi-nazis and other antis who know the true facts but choose to ignore them by brushing them under the carpet as they dont suit their agendas.

Happened to attend a coffee morning with my wife today at which a petition was passed round in connection with the above topic. On reading the petition, I noticed that not only was it against trafficking of women ( and children) - which I absolutely support 100%, but it went on to connect all forms of advertisng for sex directly with trafficking. A major presumption IMHO.

I had no optioon but to sign, as the other half was watching closely. Felt a bit of a Judas!!

Of course you had an option to sign and by doing so even though you were not happy with the contents you've simply added

further weight to those that 'presume' .

So no chance to have an adult discussion about the subject at the coffee morning?

Of course you had an option to sign and by doing so even though you were not happy with the contents you've simply added

further weight to those that 'presume' .

Very understanding of you ukp. You are right of course that the OP should have denounced the petition as ill-informed to his wife and proceeded to fill her in on the true facts of the sex industry in the UK, all gleaned from his own first hand experience. I am sure he would then be basking in the glow of your approval instead of the stern disapproval shown above :rolleyes: .

mebbe having the view that HMG still fail to control illegal immigration in all its forms due to the totally useless border agency. Sheesh, they find a load of illegals, then bail em and surprise surprise, they never answer their bail.

Very understanding of you ukp. You are right of course that the OP should have denounced the petition as ill-informed to his wife and proceeded to fill her in on the true facts of the sex industry in the UK, all gleaned from his own first hand experience. I am sure he would then be basking in the glow of your approval instead of the stern disapproval shown above :rolleyes: .

And what exactly are the true facts? I have a problem with the true facts since trafficking does exist ! Are the true facts what one side believes and has no room to budge - on either side simply because one side denounces the sex industry and the other partakes of it?

There is a middle way, though. Scratch your head and say, "Wasn't there an article in the Guardian a few months back on this...?"

There is a middle way, though. Scratch your head and say, "Wasn't there an article in the Guardian a few months back on this...?"

Yes there was, but The Poppy Project have been in Downing Street this week, no doubt putting the moral armlock on DC, so business as usual, keep the grants flowing.

And what exactly are the true facts? I have a problem with the true facts since trafficking does exist ! Are the true facts what one side believes and has no room to budge - on either side simply because one side denounces the sex industry and the other partakes of it?

None of us know the true statistics, and I totally recognise that trafficking is a problem that needs to be addressed. However, what I am convinced of is that banning "all forms of advertising directly for sex" (as suggested by the OPs petition) will not help trafficked women in the slightest. What is a true fact is that it would severely hinder most women who participate on this board in the conduct of their daily, legal business. That is what I referred to in the post you quoted Sarah.

Ah, but I don't read the Guardian Mr B :) .

You are right in principle though, but I have found (like the OP), that the KISS principle is best invoked when covering the tracks of my secret life and denial of knowledge of all forms of prostitution is certainly simple.

None of us know the true statistics, and I totally recognise that trafficking is a problem that needs to be addressed. However, what I am convinced of is that banning "all forms of advertising directly for sex" (as suggested by the OPs petition) will not help trafficked women in the slightest. What is a true fact is that it would severely hinder most women who participate on this board in the conduct of their daily, legal business. That is what I referred to in the post you quoted Sarah.

While I and ladies like me enjoy a good life doing this....... there are others who do not, and that is why I won't stick my head above the parapet and tell the press how comfortable my life is. I know things about this industry, such as it provides an umbrella for the evil to carry on. So like the hypocrite I am, I work and enjoy my job but refuse to go along with the idea that the government lies ad nauseum. I know bad things go on, I know it because I witness it in another capacity. Sorry if this rankles with the die--hards on here.

No rankling with this punter SS. There is undoubtedly an underbelly to this industry that is both unpleasant and exploitative, albeit one that I have never knowingly come into contact with. Trouble is, this punter doesn't know what to do about it. Denouncing the whole industry as evil is definitely not the way to go about solving the problem, I am sure of that.

I'm open to suggestions mind.

most trafficking is for low paid work in the hotel,agriculture,fast food & restuarant industries,do we then ban adverts from those industries?

the simple reason that trafficking exists is because of the uk lax immigration & border controls,we are an island so it should be easy to prevent human trafficking whether it be for the sex industry or other industries

most trafficking is for low paid work in the hotel,agriculture,fast food & restuarant industries,do we then ban adverts from those industries?

the simple reason that trafficking exists is because of the uk lax immigration & border controls,we are an island so it should be easy to prevent human trafficking whether it be for the sex industry or other industries

Trafficking is not simply about illegal immigration! There are many forms of trafficking going on right under your nose right now in all of our towns and cities :(

No rankling with this punter SS. There is undoubtedly an underbelly to this industry that is both unpleasant and exploitative, albeit one that I have never knowingly come into contact with. Trouble is, this punter doesn't know what to do about it. Denouncing the whole industry as evil is definitely not the way to go about solving the problem, I am sure of that.

I'm open to suggestions mind.

No probs. I'm not trying to be awkward here in any way

I know bad things go on, I know it because I witness it in another capacity. Sorry if this rankles with the die--hards on here.

Yes, bad things go on, but not just in the sex industry. Trafficking has become synonimous (?) with the sex industry in the public eye thanks largely to the feminist campaigners, but their are many many souls who get over looked, the domestic servants, the agricultural gangs, the chinese cockle pickers, etc. etc. How can it be possible for people to live and (be forced to) work in this country without there being a whole chain of people in and out of positions of authority who know it's going on ? Follow the money, it's the same old story.

I'm disappointed, why not just refuse to sign "this rubbish". I do it all the time when people ask me to sign stupid petitions. You will be surprised at how many others will follow your lead and also refuse.

Wyke Tyke - if I had been out in the street on me tod and some misguided femi-nazi came up to me with such a petition, I would strongly advise her where to shove it. However, back in the real world when my missus's well - intentioned but very niaive middle class lady friends politely do so, it would set alarm bells ringing were I to blow my cover and suddenly have opinions on such matters. I sense some posters are missing the point I was trying to make.

But loved Northwind's sarcasm - pmsl, infact.

Anyway - just booked 90 minutes with my fave reg for tomorrow - she doesn't advertise presently, so she can't possibly be trafficked!!

Blame the lack of regulation and controls, sites like ** do not do anywhere near the checks they should and as a direct result they do have numbers of trafficked girls on them its a 100% fact. Until there is control and responsibility taken then there will always be calls to shut it all dow and the better providers and places will be tarred by those that aren't.

Edited by TheLBB

However, back in the real world when my missus's well - intentioned but very niaive middle class lady friends politely do so, it would set alarm bells ringing were I to blow my cover and suddenly have opinions on such matters. I sense some posters are missing the point I was trying to make.

But loved Northwind's sarcasm - pmsl, infact.

Anyway - just booked 90 minutes with my fave reg for tomorrow - she doesn't advertise presently, so she can't possibly be trafficked!!

I would have relished the opportunity you were given to argue the case not to sign. My wife knows where I stand on the issue of trafficking and sex workers. We have adult conversations about these issues. Even so could have quoted articles from papers.

However, back in the real world when my missus's well - intentioned but very niaive middle class lady friends politely do so, it would set alarm bells ringing were I to blow my cover and suddenly have opinions on such matters. I sense some posters are missing the point I was trying to make.

If having an opinion on such subjects make your wife suspicious, I think you have much bigger problem to contend with.

However it doesn't stop you getting creative, Nitpick some minor point on it. Play the Liberal, "People should be able to come to this country freely". Play the Bigot, "We should deport them all not molly coddle them". Appeal to authority, e.g. "Jeremy Paxman rubbished this a while back". "OK, give me a fresh sheet I'll take it to work", sign the top and put it in your pocket and bin it later".

Trafficking is not simply about illegal immigration! There are many forms of trafficking going on right under your nose right now in all of our towns and cities :(

my point exactly! the uk has lax immigration & border controls which if they were enforced properly would stop human trafficking,we are an island after all,its not as if were usa on the border with mexico

its all too easy to confuse trafficking with being forced,very often trafficking is voluntary,ie., migrant sex workers coming from poland,rumania to earn more in the uk

the uk has lax immigration & border controls which if they were enforced properly would stop human trafficking,

Those being trafficked do not always come in by conventional methods as in Ports or Borders. Trafficking is a complex, highly lucrative

business which has good money behind it to allow it to succeed, Customs are fighting a losing battle on all fronts not just trafficking.

Making Joe/Joanne Public more aware, raising the profile of the problem would help but as it seems to be just a nasty word to most

then i doubt that the problem is going to reduce any time soon.

Sex Workers being trafficked is a problem and one that should take some sort of priority but it's not the only group of workers being

exploited for financial gain.