Overworked

Should Punternet change?

43 posts in this topic

So after the all the news reports and Harriet Harmon speech, Punternet has been been both demonised and praised from people both inside and outside this industry. But putting the past week aside....

Should Punternet change to remove the reasons why it gets politicans calling for it to be banned? Is this a good time to take a step back a define exactly what this site gives us?

Should it get a revamp? What things could improve it?

I.e. Are our field reports too sexually explicit?

Can punters and girls easily find what information they need?

Whats the good things about Punternet and can we promote those things better?

Where could it be improved and how can we improve them?

I don't think this a good time to discuss whether any changes should be made.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

And presumably the contents of posts?

Constructive suggestions are welcome, either here, or via a PM to a mod.

Anyone who has followed the site since it came back will have seen quite a few changes over the last couple of years or so.

Further changes are discussed on an ongoing basis, and the site will continue to evolve, and hopefully improve for all concerned.

Why should Punternet change because a third rate politician wants it banned.

It is a new government that we need, that will happen next year. :o

And presumably the contents of the advertisements on the SPAB?

Why should Punternet change because a third rate politician wants it banned.

That's right, if we changed everything in this world that ignorant people commented on, we would be forever changing everything.

That's right, if we changed everything in this world that ignorant people commented on, we would be forever changing everything.

Just because someone who opposes us, criticises us, does not mean that there is automatically no validity to their points. We need to reflect on their criticism, and if there is validity to it, take action to change/improve the site. Speaking personally, my reading of HH's speech is that it falls more into the ill-informed diatribe category, than the constructive critique one.

The site will change regardless of criticism from outside, as it will respond to the suggestions and ideas of posters to make it a better site.

Well I was thinking more of the fact we've had a sudden raise in profile this week.

A big rise in visitors to this site now knows the name punternet.

We may want to ensure that they stay. More guys and girls using it, more honest reports, more honest adverts, more warnings on bad guys and girls, more information for what you need....

I find a lot on here pretty dire, especially some of the more primitive and/or immature threads and the occasional FR. However, free speech counts for more than any person's particular tastes. So far as I can tell, the mods do a good job of removing really offensive posts - and members!

Knee jerk reactions are never a sensible way to run anything.

The members here make suggestions to the Admin and Mod team and we consider them all. A lot of changes happen and have happened as a result of "user experience" and input.

Punternet has been running for over 10 years and is the most successful Board of its kind and has changed enormously over that period, thanks to Galahad and the team taking a long view on what may or may not work and trial and in some cases error.

Our community is extremely broad though and what pleases some, horrifies others and so we also need to ensure we do not either go to one extreme or the other or indeed to keep oscillating.

So "should we change"? Of course, if you do not change you die, but actually we are changing and do change and so the answer to your question is Yes!

If you look at Gals press release where he posts a graph of site usage, there will be an issue with resources. More hits means more server capacity, and an internet connection with a bigger bandwidth, which costs money.

This site is finded by the service provider database, so more revenue from there will be needed to fund the upgraded hardware.

Unless the usage drops off to normal over the next few days........

I would concur with Profman. Sometimes there is garbage, but it quickly goes away. Otherwise, this site makes the business safer, especially for the ladies. Ignore the politicans who can't back up their bark with a bite.

"Further changes are discussed on an ongoing basis, and the site will continue to evolve, and hopefully improve for all concerned"

Having been dipping in & out of here since the start (well the FRs were still on 3 figures), I would say that the site changes naturally as the contributors change - at some times for the better & sometimes a backward step or two. The moderation is sometimes from the Authoritarian wing & sometimes from the Libertarian side, which I prefer I leave to you to judge.

I would say beware of deliberate change, we don't want the curse of politics - Unintended Consequences

If it was decided that the content of Field Reports were too sexually explicit and some form of action was taken to curb/censor future Field Reports, then surely that form of curbing/censoring would have to be applied to the message board posts and the advertisements on the SPAB? otherwise it would make for a somewhat strange contrast.

The very fact that reports are written in the words of the punter mean that it makes it much easier to filter the false reports from the genuine. Also the free nature of the report means that much more information is gleaned than if it was just a tick box report.

Overly graphic reports can easily be ignored or censored be the admin if necessary.

I don't think this a good time to discuss whether any changes should be made.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Well said. Punternet is not under attack at the present time and I doubt that we will hear much more about this contretemps. It's one thing for a political haridan to hyperventilate at party conference and quite another thing to try to get an outrageous law through Parliament, especially when swept up in a political death spiral.

Well I was thinking more of the fact we've had a sudden raise in profile this week.

A big rise in visitors to this site now knows the name punternet.

We may want to ensure that they stay. More guys and girls using it, more honest reports, more honest adverts, more warnings on bad guys and girls, more information for what you need....

I was having a little private smile yesterday when I went for a meal with friends. Some guys on the next table were all clustered over one of their Iphones, one of them had heard PN mentioned on the radio so they were having a look and seemed most impressed

Overly graphic reports can easily be ignored or censored be the admin if necessary.

If "Overly graphic reports" were censored do you not think that message board posts and advertisements on the SPAB would also have to be given the same type and amount of censorship? in order to keep some form of consistency.

Should Punternet change to remove the reasons why it gets politicans calling for it to be banned?

Surely it's the very raison d'etre of the site (reviewing prostitutes and discussing the paid sex scene) that pisses some (not that many truth be told) politicians off. If we removed that reason, then the site would be of no use to me and I'd have to go elsewhere.

I doubt very much whether it's the explicitness of some FRs that is offending HH.

That said and done, every good institution has to change with the times and at it's heart it's not a bad question. I have followed the recent debate on "only one FR per lady" with interest and would love for Galahad to let us know what he really thinks of that suggestion.

I dont think that punternet should change nothing is perfect especially in the business of paid sex but its pretty good and fair

I have recently joined the Irish message boards and although there review system is similar it seems to me that its open to a lot more abuse of fake and malicious reviews

Guys are able to write reviews on the same lady several times and even it its believed to be a fake they tag the report with a picture of a rat with a note that they think /or know its false ect with the reasons why

Writing reviews on one lady again and again can boost her profile but i think it should only be allowed if she has changed drastically in the time that you saw her last If not whats the point if she is as good as before

maybe on option to go back to the original report and make amendents might be a good idea

Whats the point of the reports that state what happend stay between me and the lady why bother to write it then

The simplicity of punternet was that it was set up as an exchange of information about prostitutes good and bad Of course blokes want to know about the services that is offered and of course everyone like to read them especially the bad ones :o

Surely it's the very raison d'etre of the site (reviewing prostitutes and discussing the paid sex scene) that pisses some (not that many truth be told) politicians off. If we removed that reason, then the site would be of no use to me and I'd have to go elsewhere.

Exactly right.

Harriet Harman et al are totally against the idea of commercial sex and wish to attack it in all ways, hence demonisation of Punternet.

Comrade Brown apparently mentioned change something like 200 times in his recent conference speech.

I find a lot on here pretty dire, especially some of the more primitive and/or immature threads and the occasional FR. However, free speech counts for more than any person's particular tastes. So far as I can tell, the mods do a good job of removing really offensive posts - and members!

Indeed.

The review system is funtioning quite good, including the weeding and spotting of (possible) fake ones. Some are a good laff too.

Some of the board posts/comments can be a bit rude, and might fuel the anti-brigade, but we just have to take that chance.

But too much censorship, and we would make the same mistake as HH et.al.

Only new here, but if it was sanitized it would lose a lot of what makes it good.