Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pooter

Edinburgh Court Case

6 posts in this topic

I see in the evening news an illegal immigrant has been jailed for 9 months for allowing his flat to be used as a brothel. The girls were thai. It seems a high sentence, but what is striking is how random these prosecutions seem to be. There must be a couple of dozen makeshift brothels on the go at any one time, largely ignored by the police. I wonder if you keep the operation small, and only let your flat to scottish girls, are you left to get on with it. ?

Can you give us a link, or are you one of the traditionalists who reads the printed page, rustling and folding it as you sit squashed into the train!

And, yes, these cases do always look random, but I doubt they are! Has a newly promoted DI decided to bring his/her name to the attention of the great and good, or has a more senior figure heard on the grape-vine that the Lady Councillor on the Police Committee who has the task of putting names forward for the QPM, has mentioned that it is a disgrace that so little is done to deal with traffickers? Has a new fiscal given an in-service training lecture on the definitions of the various sex-trade offences?

We will, probably, never know.

Can you give us a link ....

http://www.scotsman....othel_1_1940065

"A THAI student who allowed his upmarket flat in the Capital to be used as a brothel was sentenced to nine months in prison today.

Tanasak Sopatai, 27, who travelled to the UK on a student visa, allowed the Castle Terrace flat to be used by Thai women who used it as a brothel, the court heard.

He had pleaded guilty at the city’s Sheriff Court earlier this month that being the tenant, lessee or occupier he knowingly permitted the premises or any part of it to be used as a brothel or for the purposes of habitual prostitution.

His defence agent Graeme Runcie told Edinburgh Sheriff Court: “He willingly allowed the premises to be used as a brothel.

“There were girls working there, they were Thai, their English was limited. Mt Sopatai met them in London, his English was better but by no means perfect.”

“His purpose was to meet up with a landlord and to sign a lease. There was no financial input for Mr Sopatai. The money for the rent was paid by the girls. They were using his mastery of the English language.”

Mr Runcie said his client had already served the equivalent of eight months in prison.

He said his client had overstayed his Visa, and wished to return to Thailand as soon as possible.

Sheriff Paul Arthurson said: “You have pled guilty to a serious charge. I am satisfied that I can impose a backdated custodial sentence for a duration of nine months.”

The sentence will be backdated to 27 June."

Don't try to understand how the law works in Scotland. The Scottish Parliament has just passed a law with a penalty of 5 years in jail for singing a traditional song at a football match. Much more than you get for knifing someone.

I don't find that defence cover story very convincing.

http://www.scotsman....othel_1_1940065

"A THAI student who allowed his upmarket flat in the Capital to be used as a brothel was sentenced to nine months in prison today.

Tanasak Sopatai, 27, who travelled to the UK on a student visa, allowed the Castle Terrace flat to be used by Thai women who used it as a brothel, the court heard.

He had pleaded guilty at the city’s Sheriff Court earlier this month that being the tenant, lessee or occupier he knowingly permitted the premises or any part of it to be used as a brothel or for the purposes of habitual prostitution.

His defence agent Graeme Runcie told Edinburgh Sheriff Court: “He willingly allowed the premises to be used as a brothel.

“There were girls working there, they were Thai, their English was limited. Mt Sopatai met them in London, his English was better but by no means perfect.”

“His purpose was to meet up with a landlord and to sign a lease. There was no financial input for Mr Sopatai. The money for the rent was paid by the girls. They were using his mastery of the English language.”

Mr Runcie said his client had already served the equivalent of eight months in prison.

He said his client had overstayed his Visa, and wished to return to Thailand as soon as possible.

Sheriff Paul Arthurson said: “You have pled guilty to a serious charge. I am satisfied that I can impose a backdated custodial sentence for a duration of nine months.”

The sentence will be backdated to 27 June."

I guess that the sentence given (ie nine months backdated to the 27 June) would have facilitated this gentleman's immediate release and, hopefully, his return to Thailand by the next available plane.