Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Irgendeiner

Killing Stolen Cellphones

3 posts in this topic

I am sorry to see a posting here today by a lady who has just been robbed at knife-point by a client, who stole her telephone, so she hasn't got his number to post as a warning to others.

At a guess, robbers will take the telephone to make it less easy for the victim to dial "999" quickly, and may well dump it swiftly in a litter bin, or equally swiftly pass it on.

But, some of these stolen handsets, particularly Blackberries and other high end devices, are taken to either use or sell for profit?

How many of us know the IMEI of our hand-set(s)? If you have a note of the IMEI, which in many cases can be revealed by keying *#06# , then you can usually have that handset killed, even if a new SIM card has been fitted.

For more detail (most of which is well beyond my "O" Level maths) see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Mobile_Equipment_Identity

Apple offer a facility to find your stolen iphone, wipe all the data from it and render it useless to the thief. You have to have the option switched on via the phone itself and you can sew it up so a thief cannot switch the function off.

IMEI's can easily be replaced on a handset.

Once the operator is notified they should automatically barr the handsets IMEI on any UK network. Most of these stolen devices end up abroad where the UK database does not extend to.

IMEI could be changed previously (although it’s highly illegal) however I am sure they are a lot more difficult if not impossible to do with the new devices.