Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WykeTyke

Canada Prostitution Laws Pulverised: Politicians Apoplectic

3 posts in this topic

Canada prostitution laws pulverised: politicians apoplectic

The decision, handed down by the High Court in Ontario, effectively abolished laws banning street soliciting (communicating for the purposes of prostitution), working together from premises (bawdy house) and living off the avails of prostitution. The decision followed a legal challenge from three sex workers who argued that these laws directly endangered their health and forced them into unsafe working conditions

More details on Bedford v Canada

This got me wondering if perhaps the UK Human Rights laws might be used in a similar way to challenge existing laws.

The Right to life is pretty directly threatened by driving prostitution underground. Sasha's case provides a good example, anybody knowing about it, would in future be reluctant to report violent robberies for fear of prosecution.

The Right to a Private life, "courts have interpreted the concept of ‘private life’ in a very broad way. It covers things like your right to choose your sexual identity, your lifestyle, and the way you look and dress" and "The concept of private life also covers your right to develop your personality and to develop friendships and other relationships." Prostitute and Punter are very much a lifestyle choices and sexual identity.

Existing laws and political campaigning causing stigmatisation seem to violate freedoms of expression and assembly/association.

Perhaps some of our legally knowledge could comment on these thoughts.

"The decision, handed down by the High Court in Ontario, effectively abolished laws banning street soliciting (communicating for the purposes of prostitution), working together from premises (bawdy house) and living off the avails of prostitution."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/10/01/canada_prostitution/

Interesting. I wonder if this will improve the situation for

- workers

- clients

- society

Here in the UK do we really need any such change? Seems like everything is going okay at the moment?

I'm glad there's all this pressure now on the authorities in Canada to abolish anti-prostitution laws. I just hope that when the Court of Appeal finally makes a decision they decide in favour of rubber stamping Judge Susan Himel's verdict in the High Court.