Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigTom

Petition supporting legislation on Number10.gov.uk

4 posts in this topic

I see that the Feminist Coalition Against Prostition have a petition on Number10.gov.uk which currently has 264 supporters.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/FCAPpetition1

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to criminalise the purchase of sexual services so as to curb demand for prostitution and reduce sex trafficking; to decriminalise the sale of sex, and to fund services to help women exit prostitution and secure alternative employment.

Looks like they are on to a winner there.

They are certainly being clever with their wording.

If we ignore the fact that the sale of sexual services is not illegal, they appear to have put in the part about decriminalisation in order to get signatures from those who actually approve of this measure, but not the criminalisation of the buyer.

I do note that most of the signatures are from women. HH et al have already said that the Swedish model was rejected by the police as criminalising too many people to be practical. That approach seems to be dead in the water and even the new suggestion will still criminalise too many people I think. Wouldn't worry about it, the name of their organisation will put off anybody who might have been swayed by it.