pvcman

Iphone 4s - Anybody Got One Yet?

14 posts in this topic

I don't want to particularly debate the merits of Apple versus other phones e.g. Android or why people wouldn't buy Apple products (there are several threads already on this topic.)

However I am interested to know if anyone has got an iPhone 4S and what are their first impressions of it.

I have one as my upgrade happened to coincide with the day the 4s was released. I went from the 3gs to the 4s but I'm not finding it loads better.

There are a few extra features that are fun such as siri, but the best thing about it is the battery life, which is a hell of a lot better than the 3gs.

I've used it as a 'personal hotspot', which worked brilliantly well until I discovered I'd used all my data allowance for a month in about 2 hours.

All in all I love it, but I loved the 3gs too.

Can you get them from Apple easily I notice it says two weeks delivery and people are selling them for like double the RRP on eBay

I got mine the day it was launched in the UK, and compared to my old 3G, it's a tremendous improvement. Processing speed is blindingly fast - noticed this on email, maps and other apps especilly on wifi. GPS seems more accurate and I quite like Siri. Some nice new ringtones too.

Overall a worthwhile change.

Can you get them from Apple easily I notice it says two weeks delivery and people are selling them for like double the RRP on eBay

I ordered an unlocked one from Apple a week ago and the delivery time quoted was 1-2 weeks so I should be getting it next week hopefully. if it is 2 weeks then that's not too unreasonable - I certainly wouldn't pay double RRP on ebay for one.

I saw this news report but mine seems OK. At the moment....................

I got the iPhone 4 on the day it was released in UK, i absolutely love it, cant really fault it.

If i didnt have it, id love to have the iPhone 4s. But instead im going to wait for the iPhone 5. The only real difference from 4 to 4s is HD 720 to now 1080, and one other thing i forget.

I mentioned in my response that I thought the battery life was much better than my previous 3gs, so I imagine any battery problem doesn't apply across the board.

I ordered mine via Carphone Warehouse on the Tuesday after it was launched and got it on the Thursday, even though they said I may have to wait a week or so.

As others have said, it's incredibly fast. I forgot to mention that.

So far as the camera is concerned, as well (unless this is a spoof) as a voice control thinngy, you might find this movie interesting: www.digitalrev.com/en/iphone-4s-camera-hands-on-review-9536-article.html

(funny - I couldn't paste that link in - had to copy it by hand!) Pretty girl, albeit fully dressed, but it does seem that the iphone camera is about to replace the compact point'n shoot camera!

I mentioned in my response that I thought the battery life was much better than my previous 3gs, so I imagine any battery problem doesn't apply across the board.

I ordered mine via Carphone Warehouse on the Tuesday after it was launched and got it on the Thursday, even though they said I may have to wait a week or so.

As others have said, it's incredibly fast. I forgot to mention that.

Seconded. Feels a lot slicker and I'm also liking the stuff that was brought in with ios5. I've got Siri turned off though as he did nothing but piss me off :(

iCloud sync is a godsend!

I'm considering upgrading to a 4s, have been out of contract with Orange now for over a year, so I just called the customer services, and got quoted the printed price plans, with only a 10% discount, I've been with Orange for 6yrs now, so expect a good deal, I asked to be put through to disconnections aka customer retentions, and the guy told me that no discounts are allowed with I-phones, this comes from the top, Is this BS or what? I'm now considering moving network.

I'm considering upgrading to a 4s, have been out of contract with Orange now for over a year, so I just called the customer services, and got quoted the printed price plans, with only a 10% discount, I've been with Orange for 6yrs now, so expect a good deal, I asked to be put through to disconnections aka customer retentions, and the guy told me that no discounts are allowed with I-phones, this comes from the top, Is this BS or what? I'm now considering moving network.

Jerboa, I have an iPhone 4 and was thinking of upgrading to an iPhone 4S. If you are to sign a long contract, i.e. 18 months or more, then you will forego the chance to a free upgrade for the iPhone 5 which should be out next summer.

For me the only attraction of the iPhone 4S was Siri, but I have now seen this on a friend's iPhone 4S and was not too impressed by it. Unless, one speaks very clearly, the voice recognition system doesn't understand things. When the system understands what you say, then it can be fun but still it is quite slow. Every time you ask a question, the personal attendant (Siri) contacts Apple's servers and then comes back with an answer. The process is quite slow. The speed difference is around 15% between iPhone 4 and 4S, and the camera at 8MP is good, but a phone camera can never be a substitute for a stand alone digital camera. If you are upgrading from any other phone or from an older iPhone, then the move is worth it, but from iPhone 4 to iPhone 4S, it probably isn't worth the upgrade.

I am not on any network, so I cannot advise you here. I have an unlocked iPhone 4.

Take care. asianbeast.

Siri was the only thing that interested me as I already have the iPhone 4, but as asianbeast says there are speed issues. During the instore demo I likened it to using the Soundhound app, it took that long. iCloud is useful for synching calendars and diaries so I like the OS upgrade. I always buy iPhones outright as I find it cheaper over the longer term and will probably hold out now until the iPhone 5. I mostly use GPS stuff anyway which is a big battery drainer so I'm presently interested in researching spare battery packs. If only I could invent a lightweight battery...