Lilly B

Using Hotel Wi-fi

17 posts in this topic

Being a mildly paranoid individual so far as my security goes, and not fully understanding where I leave myself vulnerable browsing online, when I work away and stay in hotels I always use my own broadband dongle (Vodafone £15 credit, lasts until you use it all (not only a month), not bad coverage, speed variable according to your location and time of day/week).

I so want to be able to use the hotels wi-fi if it's fairly priced or free, but seeing as you have to log into their own browser and give your details I'm always bothered that this can then be traced back to what I'm looking at i.e sites like this and the other one and I may give myself away. It often says in the terms that you shouldn't visit inappropriate sites or something similar.

Will private browsing stop this, or going thru a proxy ? when using hotels wi-fi, or shall I stick to me dongle ?

Use a good proxy server and you will be fine...

Interesting question Lilly. I was webcamming recently via free hotel wifi and I felt a bit uneasy as I've no idea how private these networks really are.

JDM. I would use a good proxy server if I knew what that meant!

Use a good proxy server and you will be fine...

Someone recommended "Hide my Ass" http://www.hidemyass.com/ but from what I can see this would only hide your IP from the sites you visit rather than hiding where you browse from your ISP or in the above case the hotel. You still have to type in www.punternet.com etc from your keyboard so I assume the hotel server would log this and so would your ISP. (not that they would be unduly bothered I would have thought)

Is my understanding correct ?

virtual private network (vpn ) is another option.

Yeah Bert that's what I thought, a proxy only hiding you from the place you're browsing, tho not the place your browsing thru, if you get what I mean, and they could know where you're looking.

Erm... un-techy person here... what's a vpn please? In basic language I can understand i.e how do I get or open one ? :)

Edited by Lilly B

Many hotels WIFI will have an adult filter meaning you won't be able to log on to any adult rated websites. For security I would imagine all activity is recorded and that proxy sites would also be inhibited.

I sure that hidemyass is all you need, as far as the hotel would be able to see is that you have visited the hidemyass Website / IP address.

Once you are on the hidemyass website using its free “web Proxy” its as if you are now using a new Browser window that then only hidemyass can see what websites you then visit.

VPN is far more advanced and is more for hiding any file sharing programs you are running when downloading music and films ect.

Aah so using a proxy does go both ways - lets see if I can browse up my surfing a bit more ;)

Thanks all for your inputs

maybe I'm a bit cavalier about this, but I've never tried to conceal my browsing on any public Wifi network, hotel, airport, conference centre, coffee shop etc. As long as it's not actually illegal, does anyone actually give a stuff ?

@ rubens

You staying at a hotel

Me working from a hotel

any potential way of outing myself, or being removed from the hotel, is unacceptable

Discovered I like pub's with free wifi :)

When I am away staying in hotels or just at my working flat I use my mobile phone as a modem, have you thought about doing that, if you have already a phone contract you will not be paying any extra.

Not sure what phone you use but mine is an Android. It has a smashing little 'App' that turns it into a wireless router for use with my mini laptop.

The speed is very useable the connection secure and it does the job perfectly. Much better than - and a quarter of the price of the Orange dongle I had for 18 months! The WIFI package costs me just £5 per month for 1GB on my phone account I find that more than enough when I'm out and about or at my apartment.

The beauty is that you use it through the laptop/notebook as easliy as a normal home broadband connection

I use my iphone as a personal hotspot, as they now call it, but after downloading a podcast and then camming for a few minutes I'd used up my data allowance for a month!

I've paid for an extra bolt on to give me a bigger data allowance, but I've no real idea how long I can cam for before it's used up.

Bloody annoying as 02 changed their tariffs when the iPhone4 came out and there's no unlimited data option now.

Being a mildly paranoid individual so far as my security goes, and not fully understanding where I leave myself vulnerable browsing online, when I work away and stay in hotels I always use my own broadband dongle (Vodafone £15 credit, lasts until you use it all (not only a month), not bad coverage, speed variable according to your location and time of day/week).

I so want to be able to use the hotels wi-fi if it's fairly priced or free, but seeing as you have to log into their own browser and give your details I'm always bothered that this can then be traced back to what I'm looking at i.e sites like this and the other one and I may give myself away. It often says in the terms that you shouldn't visit inappropriate sites or something similar.

Will private browsing stop this, or going thruxy ? when using hotels wi-fi, or shall I stick to me dongle ?

Whatever you use wifi, proxy, own cell modem, if you are doing something really illegal, THEY (FBI,NSA,SS,MI6,FIS) will be able to track you down.

So I'd use Hotel wifi and rdp to a vm in Argenentina or some country without digital extradition .