Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
London07

Soho's Posh Plaque

13 posts in this topic

I was having a wanda around London this afternoon trying to find a shop that did a type of brass :) hinge I was after and no it was for a cupboard I can assure you lol But I recalled a little tool merchants shop in soho that had loads of brass hardware in the window so I popped across from Totty Crt Rd to this shop. On my way I had to raise a smile as on a door down a little posh mews was a posh plaque with the words "This is not a brothel no prostitutes live here" I thought it was hilarious that someone had gone to the trouble to have a plaque made up knowing the areas reputation

London07

I was having a wanda around London this afternoon trying to find a shop that did a type of brass :) hinge I was after and no it was for a cupboard I can assure you lol But I recalled a little tool merchants shop in soho that had loads of brass hardware in the window so I popped across from Totty Crt Rd to this shop. On my way I had to raise a smile as on a door down a little posh mews was a posh plaque with the words "This is not a brothel no prostitutes live here" I thought it was hilarious that someone had gone to the trouble to have a plaque made up knowing the areas reputation

London07

Perhaps it used to be a brothel and they still get people knocking on the door. ;)

Oh fluck me that was the plaque :) Bang on Cous lol ......

London07

I find these people good for hinges http://www.restoration-materials.co.uk/www.restoration-materials.gbr.cc/info.php?p=13&pno=0&cat=40667&search=&sought=3

Not a plaque but my all-time favourite walk-up sign (from more inventive sixties Soho) was 'Tall RedHead has Ginger Pussy for sale'. In Berwick Street, if I remember correctly, a street that seemed to be wall to wall WG flats - red lights and 'come hither' everywhere. '

I did actually see a girl in Meard Street once ! an indy, not a walk-up. Possibly not exactly the same address, as I would have noticed the plaque ....

Meard Street had, for a short time in the 1980s, a brothel with transgendered WGs (not sure if they were TS, TV or mixture). A couple of doors from Gossips, the night club.

I did actually see a girl in Meard Street once ! an indy, not a walk-up. Possibly not exactly the same address, as I would have noticed the plaque ....

My Secret Life used to work as an indie from a flat in Meard St at one stage.

My Secret Life used to work as an indie from a flat in Meard St at one stage.

It wasn't her, it was a black girl, but could conceivably have been the same flat. Rather flamboyant victorian style decor as I remember.

I think that Sebastian Horsley lived at this address in Meard Street, and it is something to do with him. There was a doorway in Meard Street in the 80s where women robbed men. 'Meard' apparently is pronounced like the French word 'merde'.

That was def Sebastian's address!! Not sure if the plaque is still there but it was not so long ago.