pvcman

Google Reverse Image Search

8 posts in this topic

The Tineye tool has been recommended on here over the last year or two to do reverse image searches to check for any fake profiles. I always wondered why Google never offered it.

Well, now it does. You can drag and drop images directly into the search bar. I wonder if it will be more powerful than Tineye???

tinyeye never worked for me anyhow, Google image is better imo.

They work slightly differently. TinEye finds only exact image matches, Google Images find those plus others it judges "visually similar".

I may still use TinEye as back up, but Google is way ahead. TinEye has so far indexed just over 2 billion images; Google Images has an index of some 10 billion. Do the math, as they say.

The Google drag-and-drop facility also gets round the image copying restrictions imposed by a certain well-known punting website.

How does it work, or how are you supposed to use it? I've been dragging images to the address bar/search bar, and all that happens is that the images load into that page/tab, with an IP address in the address pane. How do you interpret results from that? I'm using google chrome by the way, in incognito mode.

How does it work, or how are you supposed to use it? I've been dragging images to the address bar/search bar, and all that happens is that the images load into that page/tab, with an IP address in the address pane. How do you interpret results from that? I'm using google chrome by the way, in incognito mode.

You have to drag and drop into the dedicated Google Images search page: http://www.google.co.uk/imghp

In Firefox there's an add-on for Google Image Search, just as there is for TinEye, so that you can right click the image and go straight from there.

Okay, I see that now, thanks. Still confused though, my results showed a whole host of "similar images", how exactly does that help me identify if the images are fake or genuine?

Okay, I see that now, thanks. Still confused though, my results showed a whole host of "similar images", how exactly does that help me identify if the images are fake or genuine?

As with TinEye, you simply have to assess the results as they come, what they lead you to.

Can get this to work from purple site images in firefox, but not with IE9

Anyone had success in IE9?