vivluvsme

Best Tech Help For Dummies Sites?

14 posts in this topic

I have often found this techie forum helpful and always interesting.

If it is that good on massage forum, are there forums which others have found dedicated to such matters and appropriate for dummies that some of us could gain a lot from?

I am prompted to ask just now because of a loss of sound on my PC - don't worry for me, I always buy secondhand PCs, nuff said - and I just supect I've done something to cause it.

Have done most (or not) things like checking it isn't on mute but now finding it a real pain and annoyed there may be something simple I can do.

Oh I seem to be opening my heart here now so I will add that one thing I am never confident about is which set of prongs to add the lead to, there seem to be more than one for no great purpose useful to me and they are not labelled well enough for me to be confident I am on the right one - I said help for dummies, didn't I...

Over to you, Lucy :)

Put the lead for the speakers in the light green socket, which on my audio card is the centre one.

Put the lead for the speakers in the light green socket, which on my audio card is the centre one.

No I am talking about the internal lead to the sound card.

Is your device plugged into front or back? For now try the back, there shouldn't be any leads to worry about and we can help from there.

Is your device plugged into front or back? For now try the back, there shouldn't be any leads to worry about and we can help from there.

Thanks - yes it's in the back but there is a single core grey lead which fits onto a set of prong on the sound card.

I know in the past I have seen it shown attached in a 'how to' article but not sure which set of pins correct, or if needed if the PC can update the driver for itself.

I'm a bit puzzled by this internal lead. I've not had an audio card for a while and just relied on the motherboard. Where does the lead go? Front of the case?

Going back 10-15 years you often had a lead from CDrom to audio card but I'm guessing its not that old?

Have you pulled the card out and had a look in good light? Should say what all the various jumpers are for.

I feel its more likely a driver issue. What os are you running?

Thanks - yes it's in the back but there is a single core grey lead which fits onto a set of prong on the sound card.

I know in the past I have seen it shown attached in a 'how to' article but not sure which set of pins correct, or if needed if the PC can update the driver for itself.

The wire would connect to the back of the cd rom drive.

Make sure that you check the bios to see if your audio card is enabled. You can get into the bios screen by pressing (usually) F1 or F2 as soon as it starts to boot up.

Thanks Amanda and medwaygang. I have looked at videos like this (no sound of course!) but different sound cards set out the three sets of prongs in different places.

Amanda's video is only 2009 so the internal lead thing not that old-fashioned it seems.

But even if it's not needed, no sound with or without it.

Had any luck with it?

You never stated which OS you are running, sound options have changed a bit.

Is there sound on the motherboard? Does it work? In hindsight the system maybe defaulting to that.

back to the original question, if I have a technical question, i google it. Usually one of the forums have something.

Medwatguy, no sound from motherboard or anything. haven't found that Bios page the video shows.

I am wondering what the default is and will trawl through the bios a bit more.

Yes CP I have done all that but simply not found anything that sorted me out.

thanks for people's help though.

Do you know what motherboard model you have? Should say ont the initial boot screen or somewhere on it. bios settings varies constantly depending on model.

Is there any information on the sound card? I mean: brand model or chip type