Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kenobi

recording to *.wav format

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm using stepvoice recorder, an excellent shareware programme that records from a variety of inputs and sources ("what you hear" etc) and outputs to variable levels of mp3. This is all well and good for most things but I need to record to wav format for a couple of things as, because mp3 compression works by deletion, the mp3s I've made don't work for what I need them to do.

Does anyone know of a freeware/shareware recorder to wav programme?

Thanks in advance. :mad:

Thanks guys, I'm downloading "Audacity" now. :o

Windows includes a simple voice recorder which can be found in Start->Program->Accessories->Sound Recorder.

Windows includes a simple voice recorder which can be found in Start->Program->Accessories->Sound Recorder.

I think it limits recordings to a minute in length though.

I think it limits recordings to a minute in length though.

That is true, however it is possible to extend this :-

Here's an alternate method to increase the maximum recording time in Sound Recorder:

1. Make sure your microphone is muted so it will not pick up sound.

2. Click Record, and then let Sound Recorder run for 60 seconds (recording silence).

3. After Sound Recorder stops recording, click Save As on the File menu, and name the file Blank.wav.

4. To increase the maximum recording time in Sound Recorder, click Insert File on the Edit menu, and then insert the Blank.wav file that you saved in step 3. When you do this, the maximum recording time is increased by 60 seconds. You can repeat this step once for each additional minute of recording time that you want to add. For example, for a 5-minute recording time, insert the Blank.wav file five times.

It's a bit convoluted but ...........