Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Xenia

Would You Discard The The Punt If...

36 posts in this topic

...You realised that its on Friday the 13th (Tomorrow)?

I had an exchange of emails (from 19th of December) with the potential client regarding booking for 13th of January, which is tomorrow for 3 hours outcall in Brum . Few hours ago he called me, and said, that he did not realised that 13th of January is falling on Friday, and he is very superstitious and want to cancel. (even said, that one of his members of family was involved in the road accident on that date some years ago). I was not interesting exactly to hear his explanation regarding his members of the family, but it could be true after all.

I am very superstitious by the nature also, however on exact Friday the 13th last spring I received a check from Premium Bonds for £500. (I also won £1000 on PB more then few years back, however it was not on the Fri the 13th). So, it can't be all bad.

I am not sure it could beat the excuse of Gemma's client, for not finding the parking space. Also, my client at least gave me over 24 hour notice for cancellation, which I do appreciate.

What the most silly excuses you heard for the canceling of appointment, either from WG or clients? Apart of course the most clichéd onces like: "something come up", "was called to work", " Business meeting was canceled, forwarded or delayed", "just been involved in road accident" "Wife or children or myself got sick", " my cat was hit by the car", etc?

Edited by Xenia

Xenia, I think you just beat me hands down! :D That is a LUDICROUS excuse in my opinion, but at least he did give you sufficient notice. I simply am not that superstitious, he could be, but there could be an entirely different reason why he is not coming (I mean planning it his diary must have showed Friday 13th all along?).

I am on an overnight booking tonight, and I blinking well hope I don't get booted out at 11:59 at a hotel in Heathrow! (Though I would have my lolly for the whole booking). I have some other bookings for tomorrow as well, and have never had a cancellation on superstition grounds.

I cannot think of my stupidest cancellation excuse (I am quite sure I have had a few - possibly try and block them out). May trawl through emails when I am bored and find you a good one!

I'm trying to think... think yours in un-toppable!!

...You realised that its on Friday the 13th (Tomorrow)? I had an exchange of emails (from 19th of December) with the potential client regarding booking for 13th of January, which is tomorrow for 3 hours outcall in Brum . Few hours ago he called me, and said, that he did not realised that 13th of January is falling on Friday, and he is very superstitious and want to cancel. (even said, that one of his members of family was involved in the road accident on that date some years ago). I was not interesting exactly to hear his explanation regarding his members of the family, but it could be true after all. I am very superstitious by the nature also, however on exact Friday the 13th last spring I received a check from Premium Bonds for £500. (I also won £1000 on PB more then few years back, however it was not on the Fri the 13th). So, it can't be all bad. I am not sure it could beat the excuse of Gemma's client, for not finding the parking space. Also, my client at least gave me over 24 hour notice for cancellation, which I do appreciate. What the most silly excuses you heard for the canceling of appointment, either from WG or clients? Apart of course the most clichéd onces like: "something come up", "was called to work", " Business meeting was canceled, forwarded or delayed", "just been involved in road accident" "Wife or children or myself got sick", " my cat was hit by the car", etc?

No i wouldnt and Friday the 13th has never been anymore unlucky than any other day in my experience. You point out the usual excuses i have heard. Needing to pick grandma up from Heathrow was one and just being told to fuck off when i rang to confirm was another. :)

Funnily enough i do have a punt tomorrow on friday the 13th. I've always been ironic when it comes to superstition and am not scared to break a mirror or walk under a ladder etc. I don't believe in it. If all is well then i'll be getting very lucky tomorrow :)

I think the only excuse a wg has given me was when she was on her period.

Here’s a few cancellation excuses/reasons from clients...

“Called into work” – loads of those!

“Wife’s plans have changed”

“Feeling too guilty to go ahead with the appointment” – cancelled a few hours before. At least he was honest.

“Let down by my childcare arrangement” – not rebooked

“Car trouble” – local man but never rebooked

“Sporting injury” – the same man cancelled twice because of this. I wonder what sport he plays! Never did get to meet him to find out.

“Got a cold sore” – that was 3 years ago. Must be a sod to get rid of as he’s never rebooked.

“Been made redundant”

“A family incident” – this was a no-show 4 hour appointment. Said he’d forgotten his phone so couldn’t contact me. Not rebooked yet, and if he does it will have to be for a much shorter time.

“Wife has decided to come on the trip with me”

“Plans changed”

What strikes me are the number who book, then cancel at the last moment, say they will rebook another time and I never hear from them again. It makes me wonder whether the reasons they gave me were just a polite way of say they’d changed their minds and weren’t interested in meeting after all. I would rather people were honest so I know if it’s something I’ve done wrong and can rectify.

I hate these buggers who make up excuses not to show.When a guy is genuine he dosen't get believed,which i understand.

I suppose the good thing about being a regular the lady knows you don't mess about.

It would never occur to me to cancel due to the date. Tomorrow has been Friday 13th for about 2000 years or so. Why didn't the dozy bu**er look in his diary first? I think he got cold feet. The forecast is for much colder weather tomorrow so that may be it :)

I actually warn those who say "I'm genuine, I'll be there 110%(not sure why 110% is used but it is)" not to tempt fate as a very high number of chaps who have uttered this line, have then had extremely bad luck with relatives being struck down, getting involved in freak accidents, told to work for the next umpteen weeks, and alsorts you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy. As above because of the fibs (and we aren't daft you know), it can be very difficult to be sympathetic when someone is being genuine.

There should be some "code words" so that genuine excuses are accepted and the porkies are revealed for what they are. I will have a think about this.

I think intuition goes a long way. I sometimes get a feeling when a guy books that he will cancel or not show. I usually ignore this and keep the booking- it would be unfair not to (unless instinct says scary bastard in which case I won't accept). I'm not often wrong though!

I actually warn those who say "I'm genuine, I'll be there 110%(not sure why 110% is used but it is)" not to tempt fate as a very high number of chaps who have uttered this line, have then had extremely bad luck with relatives being struck down, getting involved in freak accidents, told to work for the next umpteen weeks, and alsorts you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy. As above because of the fibs (and we aren't daft you know), it can be very difficult to be sympathetic when someone is being genuine.

As with WGs giving excuses for cancelling that i have heard about and read on here over the years statistically punters and WGs must be really unlucky people compared to the rest of society if these excuses are to be believed all the time. ;)

Here’s a few cancellation excuses/reasons from clients...

“Called into work” – loads of those!

“Wife’s plans have changed”

“Feeling too guilty to go ahead with the appointment” – cancelled a few hours before. At least he was honest.

“Let down by my childcare arrangement” – not rebooked

“Car trouble” – local man but never rebooked

“Sporting injury” – the same man cancelled twice because of this. I wonder what sport he plays! Never did get to meet him to find out.

“Got a cold sore” – that was 3 years ago. Must be a sod to get rid of as he’s never rebooked.

“Been made redundant”

“A family incident” – this was a no-show 4 hour appointment. Said he’d forgotten his phone so couldn’t contact me. Not rebooked yet, and if he does it will have to be for a much shorter time.

“Wife has decided to come on the trip with me”

“Plans changed”

What strikes me are the number who book, then cancel at the last moment, say they will rebook another time and I never hear from them again. It makes me wonder whether the reasons they gave me were just a polite way of say they’d changed their minds and weren’t interested in meeting after all. I would rather people were honest so I know if it’s something I’ve done wrong and can rectify.

Lame excuses are rude & disrespectful, why not just be honest? If you've bottled it just say, its not like you'll ever meet & if you did I'm sure the lady would be understanding.

Some people are just plain weird.

It's not really a lot different to girls who never return a call, don't reply to a very simple and polite email (not text), don't text you the address on the day or, best of all for me, don't work that day and then send a grovelly text on the next day. If you don't want to see me, just tell me to fuck off - I won't break - and I won't bother trying again.

Personally speaking, I have cancelled twice through having work plans change on the day, and being self employed and offering a personal service to the people who provide me with an income, that's a risk I have to take; if a client says, can you come round this afternoonand discuss so and so or look at these plans, of course I can. Then, rebooking is often not possible quickly, or at all if I am not often in that area, and days when I can meet up are quite limited anyway. I don't think I'm very different from many people in those respects and I suspect that many cancellations are quite genuine. This is not a game for your regular 9 - 5 £35K pa blokes with a nicely fixed schedule who know exactly where they will be and when.

I've cancelled once due to being held up at work. Was supposed to leave early for an appointment about 40 miles away (so needed to go home first to wash and then drive there) but my boss's boss made everyone stay to the bitter end to complete some orders. Did ring up and let her know and rebooked for the following morning (had a lousy time and wish I hadn't bothered).

I work shifts that may run over so I can't always fit around a girl's 12-8pm or whatever schedule. We might have really busy periods lasting weeks that mean I'm there till the early hours whereas the next day, we finish a few hours early so planning ahead isn't always possible. Some girls don't work weekends due to family commitments so if I'm off then, she's not.

I've had one or two colds before that have caused me to delay bookings as it's not good for either of us.

I remember two cancellantions on my part: in both cases I rebooked later (just to show I'm a good guy eh).

But the agents, in both cases, were relatively rude...

tip for outcalls: never give the hotel or roomnr until you are INside and certain.

I suppose some people do have a change of heart and decide not to rebook.

It could also be due to the fact that a cancellation could result in a poorer service if a rebooking is made. If I've pretty much wasted a girl's time by cancelling a booking with say little notice, she's lost out on another potential client, wated her time getting made-up etc and what's to say that if you did rebook, she would treat you the same as in her eyes you're unreliable, less likely to repeat so there's no real point in giving a decent service once you've got the money is in her hand.

I suppose some people do have a change of heart and decide not to rebook.

It could also be due to the fact that a cancellation could result in a poorer service if a rebooking is made. If I've pretty much wasted a girl's time by cancelling a booking with say little notice, she's lost out on another potential client, wated her time getting made-up etc and what's to say that if you did rebook, she would treat you the same as in her eyes you're unreliable, less likely to repeat so there's no real point in giving a decent service once you've got the money is in her hand.

Nope any decent WG will be happy he's rebooked, whilst I might consider someone is unreliable once they are through my door it's no different to any other booking and I can't see any point not doing because he's a customer and could return. The only way in which it would affect me would be if say a client repeatedly booked and cancelled, I'd then be less likely to go out of my way and/or hold appointments for them in future and would also not get engaged in further texts or emails until we'd met (after a simple phone call to set up the appointment). We'd probably have a bit of a laugh or commiserate about the cancellation and get over it like two adults.

If I don't want to see someone I will tell them, and tell them why.

Interestingly enough I do know that some guys think if you turn them down for a booking once or twice, that you don't want to see them, and I've had to do a little bit of reassuring that if I truly didn't want to see them they'd know because I would say so!

Edited by Strawberry

friday the 13th is only more unlucky because people look for bad luck on that day

One appointment I had was, in the end, not aborted but simply delayed, considerably ..... it seems the wg's cat had thrown up all over her pet rabbit and she was having a job getting the rabbit cleaned up!!! :P

I had a booking, confirmed at 0930 in the morning for 1100 that day, received acknowledgement, arrived, no reply at address, rang lady's number, no reply, eventually answered and said she had mistaken me for someone else! She was busy but if I'd like to come back later.............

It's not only the punters who have excuses!

...You realised that its on Friday the 13th (Tomorrow)?

I had an exchange of emails (from 19th of December) with the potential client regarding booking for 13th of January, which is tomorrow for 3 hours outcall in Brum . Few hours ago he called me, and said, that he did not realised that 13th of January is falling on Friday, and he is very superstitious and want to cancel. (even said, that one of his members of family was involved in the road accident on that date some years ago). I was not interesting exactly to hear his explanation regarding his members of the family, but it could be true after all.

I am very superstitious by the nature also, however on exact Friday the 13th last spring I received a check from Premium Bonds for £500. (I also won £1000 on PB more then few years back, however it was not on the Fri the 13th). So, it can't be all bad.

I am not sure it could beat the excuse of Gemma's client, for not finding the parking space. Also, my client at least gave me over 24 hour notice for cancellation, which I do appreciate.

What the most silly excuses you heard for the canceling of appointment, either from WG or clients? Apart of course the most clichéd onces like: "something come up", "was called to work", " Business meeting was canceled, forwarded or delayed", "just been involved in road accident" "Wife or children or myself got sick", " my cat was hit by the car", etc?

Personally I appreciate anyone actually picking up the phone and making an excuse rather than just not bothering to cancel!

I once got a bit grumpy about someone who'd started seeing me again, who I'd decided not to be strict with confirmation with and who then subsequently didn't turn up. I had a right grumble about it then a few days later spotted his untimely death in the newspaper. I actually found it quite upsetting, and now I do try to insist on all clients making contact in the morning - especially since there are some who say it is ok to text randomly which could be blown out of the water by a death or accident where they aren't in charge of their personal communication devices!