OldRoman

What Precisely Do Governments Have Against Prostitution?

48 posts in this topic

I will say at the outset that any form of coerced or forced prostitution should be illegal with dire penalties but:

Spending your money is not illegal

Consensual adult heterosexual intercourse is not illegal

Put the two together and you have something that gov'ts want to pursue out of existence

Why?

Imho because it gives freedom to women who can find an income without taking up some tedious job such as secretary/waitress/shop assistant.

Any views?

An easy topic to win votes on. "Surely everyone agrees with this and those that don't won't object"

Mark

taxation - complexities/ moralities of perhaps. non-secular governments maybe .

Basically, they're control freaks. They have a morbid desire to assert their own vision of the world, and impose it on their fellow human beings. I've never really been able to understand why - but then, I've never had the slightest temptation to enter politics.

If young men had a stigma-free way of getting their end away for relatively little outlay they might be less inclined to settle down and saddle up with a mortgage and family.

Young women on the lower end of the attractiveness scale might also find it harder to find a partner with whom to make a tax-paying, debt-saddled, consumer unit.

Thus you have the breakdown of society as we know it.

Like so many things there's a deeply rooted religious undertone- essentially a moralistic approach

Unfortunately that's so deep rooted that even in a post- secular society such as ours it endures. Then, faced with addressing it, politicians don't see any (political) benefit in changing the status quo.

It's also politically useful to have sections of society that aren't viewed favourably- it helps maintain the established position for fear of change.

I will say at the outset that any form of coerced or forced prostitution should be illegal with dire penalties but:

Put the two together and you have something that gov'ts want to pursue out of existence

Why?

Imho because it gives freedom to women who can find an income without taking up some tedious job such as secretary/waitress/shop assistant.

Any views?

Some religious types along with lots of the media and the femi-nazis conspire to demonize prostitution by stereotyping it as all the same, junkie street workers and trafficked or forced/coerced women as it suits their agendas, the religious being concerned with one man and one woman in perfect harmony, monogamy, no thanks. The media sell papers out of the stereotype and the femi-nazis want punters criminalized while not caring their sisters who freely choose prostitution will be less safe than they are now which isnt safe enough in my view as they arent allowed to work together legally, and punting would be driven further underground.

The government is scared of the two latter groups and the former is what some law shapers and makers consider themselves to be, with the old "do as i say, not as i do" thinking where they shag around as they wish as they have throughout our history while the plebs do as they are told, no thanks, i do as i wish.

With New Labour we had Harriet Harridan and her ilk that were on a crusade against prostitution finally passing the coercion law which has so far resulted in few known prosecutions and seems to be more bark than bite, trying to put punters off punting in the first place. She had no interest in the truth ignoring it in favour of her own views on prostitution. This government has other things on its mind as we know but who knows what might cross their minds, whatever it is you can be sure it wont be balanced, or reflect the truth of prostitution. Defending prostitution is not likely to be a vote winning stance to take so i would expect few MPs to oppose any news laws that may be proposed.

With New Labour we had Harriet Harridan and her ilk that were on a crusade against prostitution finally passing the coercion law which has so far resulted in few known prosecutions and seems to be more bark than bite, trying to put punters off punting in the first place. She had no interest in the truth ignoring it in favour of her own views on prostitution. This government has other things on its mind as we know but who knows what might cross their minds, whatever it is you can be sure it wont be balanced, or reflect the truth of prostitution. Defending prostitution is not likely to be a vote winning stance to take so i would expect few MPs to oppose any news laws that may be proposed.

And yet tonight there will still be girls on the streets selling sex to feed drug habits and for a variety of other non-functional needs. All that is lacking is the finances to help ; the will and dedication will always be there. Brothels already exist and are lucrative, so legalise them under certain terms and conditions and then tax heavily. Use the proceeds to help the aforementioned. A Punt Tax is one I would happily pay.

Edited by Vulvasailor

If young men had a stigma-free way of getting their end away for relatively little outlay they might be less inclined to settle down and saddle up with a mortgage and family.

Young women on the lower end of the attractiveness scale might also find it harder to find a partner with whom to make a tax-paying, debt-saddled, consumer unit.

Thus you have the breakdown of society as we know it.

Blimey, you cynic!

Taxation? Non payment of NI? Claiming job seekers whilst earning a living?

its why the concept of stable marriage was first used as social control in the industrial revolution. the economy didnt want lods of single mothers cos of the cost of looking after them and of course those mothers would not be available to work in the mills.

but all that changed with reliable contraception. then there was shagging with no effect in terms of babies.

so morality is economic.

also, women dislike prostitution because it threatens their family next. adultery could mean they are no longer required by men. which is why women are generally anti prostitution, unless theya re wg's

The basic economic fear is if men have access to sex on tap they won't settle down, thereby destroying the tax base and society itself! and so on and so forth.

The Government is the biggest Prostitute going!

We pay them (taxes) and in return they fuck us!

In my opinion the strongest country economically in Western Europe is Germany.

In my opinion, the best place to punt in Western Europe is Germany.

Does the German government have anything against prostitution? Its legal over there.

In my opinion the strongest country economically in Western Europe is Germany.

In my opinion, the best place to punt in Western Europe is Germany.

Does the German government have anything against prostitution? Its legal over there.

It certainly makes the government here being against prostitution on economic grounds and/or thinking it would lead to the breakdown of society if that is the real reasoning look like idiots. I believe New Zealand still exists as a society too where at least some prostitution is legal. These just dont stack up as legitimate reasons to be against it in my eyes.

Its more to do with straight laced outdated victorian values over here in my opinion, and many victorians from the so called great and the good enjoyed punting as we know just showing that rank hypocrisy is as rife now as it was then.

If prostitution is the world's oldest profession, then government control over prostitution must be the worlds second oldest! And the reason for this is, as already mentioned above, mainly due to preserving the family as an economic unit, and usually justified on the grounds of moralistic / religious reasons. Sadly, I think that in today's UK society any attempt to have a rational public discourse about unreasonable laws against prostitution would quickly be demonised by the government & national press who would straight away fuse the arguments against trafficking and spread of HIV /Aids with the argument against prostitution. Lets face it, the case for repealing laws against brothels just wouldn't get a fair hearing in the mainstream media.

A similar puritanical and imperialist approach against protitution was made by the US gvmnt under George Bush. That administration set up a fund to combat the spread of Aids in Third World countries. One of the conditions that the US gvmnt has set is that the gvmnt of the recipient country has to take a firm stand against prostitution. For national gvmnts who don't have the resources to spend on disease prevention, this aid must seem like a welcome bonus. However, the economically independent Brazil openingly rejected this US aid on the very reasonable grounds that combating the spread of Aids necessarily meant working with prostitutes, not criminalising them! The US gvmnt is also facing challenges within it's own domain over its irrational conditions http://www.hrw.org/news/2011/07/08/us-court-overrules-anti-prostitution-gag-rule-us-groups. But again, the Court of Appeal ruling didn't get any coverage in the mainstream US media

The English are a strange bunch ( I should know I am English and can trace my family back to 1720 ) ever since the Reformation in the 15th century we have had a problem with sex compared to Roman Catholic and Budhist countries. Add to that our Empire building tendecies and our belief in being morally superior to every other nation on earth and you get the English Political Establishment. Interfering, controlling and puritanical. Throughout our history the upper classes and aristocracy have fornicated at will while attempting to control the morals of the ordinary man for economic and religious reasons. Add in to the mix the misinformation about prostitution spread by newspapers such as the Daily Mail and you see how we have got to where we are. Finally there are no votes in it for the politicos, so none will go near the issue, other than to condemn the whole industry as peopled by streetwalking junkies.

taxation - complexities/ moralities of perhaps. non-secular governments maybe .

The basic economic fear is if men have access to sex on tap they won't settle down, thereby destroying the tax base and society itself! and so on and so forth.

The Government is the biggest Prostitute going!

We pay them (taxes) and in return they fuck us!

The English are a strange bunch ( I should know I am English and can trace my family back to 1720 ) ever since the Reformation in the 15th century we have had a problem with sex compared to Roman Catholic and Budhist countries. Add to that our Empire building tendecies and our belief in being morally superior to every other nation on earth and you get the English Political Establishment. Interfering, controlling and puritanical. Throughout our history the upper classes and aristocracy have fornicated at will while attempting to control the morals of the ordinary man for economic and religious reasons. Add in to the mix the misinformation about prostitution spread by newspapers such as the Daily Mail and you see how we have got to where we are. Finally there are no votes in it for the politicos, so none will go near the issue, other than to condemn the whole industry as peopled by streetwalking junkies.

Amen to all of the above

Good post, the "do as i say, not as i do" thinking of the so called upper classes and those that shape and make our laws, hypocrites who as i have no respect for them on this issue i wont tow their line, i will do as i wish. :)

It certainly makes the government here being against prostitution on economic grounds and/or thinking it would lead to the breakdown of society if that is the real reasoning look like idiots. I believe New Zealand still exists as a society too where at least some prostitution is legal. These just dont stack up as legitimate reasons to be against it in my eyes

Attitudes in society go much deeper than the policies of a particular government though.

As an extreme example, take the case of Incest; we don't really need a law to tell us that shagging your sister is A Bad Thing (except in certain parts of [insert suitable region here]). The biological reason against incest - the potential concentration of bad genes - has been eliminated because of contraception, and yet I can't see it becoming accepted practice outside of [insert suitable region here] anytime soon.

With New Labour we had Harriet Harridan and her ilk that were on a crusade against prostitution

In fairness David Blunkett was proposing liberalising the laws regarding brothels - allowing two women plus a maid to work together - until his tenure at the Home Office came to a premature end.

Edited by Vin DaLoo

Why?

Any views?

Politicians in this country are extremely prudish and spineless, not one of them is prepared to be associated with initiating such change. That's all there is to it.

Attitudes in society go much deeper than the policies of a particular government though.

As an extreme example, take the case of Incest; we don't really need a law to tell us that shagging your sister is A Bad Thing (except in certain parts of [insert suitable region here]). The biological reason against incest - the potential concentration of bad genes - has been eliminated because of contraception, and yet I can't see it becoming accepted practice outside of [insert suitable region here] anytime soon.

In fairness David Blunkett was proposing liberalising the laws regarding brothels - allowing two women plus a maid to work together - until his tenure at the Home Office came to a premature end.

The anti-prostitution in general media along with influential femi-nazis who the government are scared of have their agenda which is about junkie street workers and trafficked women so an adult debate is never allowed so some of those not interested in prostitution just believe the propoganda spun to them. This inhibits attitudes changing sadly and as has been mentioned its not a vote winning issue either.

As regards Blunkett it didnt happen though so i cant give credit to something that never occured. HH was on a crusade and did get a watered down version of what she really wanted, the criminalization of punters through, what a great success that law has so far proved to be, not, all bark without the bark. A dreadful woman and politician only hearing what she chooses to hear, like most politicians.

Because none of them have the balls to stand up and propose pro prostitution changes. Few people would stand up publicly and say actually prostitution is OK.

maybe because its something they have hardly any control over. its like a black market , everyone knows its there but you cant really see it .

Edited by smoothballs

Because working girls take cash and goverments loose out on tax revenue