JemmaLondon

Would You Discard A Punt If You Couldn't Find Parking?

51 posts in this topic

I had a 'gentlemen' who had planned to visit this weekend, and had given him a general nearby postcode with 2 possible streets for parking (where no one has had a problem finding a parking in 1.5 years), he must have been in the vicinity and called to say he couldn't find any parking and what should he do?

Well, I can't exactly run outside in my stiletto's, stockings and teeny weeny dress and find him one can I? I said he just needed to drive around for a bit and try and find a parking, and that there really wasn't much I could do about it. He called a few minutes later in a huff saying he still couldn't find parking and wanted to know in which direction of the road my location was, to which I replied that he needed to park as close as what he could to the postcode I had given him, in any direction! So he said 'well in that case I will cancel!' and hung up on me.

A few minutes later I got a call from him, I answered with a curt 'hello' and he said in a charming voice, 'Hi, is that Alex?' (plan B no doubt) to which I said 'no you twit, it's the person you just stood up!', he sheepishly apologised and hung off.

So guys, would you drive off if you hadn't found a parking (after trying for 5 minutes), and ladies have you had this before? It was such a waste of my time, having declined a rather nice social invite to see him early evening.

Seems a bit lame for him to give up so easily in my opinion. London is London and where there is a wil,there is a way

Sounds like this bloke was just got really wound up trying to find a parking space. He could have arrived early and been trying for ages.

I've never taken my car to London for a booking, London traffic and parking are two things I could do without when visiting a lady.

Sounds like this bloke was just got really wound up trying to find a parking space. He could have arrived early and been trying for ages.

I've never taken my car to London for a booking, London traffic and parking are two things I could do without when visiting a lady.

Sadly Jemma, if I genuinely couldn't find a parking space I would probably have to miss the meeting whilst offering profuse apologies. A parking ticket can be a very difficult thing to explain to a wife when she thinks you're in another part of the country. But I am a very polite, friendly gentleman and I would never hang up on a lady.

Generally I use public transport for London, but very occasionally use my car. I always give myself plenty of time, but the Westway can be very unforgiving when busy, let alone the search for parking around Paddington or Bayswater.

I'm with DirtyDec; I use public transport so I can relax and even use the time imagine what's going to happen to me in the next hour or so. A great way to build up the anticipation.

This is why if I use my car on a punt I ask for a postcode and view the area on google maps for potential parking spaces and I always make it a point of duty to arrive about 10 minutes before the appointment is due to start and using the AA route planner gives me a rough idea as to how long the journey would take and then plan accordingly.

Edited by matrix837

Agree with some of the comments, it can be annoying if you cannot find anywhere to park, and its why I always either arrive early or survey the area a day earlier if its convenient.

Only the West End is difficult for parking, the rest of Central London is fine - I drive in a few days every week.

Like Matrix I do my research in advance so I know where I am heading, find out the parking situation and, if necessary park and walk the last couple of hundred yards, especially if that means I can leave the car in a safer place such as under a street light.

I think this guy is a lame excuse for a real punter.

Yes, agree. Sounds like he bottled it. Like others if visting a new area, I make time to find parking and if I look like being late give the girl a call / txt to let her know. I drive all over as part of my job so fortunately being on time / getting parked is second nature.

No, Jemma, I wouldn't have driven off. You had done quite enough to make the appointment possible and he ducked it.

My own bugbear is belated location information that leads to me scrambling about trying to find parking and the precise location, with time running out - and that did not apply in any way in the case you describe.

I have given up trying to park near a couple of parlours I had planned to visit but I hadn't made appointments for those. Difficulty parking is not an excuse for cancelling an appointment - like some of the others above he should have applied the 5 P's technique - Proper planning prevents problems parking!

I've had three men so far decline to use the dedicated visitor parking spaces at my apartment building, as the license plates need to be written down on a passcard that must be displayed for the security wardens. All three men decided to park around the back of the building, taking their chances on single yellow lines. They didn't just abandon our session. I've also had one gentleman park somewhere else and catch a bus to my apartment, so I would see it as a blessing that your "gentleman" bottled it.

I had a 'gentlemen' who had planned to visit this weekend, and had given him a general nearby postcode with 2 possible streets for parking (where no one has had a problem finding a parking in 1.5 years), he must have been in the vicinity and called to say he couldn't find any parking and what should he do?

Well, I can't exactly run outside in my stiletto's, stockings and teeny weeny dress and find him one can I? I said he just needed to drive around for a bit and try and find a parking, and that there really wasn't much I could do about it. He called a few minutes later in a huff saying he still couldn't find parking and wanted to know in which direction of the road my location was, to which I replied that he needed to park as close as what he could to the postcode I had given him, in any direction! So he said 'well in that case I will cancel!' and hung up on me.

A few minutes later I got a call from him, I answered with a curt 'hello' and he said in a charming voice, 'Hi, is that Alex?' (plan B no doubt) to which I said 'no you twit, it's the person you just stood up!', he sheepishly apologised and hung off.

So guys, would you drive off if you hadn't found a parking (after trying for 5 minutes), and ladies have you had this before? It was such a waste of my time, having declined a rather nice social invite to see him early evening.

I ensure i have checked the parking out online beforehand which as i often punt sameday is immediately i have booked and make sure i am early so can always find parking, it really is common sense in my opinion to do so if you arent sure regarding the parking. When i ran my car battery down once when i was early i flagged a car down and offered the driver £20 to drive me to the WGs flat so i wont give up a punt without trying every thing i know of to get their on time. That punt was very well worth it to as the WG became a regular and friend. :)

Edited by smiths

I have done that, once, when I'd been cancelled, with no explanation, having come hundreds of miles, and I hit redial instead of Plan C (Plan B hadn't got her Incall place untill 15.00 that day) and I sadly fear that Plan B now has me down on her black list!

Lady, I'm not a total idiot! I don't take a car when going to see a London lady! Your huffy puffy needs his feet strapped together before he is given a Thames swimming lesson.

I have done that, once, when I'd been cancelled, with no explanation, having come hundreds of miles, and I hit redial instead of Plan C (Plan B hadn't got her Incall place untill 15.00 that day) and I sadly fear that Plan B now has me down on her black list! Lady, I'm not a total idiot! I don't take a car when going to see a London lady! Your huffy puffy needs his feet strapped together before he is given a Thames swimming lesson.

You dont have to be an idiot just because you drive to London punts, it suits me better to drive and i have no problems with doing so.

Sadly Jemma, if I genuinely couldn't find a parking space I would probably have to miss the meeting whilst offering profuse apologies. A parking ticket can be a very difficult thing to explain to a wife when she thinks you're in another part of the country. But I am a very polite, friendly gentleman and I would never hang up on a lady

Had a recent London punt where I planned to use public transport but fearing for the cut down bank holiday train service I opted to drive and she assured me parking was easy ...normal off street she said, got there with 15 minutes to spare but residents permit only!!! no supermarket in sight and a prefect storm of one way streets in a strange area, I circled for 10 minutes to find a limited 1 hour stay no return... I had a 90 minute booked was at least 5 min walk from my destination and a bit frustrated knowing I couldn't afford a parking ticket as Mrs D believed I was on the opposite side of town and allowing for a shower and a walk back I had to bail at 45 minutes stat! Part of me said abort but once I'm booked I'm all in and find it really hard to cancel, in the end I got there In a huff left in a hurry and didn't enjoy the event but hey I didn't cancel...

Had a previous ...parking a hassle so got there about 5 minutes late, kept her up to date throughout, got there and she was livid I was encroaching into her next appointment though I was happy to take the hit on my own time, her mood didn't improve and I have no doubt it affected the service I got ...I'd asked for GFE but didn't anticipate a GF reaction to 'standing her up' for 5 mins (

Both cases upper brain said cancel ...lower brain said think about her time , not always an easy call but if he had time for plan B then time was not his issue and didn't need much excuse to cancel

Never driving to a London punt again by the way

Edited by dami3n

You called him a twit?

Shame on you! (laughing)

I am in the public transport camp on this one. Yes, I know there is parking in London but I prefer the train in and the tube around. It suits me better and each to their own, plus I get all in a tizz over the Congestion Charge

First thing I do is advise on parking, and if the chap finds there is no parking available all he needs do is give me a call and I can suggest plenty of other places too. Sometimes new clients decide to find their own parking, which is fine by me as long as they factor in extra time to get back to my place.

Edited by Strawberry

First thing I do is advise on parking,

I don't understand why more ladies don't follow Strawberry's sound advice. A WG has the local knowledge and, surely, if she is prepared to research it and let you know what to do that's all part of the service.

I would prefer to be told where to park, and be more certain of having a good punt.

I refuse on principle to pay to park, but I do like to drive. So, the last time I saw someone, I just timed the appointment for 6:30pm, when I could park for free. Just takes a bit of planning really.

I've found driving and parking more reliable than public transport.

I'd never cancel a booking like the OP's 'punter' did, but then again I'd like to think I'm not an ignorant bastard.

Parking is something any WG needs to take into account if she is looking for working premises, city / town centres can be good because them being busy, guys there on business or just working but parking can be a pain in the arse. Out of city / town partments are usually a lot easier for parking, I always think being fairly near the motorway network is useful. Like Hrock I have an aversion to paying to park, one of the problems for WGs is if a guy decides to extend from one hour to two he may have only piad for a hour or a hour and halfs parking, same for the WG if she was only expecting a one hour booking.

I don't understand why more ladies don't follow Strawberry's sound advice. A WG has the local knowledge and, surely, if she is prepared to research it and let you know what to do that's all part of the service.

I would prefer to be told where to park, and be more certain of having a good punt.

In my experience some WGs that dont drive themselves havent a clue about local parking or any idea about giving useful driving directions though.

Parking is a bloody nightmare in the London boroughs. It’s mostly permit holders only before 5:30 pm and you can drive around street after street looking for what little meter parking there is. I see Jemma’s ‘gentleman’ was visiting at the weekend, so the permit areas should have been free, but I can fully understand total frustration creeping in after driving around for what can seem like hours!

The Plan B faux pas was inexcusable though!

I would have thought most guys would climb mountains for a shag, seems like this fella gave up far to easy, which tells me he was not fussed in the first place.

I don't have that problem as I have a car park spitting distance from my place, I always give them the street name and postcode for that then tell them to call me from there for house number.

Never ceases to amaze me those that do no planning at all, getting a phone call from the train station 5 mins before session due to start with a 'ok at the station, where now?!'