Smudge

Hotel Booking

22 posts in this topic

Hi,

I want to make a hotel booking and pay cash. Obviously the hotel will need a credit card to hold the room. The cancellation policy states that as long as I don't cancel no charge will be made they also reserve the right to pre authorise the card. Has anyone ever fallen foul of this?

Shouldn't be a problem. Even if they insist on pre-authorising a card,it won't be triggered as an actual charge to the card until you check out and only if you use the card at that point for payment. You can switch to cash at payment time. Pre-authorisation won't show on the card statement.

You will only need to give your card details to make the booking and just tell them you will pay cash on arrival. They will probably still swipe your card which they will charge anything extra you had ( ie: mini bar / breakfast etc), if you don't settle it in cash before leaving.

They won't charge your card until you turn up! all 'pre authorise' means is that they will run it and make sure they can charge it later, (eg not reported lost or stolen).

I've been thinking about booking a hotel myself recently, there's a couple of girls i've seen that have good reports, but they only do call-outs, herts and oxford, desperately trying to arrange a couple of 'business meetings'.

As long as it isn't a pre-booked advanced rate. Then they will take the payment from your card immediately.

I've done this with Barclaycard for around £700. It did show up if you looked carefully at your ongoing statement online. You could see it as a reduction in your "available credit" or whatever it's called. This quietly went away after a few days and never showed up on a printed statement. I guess if you were close to your limit, it might have an effect.

I usually book hotels this way and have never had a problem paying cash for everything. Just look when you booking and most sites will advise whether they take payment straight away or just pre authorse the card

I've done this with Barclaycard for around £700. It did show up if you looked carefully at your ongoing statement online. You could see it as a reduction in your "available credit" or whatever it's called.

Yes, I had the same thing happen when I stayed in a hotel and chose to settle up in cash when I left. Available balance was reduced for a couple of days.

I usually book hotels this way and have never had a problem paying cash for everything. Just look when you booking and most sites will advise whether they take payment straight away or just pre authorse the card

I know that I am paranoid but my problem with presenting a card and then paying cash is that the person on reception may realise what you are up to (not difficult) and fraudulently charge your card on the basis that if you "kick up a fuss", it will only increase your embarrassment...better to just pay a hope that the wife does not notice!

Jack

I know that I am paranoid but......

I am afraid to say it, but yes you are!

the person on reception may realise what you are up to

....and?

What are they going to do? Call your wife, ring the News of the World? Alert the SAS?

Don't worry about it, you are doing nothing that the receptionist hasn't seen before. Believe me, people do stranger things in hotels than settle their bill with cash.

I've done this with Barclaycard for around £700. It did show up if you looked carefully at your ongoing statement online. You could see it as a reduction in your "available credit" or whatever it's called. This quietly went away after a few days and never showed up on a printed statement. I guess if you were close to your limit, it might have an effect.

It has never happened to me, but I've heard of cases where the hotel didn't charge the card, but simply forgot to release the pre-authorisation, which can lead to difficulties, particularly when abroad. I don't know how one can ensure that the authorisation IS released?

I am afraid to say it, but yes you are!

....and?

What are they going to do? Call your wife, ring the News of the World? Alert the SAS?

Don't worry about it, you are doing nothing that the receptionist hasn't seen before. Believe me, people do stranger things in hotels than settle their bill with cash.

Unfortunately, you have missed the point entirely. The fact that the receptionist knows that you have something to hide may induce him/her to put a fraud through your account on the basis that you may not choose to make too much of a fuss about it.

If you are an entirely innocent businessman/woman and a fraud is perpetrated by a hotel employee on your account, you scream...

Simple really.

Jack

I don't know how one can ensure that the authorisation IS released?

Confirm with the hotel when checking out.

To make doubly sure, check with your card issuer.

Unfortunately, you have missed the point entirely. The fact that the receptionist knows that you have something to hide may induce him/her to put a fraud through your account on the basis that you may not choose to make too much of a fuss about it.

If you are an entirely innocent businessman/woman and a fraud is perpetrated by a hotel employee on your account, you scream...

Simple really.

Jack

You check in, you hand over your card for pre authorisation, punch in your pin, collect your key and saunter off to your room. Why does anyone think you have something to hide?

In the morning you present yourself at the desk, they give you the bill and you tell them you will settle in cash. You are even dealing with a different receptionist. You double check that they have cancelled the pre-authorisation (just say you have had a previous problem with one not being cancelled in time). All reasonable, innocent behaviour.

Honestly, unless you really are paranoid, I don't see the problem.

Luckily I am single and don't give a damn about hotel bills on my credit card but I use hotels very regularly for both business and pleasure and I truly believe your fears are completely unfounded.

I book hotels with a pre pay credit card that has no money in it and I can cancel up to 4pm on the day. All they do is take the card number to reserve the booking but they dont authorise an amount.

I know that I am paranoid but my problem with presenting a card and then paying cash is that the person on reception may realise what you are up to (not difficult) and fraudulently charge your card on the basis that if you "kick up a fuss", it will only increase your embarrassment...better to just pay a hope that the wife does not notice!

Jack

What kind of hotels are you planning to stay at ?

I book hotels with a pre pay credit card that has no money in it and I can cancel up to 4pm on the day. All they do is take the card number to reserve the booking but they dont authorise an amount.

I dont think this is possible but if you say you have done it then it then I must be wrong

I dont think this is possible but if you say you have done it then it then I must be wrong

It will not work if no money on it the whole point is the ensure you have funds to pay, and these cards simply decline if not enough funds, least that is what happened when I tried that and what I was told by the card company

All the hotel does is lodge a forward claim, they effectively ring fence a certain sum of money for possible future collection, that is why your available credit gets reduced. it is standard practice the world over. if you haven't got sufficient credit on your card at the time of making the booking, it will of course be rejected. Its not hotel receptions you have to be wary of, its bars and resturants where waiters will clone your card when they swipe it.

If anybody wants to know which hotel this works for feel free to PM me.

It will not work if no money on it the whole point is the ensure you have funds to pay, and these cards simply decline if not enough funds, least that is what happened when I tried that and what I was told by the card company

I have no reason to lie lol. There is one hotel chain that does not authorise the money. They would try and take it if I didn't show or didn't cancel on the day.

All the hotel does is lodge a forward claim, they effectively ring fence a certain sum of money for possible future collection, that is why your available credit gets reduced. it is standard practice the world over. if you haven't got sufficient credit on your card at the time of making the booking, it will of course be rejected. Its not hotel receptions you have to be wary of, its bars and resturants where waiters will clone your card when they swipe it.

Again, I use a pre pay virgin mastercard for one particular group of hotel and that card has had no money in it for yonks. I book months in advance at this particular hotel group in various parts of the country.