Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Punter

Police Intercepted Call

27 posts in this topic

I was bored today at lunch, so I thought that I would enquire at one of the establishments to find out who's on,

I got the response "This is the police, and you have called a brothel that offers sex. We have your number and will be visiting my home".

That freaked me out!! Has this happened to anyone else??

I was bored today at lunch, so I thought that I would enquire at one of the establishments to find out who's on,

I got the response "This is the police, and you have called a brothel that offers sex. We have your number and will be visiting my home".

That freaked me out!! Has this happened to anyone else??

I think someone is pulling your leg.

Last time I checked, phoning a brothel was not illegal. I can't believe our boys in blue would waste resources like this. Let us know if you do get a visit. Like Strawbs, I think it's more likely to be a hoax of some kind.

Have you used that particular establishment before ?

It is not even illegal be a patron of a brothel, unless the woman are under-age or trafficked and the 'I had not idea' excuse will not wash

I think a thread similar to this came up a year or two ago. Unfortunately I cannot remember the outcome, or find the thread, but will keep looking and link if I do find it.

Last time I checked, phoning a brothel was not illegal. I can't believe our boys in blue would waste resources like this. Let us know if you do get a visit. Like Strawbs, I think it's more likely to be a hoax of some kind.

Have you used that particular establishment before ?

I could believe anything about some of our boys in blue, even this! But if they do turn up I suggest the OP just says it was a wrong number.

I did say that I called the wrong number..after which they made their statement. ...Anyway, they cannot prove who made the call even though it is not illegal to enquire

I did call from my mobile, whilst on my travels. Thanks for your responses and I'll feed back any developments

2002 or 03, I was in a hotel in Aberdeen. I called an agency I had used often but got the voicemail. Having talked to the guy several times, I left a fairly innocuous message with my punting name & no, asking how he was,saying I was in town for one night and if X was around.

Half an hour later there was a call. A female voice saying she was DS somebody from Grampian Police in the small town the agency was based. The tale was that the agency guy had been arrested and closed down, along with the usual guff that I had tried to book a prostitute which was illegal etc etc.and they had his phone and monitored his calls.

The calling number was visible and was close enough the the station number to be an extension. Checking with good old "Aberdeen Girls" he had been closed down.

I was using an anonymous PAYG sim amd so no more on it

Typical Grampian police tactic tho

I thought only the News of the World was allowed to monitor private telephone conversations?

Also, of course, what you did was not illegal.

Crikey...I was reading through the thread thinking that it WAS a hoax till i read the above two posts!. Can't help thinking that either the establishment(s) were done / under surveillance for trafficked or underage girls / drugs etc OR. 'pimping' which I think is illegal. Otherwise, the thought that the boys would moralize above the letter of the law is somewhat scary!....any thoughts anyone?

Further thought.......if they really wanted tyo implicate someone, surely they would be smarter to 'listen in' with the right legal permissions to do so rather than intercept? Doesn't make sense.

2002 or 03, I was in a hotel in Aberdeen. I called an agency I had used often but got the voicemail. Having talked to the guy several times, I left a fairly innocuous message with my punting name & no, asking how he was,saying I was in town for one night and if X was around.

Half an hour later there was a call. A female voice saying she was DS somebody from Grampian Police in the small town the agency was based. The tale was that the agency guy had been arrested and closed down, along with the usual guff that I had tried to book a prostitute which was illegal etc etc.and they had his phone and monitored his calls.

The calling number was visible and was close enough the the station number to be an extension. Checking with good old "Aberdeen Girls" he had been closed down.

should i get an anonymous sim and use a punter name also? This sounds like a good idea, does everyone else do this?

Does sound like Grampian police.

The OP's situation sounds more like somebody messing about.

I've been left on my own in parlour reception areas whilst the girl(s) were busy. During that time the telephone has rung and people have knocked on the door. I've gone and had a look at the CCTV monitor. If it was one of the girls I've unlocked the door and let them in. I've been tempted to answer the phone, but thought best not to.

As others have said it's not illegal to telephone or visit a brothel so I very much doubt that the police will be coming around this evening.

All the more reason though to have a PAYG SIM.

Where do you get a PAYG SIM without using a card to pay for it or to register it? Market?

Where do you get a PAYG SIM without using a card to pay for it or to register it? Market?

Local newsagent for a £1 or less, and pay cash. If you want to register it give a false address and post-code.

good thinking. I just ordered a PAYG sim online and gave my details. What an idiot :eek:

will have to pop over to the news agents and pick one up

btw if i use it in a contract registered phone can they still trace it back?

If a crime is serious enough most electronic things can be traced in some way or another. As long as you don't plan on doing anything like that they really aren't going to bother, and phoning a brothel isn't a crime!

Get a cheap PAYG phone from Argos, ASDA, Tesco etc. They won't ask for your details and if they do give false ones. Vodafone is good because you don't have to register to activate it. Even if you do register you can give a false address and post-code. Top up with cash. Just use it for punting and don't ring family or friends. If you're really paranoid then take the battery out when not in use.

It's virtually untraceable unless they need to trace the number to investigate terrorism or murder and are prepared to throw resources at tracing it.

yeh i think using it in my contract phone should be safe enough as my main aim is to ensure i dont get any inconvenient calls at home, but if the law ever gets tighter on the punting scene i prob wud buy a cheap sim to be safe

I'm curious on this, as the OP has not stated whether he dialled 141 first to withhold his number. Had whoever answered made that claim, then you'd know it was a scam.

Plus it's not an offence to dial a wrong number - well, not yet.

I did say that I called the wrong number..after which they made their statement. ...Anyway, they cannot prove who made the call even though it is not illegal to enquire

You said you told them you called a wrong number before they made the statement. What made you tell them it was a wrong number before they made that statement? or did they something else first?

Maybe they thought it was a nuisance call so thought they would try and scare you off.