Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
elrond

New Home Office Review On Prostitution

5 posts in this topic

A new home office review on prostitution has been published.

http://www.uknswp.or...rostitution.pdf

It seems to be more a discussion document, with case studies from a number of cities. Not all bad studies with some reasonable examples.

It does announce a document waiting to be published by ACPO on policing prostitution and sexual exploitation.

Thanks for this Elrond. Would be grateful if you could post a similar link to the ACPO document when it is released,

I welcome the news that they are interested in the views of those involved in the prostitution trade, and that they want to encourage prostitutes to be able to approach the police to report assaults etc. The previous lot seemed to be trying their best to ignore the views of those in the prostitution trade and just wanted to push along with their own radfem agenda.

I wasn't too enamoured with the part of the quote below from Lynne Featherstone.

Prevention is a key part of effective local strategies.. .but

prevention can also help more broadly, with enforcement measures against those

engaged in exploitation, or those who create demand for prostitution by buying sex.

By all means have appropriate punishments for those engaged in exploitation, but the mentioning of the trying to tackle the demand side of prostitution sounds like the same old same old the last lot were attempting. If they're serious about the safety of prostitutes, and listening to the views of those involved in the sex trade they'll forget about the tackling the demand for what is consensual sex.

By all means have appropriate punishments for those engaged in exploitation, but the mentioning of the trying to tackle the demand side of prostitution sounds like the same old same old the last lot were attempting. If they're serious about the safety of prostitutes, and listening to the views of those involved in the sex trade they'll forget about the tackling the demand for what is consensual sex.

I think that to achieve this is probably like reaching the holy grail, however I do think that it poses some difficult issues both for the "punting community", and the wider populace, some of whom oppose prostitution.

To achieve greater safety for prostitutes requires imo a fundamental shift in societal attitudes towards prostitutes. Only when that happens will it truly become easier for a prostitute who has been robbed or assaulted to come forward and report such incidents. This fear of stigma is regrettably one aspect that does contribute to the vulnerability of prostitutes to a criminal element who see them as easy prey. We know what has happened in the past when parlours have reported robberies. Even a WG working alone (entirely legally) would more than likely be reluctant to press charges assuming the robber or rapist were caught. It is all too easy to imagine the local or national press rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of reporting a salacious story with little thought for the consequences for the victim of the crime.

For those who visit prostitutes I believe we have a fundamental obligation to treat the WGs we visit with respect. It is only by repeatedly demonstrating that truth that we can hope to try and persuade the broader population at large that we have a case. I would hope that most punters could honestly say that they are respectful, but to those that overstep the mark, or behave in a disrespectful manner I have nothing but contempt.

I think that to achieve this is probably like reaching the holy grail, however I do think that it poses some difficult issues both for the "punting community", and the wider populace, some of whom oppose prostitution.

To achieve greater safety for prostitutes requires imo a fundamental shift in societal attitudes towards prostitutes. Only when that happens will it truly become easier for a prostitute who has been robbed or assaulted to come forward and report such incidents. This fear of stigma is regrettably one aspect that does contribute to the vulnerability of prostitutes to a criminal element who see them as easy prey. We know what has happened in the past when parlours have reported robberies. Even a WG working alone (entirely legally) would more than likely be reluctant to press charges assuming the robber or rapist were caught. It is all too easy to imagine the local or national press rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of reporting a salacious story with little thought for the consequences for the victim of the crime.

For those who visit prostitutes I believe we have a fundamental obligation to treat the WGs we visit with respect. It is only by repeatedly demonstrating that truth that we can hope to try and persuade the broader population at large that we have a case. I would hope that most punters could honestly say that they are respectful, but to those that overstep the mark, or behave in a disrespectful manner I have nothing but contempt.

This is possibly the most sensible thing I have read here on this subject.