JemmaLondon

Old But Interesting Research Paper - Dr Brooke Magnanti

14 posts in this topic

Hi All

Just having a chat with someone about the ridiculous myths surrounding this industry that are constantly perpetuated by politics and remembered this really brilliant paper by one of my heroes Dr Brooke Magnanti, formerly Belle de Jour.

It was her green paper in response to a Lilith/Eaves funded research paper on the impact of adult entertaintment on rape statistics in Camden. She showed how incredibly flawed the research methodology was. It makes for a very interesting read, but just makes you wonder if the same hoo haa was given to her report as was the original paper.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/47185652/Green-Paper-Camden-Lilith-rape-stats

That was a classic demolition job! I read it some time ago and regret that it hasn't apparently been read - or believed - by The Powers.

That was a classic demolition job! I read it some time ago and regret that it hasn't apparently been read - or believed - by The Powers.

I can well believe that, though I wasn't in the UK when it was published so don't know what the response was. It just really riles me that The Powers think that they know what is best for sex workers and their clients, and will ignore consultation with official bodies or research like this. Harriet Harman, I LOVE what I do you silly woman!

Not the first time their GCSE-level 'research' has been ripped apart by genuine academics

Women have become increasingly sexualised over the years. Thankfully we are more or less treated as equals (with the odd discrepancy), but the media seems to promote a woman's ability to make money through her sexuality and true sexual liberalisation has been replaced by materialism. The constant barrage of sexual imagery could possibly have an affect on some men and be detrimental to women as a whole. I'm all for commercial sex (whatever form it takes) to be hidden and instead for the role of women to be portrayed much favourably in society, not just as a piece of meat fit for lusting over and shagging.

I can well believe that, though I wasn't in the UK when it was published so don't know what the response was. It just really riles me that The Powers think that they know what is best for sex workers and their clients, and will ignore consultation with official bodies or research like this. Harriet Harman, I LOVE what I do you silly woman!

+1 Jemma

Love it too xx

Women have become increasingly sexualised over the years. Thankfully we are more or less treated as equals (with the odd discrepancy), but the media seems to promote a woman's ability to make money through her sexuality and true sexual liberalisation has been replaced by materialism. The constant barrage of sexual imagery could possibly have an affect on some men and be detrimental to women as a whole. I'm all for commercial sex (whatever form it takes) to be hidden and instead for the role of women to be portrayed much favourably in society, not just as a piece of meat fit for lusting over and shagging.

A thought-provoking post there VS, and one that I find myself in full agreement with

Dr. Magnanti is to be admired for her work for sure, because as an academic she can present a structured and reasoned paper

but also because having worked in the industry herself she can empathise with the issues we face, such as shoddy statistics. :)

Have you been reading this by any chance (good read, if you haven't)?

Mainstreaming Sex: The Sexualisation of Western Culture

B

Have you been reading this by any chance (good read, if you haven't)?

Mainstreaming Sex: The Sexualisation of Western Culture

B

No, but it does look a good read Bacchus.

It annoys me somewhat when those of us who choose to sell and pay for sex and do it with discretion and decorum get slated. Yet, society could do far more to promote the genders and do it far more productively. I can understand some of the feminists concern, but draw the line when they demonise us men. I think Brooke Magnanti is spot on.

It's long been my opinion that those who try to impose their rules on the general population, be it in the field of sexuality, drugs, religion or any of the many areas of human activity that should properly be left to individual choice, do so not because they are truly concerned for the individuals engaged in the behaviour in question but because they want a vehicle for their own ends, their own egos.

Eaves, Bindel, Harman, McShane et al. don't really give a monkey's about sex workers or their clients - they just want to raise their own profile, to make an issue out of it and stir up a moral panic so that they can be seen as leaders of some kind of crusade, benefitting from the grants and the public exposure that such things attract.

I take it you're a Sun reader who watches East Enders, Corrie, TOWIE and subscribes to Nuts and Zoo magazine then, because if you read some of the broadsheets and watched the right kind of tv you'd definitely adopt a more balanced view imo.

Edited by SpoksEyebrows

I take it you're a Sun reader who watches East Enders, Corrie, TOWIE and subscribes to Nuts and Zoo magazine then, because if you read some of the broadsheets and watched the right kind of tv you'd definitely adopt a more balanced view imo.

:D Spoks I'm a few days late, but I enjoyed that - even if no-one else commented. Always enjoy it when Pnet steps it up a gear and goes highbrow. Good post Jemma, really interesting but unfortunately all too typical of the lazy rhetoric of government reports..

Nope.

Advertising, music industry, etc etc

http://www.apa.org/pi/women/programs/girls/report.aspx