junkies001

Mouth Cancer Increase In Young Linked To Oral Sex

6 posts in this topic

Just read this article in today's metro..

http://www.metro.co....ked-to-oral-sex

an extract from the atricle

Oral cancer cases have risen above 6,000 a year for the first time and experts believe it may be due to rising rates of infection by the human papilloma virus (HPV).

Oral sex could now rival heavy smoking and drinking as a cause of oral cancer.

There were particularly sharp rises in rates of cancers at the base of the tongue (an almost 90 per cent increase) and the tonsils (a 70 per cent increase).

They are two areas of the mouth where cancers are more commonly HPV-related.

Is Covered O the best way forward for both punters & WGs ?

Your views please.

Edited by junkies001

I would say that covered oral would certainly reduce the risk, though I can't see much of a reduction in WGs offering OWO unless this becomes big news.

A programme with Jamie Winstone has already been aired on tv about this. Whats suprising and concerning is that only girls at schools are getting vaccinated for it and not the boys. And if you are an adult you have to pay for the vaccination, which can cost anything between £300 and £600.

I can only think about it as a missed opportunity with adults as for school kids; better to catch them young to protect our future generations.. though don't understand why boys arent included... er.. Andrew Lansley & Simon Burns must think only girls engage in 'O'.. LoL

A programme with Jamie Winstone has already been aired on tv about this. Whats suprising and concerning is that only girls at schools are getting vaccinated for it and not the boys. And if you are an adult you have to pay for the vaccination, which can cost anything between £300 and £600.

HPV can also apparently be transmitted via skin contact and kissing, so there are big issues for the wider population. And is it just the HPV types transmitted by practising OWO causing the reported rise in cancer cases? If the problem of HPV associated cancer continue to grow I guess that research into the subject will intensify (just as research into HIV/AIDS did in the 1980s) and much much more will be known regarding risk factors and prevention strategies 10/15/20 years from now. No smoke without fire though, so until the scientists know more maybe oral with is prudent and possibly the shape of things to come? And just to be sure also avoid reverse oral, kissing and touching anybody while you are at it!

Has anybody been tested for HPVs at the GUM clinic and what where the results?

Is the incidence of HPV cancers higher for punters/providers (active and retired) than in the wider community?

I'm afraid HPV is a scarily infectious virus that can cause serious illness.

HPV comes in many 'strains', and the vaccine now used routinely in the UK for girls only protects against a certain number of these strains. HPV is similar to the virus that causes genital warts. Some studies suggest certain strains of HPV cause over 95% of all cases of cervical cancer.

I guess people need to make their own informed choices about what they do with regards to OWO. It won't stop me from receiving it, nor doing RO and DFK, but some of the younger guys might need to think carefully about it.