Madison

Punters Who Assume All You Do Is Provide

59 posts in this topic

Sorry if this comes off as a bit bitchy - but it is something I have experienced more since I've been in London than I ever did in the states.

I am in Uni full-time here, I have also at times had a part-time civilian job, which I am looking to get one again. So, as you can imagine, bewteen uni, work and being a provider, I stay pretty busy.

I am not complaining, I love my life and wouldn't have it any different - but my point is, that sometimes things comes up and I am not available for bookings. I try never to cancel at the last minute, but sometimes I get a booking two-three days in advance, and then turns out by the day before something comes up and I cannot make it. I always contact the gent as soon as I know and offer an alternative time/day when I will be available. I know this can be inconvenient for people, so I try never to do it unless an absolute necessity.

I generally leave it at that, as in I do not explain to them in detail why it is I am unavailable, bc to be honest, it is my life, and so imo no one's business why it is that I am busy.

But I have had some gents basically shoot back slightly smarmy responses to me, and it makes me feel as if they think I am taking other bookings over theirs or if I am cancelling bc "I don't feel like taking the booking" or something like that.

It is a bit frustrating for me seeing as how this is not the case, and also of course, I do worry they will be upset and cancel or just in general feel that I am an unreliable provider, when this is also not the case.

So anyways, I am just wondering from all the gents out there, do you automatically assume that all wg's only provide and have no other committments? (Or have I just been unfortunate enough to meet the few that do?)

Hi Madison, I just had as quick a look at your site as a punter might before calling you to book... You say you're usually available to see clients what I'd think of as full time hours, if that's not the case perhaps you should change it to reflect your part time busy doing other stuff status ?

The problem isn't clients - it is MEN!!!! They expect to be the centre of our universe. If they aren't, we're playing hard to get, we're unprofessional etc. I smile & shrug it off.

Now, what irritates me is clients who make two bookings & cancel twice, then expect us to bend over backwards - or delay retiring to accommodate them.

You'll feel great when you've finished your degree!

I think it's part of today's very demanding consumer culture. My wife expects me home by 6pm to help with cooking and the kids etc., yet gets in a strop if no-one is available to take her call at the Next catalogue on a Sunday morning - those people have families too!

Hi Madison, I just had as quick a look at your site as a punter might before calling you to book... You say you're usually available to see clients what I'd think of as full time hours, if that's not the case perhaps you should change it to reflect your part time busy doing other stuff status ?

Yes, I am about to go on break, as of Thursday, and so I will be available for those times for a full month (yay!) But normally when I am in full swing of term time, I do change my availability to reflect it.

The problem isn't clients - it is MEN!!!! They expect to be the centre of our universe. If they aren't, we're playing hard to get, we're unprofessional etc. I smile & shrug it off.

Now, what irritates me is clients who make two bookings & cancel twice, then expect us to bend over backwards - or delay retiring to accommodate them.

Yes, I can't wait. I FINALLY graduate next Summer, wooo hoo! :D

I think it's part of today's very demanding consumer culture. My wife expects me home by 6pm to help with cooking and the kids etc., yet gets in a strop if no-one is available to take her call at the Next catalogue on a Sunday morning - those people have families too!

I think you are right - western culture in general is all about the consumer getting what they want, when they want it, no questions! I find it funny tho - in the states, when I told clients I was in uni, they seemed to regard it as perfectly natural. When I tell my clients here the same, I usually am responded to with somewhat of a surprised tone. I am wondering if it is not as common for wg's here to also be students? (Though iin all fairness, I am a bit of an "older" student as I am 26.)

I think you are right - western culture in general is all about the consumer getting what they want, when they want it, no questions! I find it funny tho - in the states, when I told clients I was in uni, they seemed to regard it as perfectly natural. When I tell my clients here the same, I usually am responded to with somewhat of a surprised tone. I am wondering if it is not as common for wg's here to also be students? (Though iin all fairness, I am a bit of an "older" student as I am 26.)

Could be that because prostitution is illegal in the US the clients know that "beggars can't be choosers", and so don't get so narked?

It's funny tho - in the states, when I told clients I was in uni, they seemed to regard it as perfectly natural. When I tell my clients here the same, I usually am responded to with somewhat of a surprised tone. I am wondering if it is not as common for wg's here to also be students? (Though iin all fairness, I am a bit of an "older" student as I am 26.)

Americans spend longer in education. My clients want to know what I'm studying & where. I've seen too many Academics who work in similar areas.

Could be that because prostitution is illegal in the US the clients know that "beggars can't be choosers", and so don't get so narked?

Hmmmm, perhpas you are right, never thought about this! Gosh, there are so many in's and out's to providing here - I have lived here now almost two years and I am still learning about the differences between a UK and a US working community.

Madison, of course working ladies have lives and commitments away from the job same as everyone else, handling a need to cancel in the manner you're doing noone has any right or reason to bitch, it's not as if you're letting the client waste his time and/or money getting to your door and not answering. why those that do get leary in those circumstances do it? no idea, I don't share the mentality so couldn't say.

Lara, I'd say the vast majority of clients are men, you might want to rethink such a sweeping generalisation ;)

Americans spend longer in education. My clients want to know what I'm studying & where. I've seen too many Academics who work in similar areas.

Yet another reason I never knew! I think you are right, as a bog standard degree for us is 4 years minimum. Also, tho I completed a degree in the states, I had to start over from the beginning at my uni here, since the credits didn't translate - which is why it is taking me so damned long!

Lara, I'd say the vast majority of clients are men, you might want to rethink such a sweeping generalisation ;)

It's tongue in cheek, but cliches are very often true. I've heard of WGs turning bookings down to attend funerals, only to be asked whether they'd see the client later that day!

Madison, of course working ladies have lives and commitments away from the job same as everyone else, handling a need to cancel in the manner you're doing noone has any right or reason to bitch, it's not as if you're letting the client waste his time and/or money getting to your door and not answering. why those that do get leary in those circumstances do it? no idea, I don't share the mentality so couldn't say.

Thank you! :)

My favourite position!! :)

The answere to your question is no I dont assume WG have no other commitments. But...

I do sense you feel bad with the strong words you got . Sorry. I dont think it was me, but it might as well have been - I am capable of a sharp word at times. I do expect WG to have lives. Your web site is HOT! But your website does not say, "I do take a booking two-three days in advance, but if the day before something comes up and I cannot make it I will cancel. If this is not Ok dont call me"

So if you do can cancel, I would try to be civil, but a bit of an attitude may slip out. Since it is a rare thing (we hope) you dont feel bad too often. I know dentists, car repairmen, WG, fancy tax lawyers and others who take appointsments have other lives. But if they take a booking 3 days in advance and cancel 2 days later, strong words may be said.

But I have had some gents basically shoot back slightly smarmy responses to me, and it makes me feel as if they think I am taking other bookings over theirs or if I am cancelling bc "I don't feel like taking the booking" or something like that.

It is a bit frustrating for me seeing as how this is not the case, and also of course, I do worry they will be upset and cancel or just in general feel that I am an unreliable provider, when this is also not the case.

So anyways, I am just wondering from all the gents out there, do you automatically assume that all wg's only provide and have no other committments? (Or have I just been unfortunate enough to meet the few that do?)

it could be nothing more than letting off steam - childish but ultimately harmless, might not mean a rescheduled booking wouldn't still happen ...you sort of tempered it with 'slightly' smarmy so not nasty at least?

...I always book well in advance, initial contact at least 5 days before lots of Q&A ;) and booking made at least 3 days before in most cases ...I never roll with a plan B as I've read some punters recommend and i need a pre planned alibi to be offline for the duration as I frequently book 90-120 minutes

so if it got cancelled it's usually really dissapointing as I never cancel (yet), could happen but once it's planned I'm all in

but no i wouldn't have any reason to doubt it was unavoidable or get paranoid as to why, neither would i feel teh need to send a smarmy message, I had a short notice cancellation and she claimed illness, I thanked her for letting know and wished her good health, she was recommended by a nice guy on this board so I follow up emailed her a week later hoping she was doing okay - nothing more and no rebooking attempt on that follow up,

as long as it's with reasonable notice I wouldn't blacklist her and I'd try to find a short notice fall back or revert to my regular though it's unlikely I would rebook anytime soon if it was a first visit to said lady, nothing against her or her reason but as an unknown quantity there probably wouldn't be anything to make me try to get a booking twice if and because I already have a number of 'known' providers I've wanted to revisit or new ladies I was equally keen to meet

Edited by dami3n

Sorry if this comes off as a bit bitchy - but it is something I have experienced more since I've been in London than I ever did in the states.

I am in Uni full-time here, I have also at times had a part-time civilian job, which I am looking to get one again. So, as you can imagine, bewteen uni, work and being a provider, I stay pretty busy.

I am not complaining, I love my life and wouldn't have it any different - but my point is, that sometimes things comes up and I am not available for bookings. I try never to cancel at the last minute, but sometimes I get a booking two-three days in advance, and then turns out by the day before something comes up and I cannot make it. I always contact the gent as soon as I know and offer an alternative time/day when I will be available. I know this can be inconvenient for people, so I try never to do it unless an absolute necessity.

I generally leave it at that, as in I do not explain to them in detail why it is I am unavailable, bc to be honest, it is my life, and so imo no one's business why it is that I am busy.

Hi Madison,

I had that before myself and gents think you double book. I am a full time student as well and it can very stressfull. Some guys they like to book in advance and i am always nervous not to let them down. But there are cases when something pops out and you just cant make it. I lost a lot of nice gents because of that. I even tried to explain but not everybody understands. Some of them are very kind and get in to your shoes and reschedule meeting. So not you not only one in this situation.I hope when they read your topic, some of them can be more understanding. :)))

Madison.

How about if you decide to cancel a booking you offer a 30% fee reduction for a re scheduled future appointment to a dissapointed client as an act of goodwill?

Rather than acting like a pouty princess?

Edited by garth

Madison.

How about if you decide to cancel a booking you offer a 30% fee reduction for a re scheduled future appointment to a dissapointed client as an act of goodwill?

Does that mean clients who cancel should pay a 30% cancellation fee too? Sauce, goose, sauce gander. 

Madison.

in the same breadth would a punter cancelling then pay +30% increase on future bookings ...reciprocity and what not?

edit: Lara beat me to it ...what she said basically ;)

Edited by dami3n

Does that mean clients who cancel should pay a 30% cancellation fee too? Sauce, goose, sauce gander. 

Honestly, no, because clients do not provide the service, they pay for it. That's not to sound crass, but if I went to a restaurant, where I had booked a table, and found it to be closed, I'd be pretty irritated. However, if I decided not to go to a restaurant, I wouldn't expect them to charge me for not turning up, although in fairness, I would consider it quite rude for a customer not to cancel ahead of the booking.

Frankly, a service provider has to manage customer expectations. If a customer books an appointment, and it is cancelled, then the customer's expectation has not been met. Maybe it is because punters see the exchange of money for a service as a business transaction, that in modern society, expectations are much higher than ever before. Modern consumers are far needier and are far quicker to complain than ever before, so whilst not really knowing the answer, perhaps it might be suggested that customers who book with you are told in advance that due to other life commitments, bookings "may" be cancelled at short notice? At least it alters the customers' expectations slightly. I can't speak for others, but if I was told that, then I'd understand. Communication is always the key to managing expectations.

I usually book sameday so this is very rarely a scenario that i experience but if i have made a booking i am disappointed if i am let down, if the WG is a newbie to me its unlikely though not definitely out of the question that i would try again. If a regular then as i have built up some basic trust it wouldnt be a problem, though it doesnt happen often anyway.

I automatically assume till i discover otherwise that a booking is a booking and just like when i make an appointment outside of punting if its cancelled its inconvenient but these things happen. I always have a plan B option nowadays so i wouldnt be as disappointed as i was in the past. :)

Sorry, but I have to agree with Lara and dami3n here - a cancellation on either side is an incovenience to whomever is the one who got cancelled on. I would say even moreso for the provider as we then could have filled in the time with another booking.

It does not happen often, and in fact has only maybe 3-4 times since I have moved here. We are people too, with lives. What if I got into an accident on the way to my in-call, and so couldn't make the booking. Should I give the client a 30% discount then?

Edited by Madison

I guess the thing is whatever clients perceive you (us) do with the rest of our lives when we are not working getting cancelled on is annoying. If I was cancelled by my dentist, hairdresser, restaurant, waxer, whatever because 'Something had come up' I would be pretty irritated. If they told me they were cancelling because their premises had burnt down or they had a family death then of course I would be disappointed but sympathetic. Maybe it's worth giving them the real reason or at least once that sounds less flakey?