LondonPunter30

First Visit to Sexual Heath Clinic - not sure if I got a proper test

16 posts in this topic

So I just had my first visit to a walk in sexual health centre. I've seen the tests done on TV before and I was expect to have a swap taken from my penis but all they did was just make me pee in a cup so not sure if I am getting a proper full HIV STD test.

Also one of the girls I am seeing works in the industry and she is keen for me to get a proper certificate, i've seen her so know she is clear at the moment. She said it would be a tick box on the form then they would issue a cert through the post later but this wasn't on the form.

The receptionist didn't seem the most clued up of people when I asked a few questions so thought I would ask for some advice here instead

Did you ask for a full spectrum STD and HIV test?If you didn't you probably only got a basic test.

NHS clinics do not provide a certificate, to get one you must go privately.

Did you ask for a full spectrum STD and HIV test?If you didn't you probably only got a basic test.

NHS clinics do not provide a certificate, to get one you must go privately.

thanks for the info. i just asked for an STD test so looks like I just got the basic one. Is there anything that doesn't check for that I should worry about ?

Not getting the cert is ok as without one it means I won't do anything that will put me at risk

This has been done to death recently - do a search on "GUM".

Basically tho you need to tell them that you are bisexual and shag anything and everyone bareback.

That will get you a full MOT as well as counselling but you get the full works.

thanks I'll do a search through the forums if I can't find what I am looking for I will ask again

currently no urine test for HIV so if thats the only test u got, hiv wasn't tested for.

seems you can't do a search for GUM as it is too short but clinic has worked and brought back loads of results

seems you can't do a search for GUM as it is too short but clinic has worked and brought back loads of results

Good, yes, I forgot that our search engine is designed to make useful stuff like GUM unsearchable. GUM Clinic would do it and I am glad you found that out!! :D

I've seen the tests done on TV before and I was expect to have a swap taken.....

Also one of the girls I am seeing works in the industry and she is keen for me to get a proper certificate........

They used to take a swab to see what bacteria they could grow and to look for pus cells under the microscope. Now they increasingly use molecular tests to look for Chamydia and the gonorrhoea bacteria (the main bacteria that give urethritis) in a urine sample and only do a swab if there is a discharge, which would indicate the presence of pus cells. As others have said, they should also do blood tests for HIV and syphilis.

Having a WG ask for a health certificate is a new one. Tell us more

When I went, I got 2 swabs of my japs eye.

The first was just around the rim, the second was a little more uncomfortable as it went ever so slightly further in.

I also got blood tested and urine tested (I fainted after having my blood taken cos I'm a little uneasy with needles :D)

They DO NOT use a wire brush as is the myth that people often are afraid of :D

i just used clinin and removed the GUM, found the info I needed, just wish I didn't waste people's time and did a search before hand. Sorry for that and thanks for all the replies

Hello there, hope this is of some use. If you have no symptoms, such as itching, discharge, lumps or bumps then the first part of your urine is sent 2 check 4 chlymidia&gonorrhea. I'd u have pain passing urine then u will be asked 2 provide a mid stream urine sample which will initially be dipstick tested in clinic then sent 2 grow cultures in lab. If u have performed oral sex on a man or received anal sex then a swab from both areas may be taken also-this also is for chlymidia/gonorrhea. Men r not routinely checked 4 TV as its hard 2 pick up in men so they r generally only treated if a female partner has had it. No NHS service can do a urine test 4 HIV or Syphilis some can do a mouth swab but accompanied by blood test. NHS clinics can provide a certificate B to highlight what you have been screened 4. Hope this is of some use and again this is only 4 NHS clinics. Kindest regards, Nurse Isabelle :-D

So I just had my first visit to a walk in sexual health centre. I've seen the tests done on TV before and I was expect to have a swap taken from my penis but all they did was just make me pee in a cup so not sure if I am getting a proper full HIV STD test.

Also one of the girls I am seeing works in the industry and she is keen for me to get a proper certificate, i've seen her so know she is clear at the moment. She said it would be a tick box on the form then they would issue a cert through the post later but this wasn't on the form.

The receptionist didn't seem the most clued up of people when I asked a few questions so thought I would ask for some advice here instead

If you tell them that you visit wgs, you will get the full range of tests.

I hate going to the clinic (I have a phobia about speculums and needles!) but it is a necessary evil *sigh* Jabs, intimate poking (I try to pretend I'm just doing medical fetish roleplay!) and a lovely throat swab! Still, the staff are always professional and friendly, I treat myself to some chocolate and a cappucino afterwards and the knowing that I (and my clients) are safe when the results are confirmed makes the expreience worth it.

C xx