random123

Punting Phone

25 posts in this topic

I noticed a topic not long ago whereby punters talked about having PAYG punting phones. Can someone please explain to me as if I was an idiot, for I am, how to go about this. If you buy a PAYG mobile instore with cash to avoid even the slightest chance of embarrassment, won't they still ask for your details etc to register the phone?

How can you get a PAYG phone and remain at least mostly anonymous exactly?

Cheers

I noticed a topic not long ago whereby punters talked about having PAYG punting phones. Can someone please explain to me as if I was an idiot, for I am, how to go about this. If you buy a PAYG mobile instore with cash to avoid even the slightest chance of embarrassment, won't they still ask for your details etc to register the phone?

Cheers

I bought my punting phone from Asda for £5 (special offer). I paid cash for it and as long as you don't register the sim card to claim the free credit they don't need any of your details. I also only top it up using cash at the petrol station.

I am sure if you buy a PAYG from any supermarket the process would be very similar, i am not sure if they would take your details if you went to Carphone Warehouse, Vodafone etc

I just used an old (previous) mobile and bought a PAYG sim with credit from a shop. They didn't ask for any details.

When it comes time to top up, just buy another sim.

So long as your paying cash they're not bothered, they want your business not your moral beliefs. I noticed a shop near me selling SIM cards for 49 pence the other day, just top it up and you're away and a lot more easily hidden than a seperate phone.

Not sure about all the networks, but you can certainly top up an Orange PAYG sim using cash at an Orange shop. I use an 'old' i.e. ex-contract phone - I bought the SIM and credit in an Orange shop.

In my experience, only Carphone Warehouse bother to ask - my punting phone was bought from an O2 store for cash, no questions asked, ditto the various SIMs I've put in it since. AFAIK there is no legal requirement for CW to gather details - I think it's more their marketing department want to junk mail you !!

I use Vodafone because you don't have to register to get connected. Even if you have to register you can use a false address and postcode as long as it's a real one and comes up as being genuine on their computer.

You can buy a cheap phone from loads of places - ASDA., Tesco, Argos etc. You can buy additional SIMS from your local cornershop for a £1 or less, and buy top-up vouchers with cash.

I bought a Lycamobile SIM from a gentleman in a railway station some years ago, as I recall it was £5 for the card with £8 credit.

Their customer service people ask me to top it up and want to give me £00s of free credit in exchange for a name and address.

But Mr Patel in my local Newsagents does very out of providing me with top ups for fivers.

I wouldn't recommend Lyca, their numbers often show withheld on landlines and I recall problems with T-Mobile charging for calls to them outside of free minutes. But you only need a SIM not a phone, though watch your call lists and TXTs. And probably more important - remember to switch numbers when calling the missus - that's another snory.

Nite

Guy

I noticed a topic not long ago whereby punters talked about having PAYG punting phones. Can someone please explain to me as if I was an idiot, for I am, how to go about this. If you buy a PAYG mobile instore with cash to avoid even the slightest chance of embarrassment, won't they still ask for your details etc to register the phone? How can you get a PAYG phone and remain at least mostly anonymous exactly? Cheers

A store might ask for you details but thats so they can send you marketing information, you arent required by law to give it to them. Many places dont ask anyway. I actually use a second-hand mobile that i bought, totally anoynmously and i top-up in cash. Obviously just a Sim is sufficient. To me its a basic precaution to take in punting if you have anything like a partner or family to lose.

Edited by smiths

A few years ago I bought my spare phone in Tesco - took the box off the shelf to the till, paid cash, no questions asked. Top-up the same way, at the till at a supermarket in cash to get a voucher.

A cheap Vodafone PAYG from Argos is a good option (good network coverage and you dont need to register).

I'm realiably informed by a friend that Orange PAYG phones need to be registered or they wont work!

I noticed a topic not long ago whereby punters talked about having PAYG punting phones.  Can someone please explain to me as if I was an idiot, for I am, how to go about this.  If you buy a PAYG mobile instore with cash to avoid even the slightest chance of embarrassment, won't they still ask for your details etc to register the phone?

Cheers

You won't be truely annonymous, The carrier will keep a full log of all your calls/sms / voicemails (maybe). If LE/goverment want to to track you, a PAYG will offer zero protection. So assuming you aren't out ot break the law, and only want to provide some cover from your partner, they are a good idea. Only if you used a cash pruchased payg phone once for each call would it make it a bit harder, but quite expensive .I change payg sims every month, and never salute my CO out of barracks.

If you use a separate sim on your normal phone be careful that it only stores call history and texts on the sim, not on the phone itself.

Just a thought, but wouldn't a secret punting phone or sim be harder to explain away to a partner if she found it than a random text which you can pass off as a wrong number? Surely locking your phone and not leaving it laying about or allowing your wife/kid to look at uninvited be better?

Cheers

It is not a problem to get an anonymous sim card but given that it won't be registered to you then the cost of topping it up goes up. I got fed up of topping mine up a the credit runs out really fast.

Just a thought, but wouldn't a secret punting phone or sim be harder to explain away to a partner if she found it than a random text which you can pass off as a wrong number? Surely locking your phone and not leaving it laying about or allowing your wife/kid to look at uninvited be better?

You also need a dead drop as well ;)

We've had this discussion on the Forum many times over the years; at the end of the day, it's what works best for your own personal circumstances. Personally I tried the punting SIM option but was frustrated by the constant top-ups required and nearly messed up by calling home on my car hands-free system when the Punting SIM was installed.

Edited by Vin DaLoo

It would so you have to ensure your careful, obviously a Sim is tiny so you should be able to hide it so its not discovered. I never had a problem and having it was far safer in my opinion than not. :)

got an asda punting phone no registration as everyone has said top up with a voucher for cash from asda tills and most important i never keep my home or my wifes or even anyone of my freinds numbers on it made that mistake once got away with it but learnt my lesson , keep it in my car boot, well hidden

Buying an Old Phone / New SIM Card is relatively easy. It's the maintenace thereafter that you need to watch out for as well.

My Punting Phone (an old Nokia handset bought new from Carphone Warehouse where they took my details, for marketing purposes only)

is kept only at work.Most of the time, it is switched off and taken out only for punting purposes.

There is A PIN required in order to switch it on, so if it fell in wrong hands, not only would they require my PIN but no one would know

the mobile number either in order to obtain a PUK Code for that SIM, in order to re-activate it.

As for the SIM Cards, these can be bought from most places for as low as 99p (O2). Altohugh they are a PAYG, the tarriffs are so high,

that it is worthwhile registering a plan ( you do not have to give your personal details).

For example, on O2, i texted "Choose 100" to 21300.This enables you to get 100 minutes and 500 texts for only £10.00 per month.

Although I do not expect to use this much, it usually worksout cheaper than paying 35p/minute when you are not on any plan at all on PAYG.

As it is safe to store the phone at work, I have hhad the same phone and same SIM for over 10 years now. This has had its advantages,

as I have been contacted by WGs who had previously retired but had returned back. I have also been contacted by WGs informing me of

changes in their contact numbers.

The best part has been being contacted by 2~3 regulars who let me know of any special offers that they may be running. Whilst admittedly,

these would be classed as cold-calling, I have asked them to let me know of these offers, making it claear to them that it is my punting

phone that they are sending texts to and that no one will be able to access them except myself.

As for the SIM Cards, these can be bought from most places for as low as 99p (O2). Altohugh they are a PAYG, the tarriffs are so high,

that it is worthwhile registering a plan ( you do not have to give your personal details).

I am just interested, how you can register the plan, without giving your personal details?

As for the punting SIM, I think the best one is Talkmobile (piggybacking on Tmobile network) £1 per month which include 25 Xnetwork minutes and 50 texts. You can order it from here.

Yes, it is useless plan for the mobile for everyday use, and you need to be a monk to keep that strict to such low allowance. However as the "punting SIM", its perfect (as well as maybe for your elderly auntie, who only use mobile to call you, when she run of the corned beef for a her hash). There is also not headache to think that you might run out and need to top it up, and an comparison with PAYG, its works so much cheaper!

Just be aware, that it is a mobile contract after all, even if its only £1 per month, so before they sending you this SIM, they will put "foot print" of it your credit file. Ridiculous!

I am just interested, how you can register the plan, without giving your personal details?

.... on O2, i texted "Choose 100" to 21300.This enables you to get 100 minutes and 500 texts for only £10.00 per month.

Although I do not expect to use this much, it usually worksout cheaper than paying 35p/minute when you are not on any plan at all on PAYG.

Even if you have to register, you are registering a PAYG SIM, so could give my work details. Junk mail from O2 would not raise any eyebrows at work.

Edited by CoolTiger

If I'm booking a lady for £130 or so I'm not really bothered whether my phone call costs 8p or 48p. I just like having the anonymity of an unregistered PAYG, as long as the number isn't doing anything criminal the authorities won't want to track it so no problem there.

I have 6 or 7 of my old phones in an office drawer and just use a Tesco sim in one of them.

DG

This registration is not so difficult to get round. The big stores always take a name and address even for small cash items. It irritates me so I just give a false name, a post code of a random acquaintance then the house number next door. Over a phone call one could register as being at the other end of the country, then continue with only cash top ups

This registration is not so difficult to get round. The big stores always take a name and address even for small cash items. It irritates me so I just give a false name, a post code of a random acquaintance then the house number next door. Over a phone call one could register as being at the other end of the country, then continue with only cash top ups

Some ask for your details to which i ask why they need them for PAYG as the point of PAYG is its PAYG. It finally dawns on them what i am getting at and its for marketing purposes to which my answer is if i am interested in your products i will buy them and my details are none of your business. There is no compulsion to give your details but some think there is.