starman

New Acpo Strategy For Policing Prostitution And Sexual Exploitation

7 posts in this topic

here: http://www.acpo.poli...ober%202011.pdf

interesting comment:

There is a great amount of academic research available, much of which supports the view that an alternative approach is needed. An example would be the decriminalisation and regulation of brothels in Australia and New Zealand, not an answer to all of the related issues but certainly a solution to some. More of those involved in sex work in Australia and New Zealand can now access health services with ease, whilst maintaining more personal security in an emotive area for policing.

Simon Byrne is the Deputy Chief Constable of Greater Manchester Police and is ACPO lead for prostitution and sexual exploitation.

http://www.acpo.poli...xploitatio.aspx

Edited by starman

perhaps this could lead to a serious debate about decriminalising brothels

One might hope so but the reality is probably going to be less than that, maybe greater tolerance of something that will stay illegal. I don't see any major public figure willing to stand up and demand it's legalization. And that may not be a problem, I know of a number of countries where prostitution is legal but brothels are not yet openly operate and advertise.

I have read both the Acpo Document and the Home Office Document. Both contain few new policies, its mostly just a case of restating 'partnership' policies to reduce exploitation,

However, I think there are some interesting points as well. Obviously, what Simon Byrne has said is forward thinking and sensible, The Acpo Document says it does not take a moral view on prostitution (that's welcome - as opposed to Harriet Harman and Jacqui Smith who so obviously did). It admits the law is a mess and needs sorting (I wonder if they partly mean the changes by Labour in their dying days).

But I find the most interesting part in the Home Office Document is about the parlour scene in Manchester. As Simon Byrne has been working there (he's about to move to London), I think this is what he's getting at, about brothels being decriminalised. The section is published below. If only someone would have the courage to adopt this as a policy, and be grown up about it, like in Australia and New Zealand.

The unit are clear with the people they encounter that such premises are illegal, and that

the police as a whole are not turning a blind eye. However the unit’s central focus remains

harm-reduction and the welfare of the women involved, so they will advise on issues

relating to safely, for example on how to look out for a trafficking victim.

The assistance of people involved in prostitution has been vitally important in bringing

prosecutions. Where the police have been able to rescue a trafficked woman, it has

improved the trust they have received from other women at that premises, and the unit has

found that many of the sex workers who are willing to be at the premises genuinely care

about the welfare of the trafficked women, and are quite willing to give statements or

intelligence if they feel it will help the victim.

The police have also found that premises and women are relatively willing to engage on

issues such as trafficking, as they know that reducing exploitation will also reduce the

chances of the premises coming into contact with the police.

The formal ACPO document inevitably toes the current legislative line, but the obiter dicta in the other link, and quoted above, suggest that really he'd like to see an injection of common sense into the strategy.

perhaps this could lead to a serious debate about decriminalising brothels

There has been a lot in the media recently about the legalized brothels in Nevada, such as Moonlite Bunny Ranch. There is a radio programme on Thursday on BBC Radio Leeds at midday which is a report on this. There was an article on this in the Times yesterday. Last week there was something about it on Woman's Hour.

It is important to point out that we wouldn't get places like Moonlite Bunny Ranch in Britain if brothels are legalized. What would happen is that if 2 or 3 women choose to work together for safety they will be able to do it legally instead of prosecuted for running a brothel and money laundering and having their takings confiscated.

The feminist Julie Bindel is partly responsible for the report on Nevada brothels. She is against legalization and decriminalisation. She would have people believe that if we legalize or decriminalise then we would end up with places like Moonlite Bunny Ranch in Britain. That's not what we want or what will happen, we want women to be able to work safely and legally together in flats.

. That's not what we want or what will happen, we want women to be able to work safely and legally together in flats.

Who is 'we'?