Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Beenaboutabit

Google Chrome - Bt Yahoo

15 posts in this topic

Some months ago I had Chrome installed on my pc, and it went like a dream - until last week. At that point when I tried to access my BT page for email etc, I put in my details and password, pressed the button and was shown a page saying the page I was requesting was unavailable.

After numerous attempts I contacted BT and they accessed my pc intending to sort the problem, but eventually had to admit defeat as far as Chrome was concerned, but did get access for me via Mozilla Firefox.

A bit of a pity because it is snail-like when compared with Chrome and other than accessing BT for emails I go back to Chrome which works perfectly well for anything other than accessing BT Yahoo.

Any ideas anyone? It's not an emergency, just annoying.

I had the same problem. Refreshing the page each time before I log in does the trick for me.

dump BT.

Simples!

Why not just use Firefox?

Many thanks all. I'll try refreshing the page - I have given BT notice of my intention to quit, but I still have 6 months of my agreed contract to run - I am using Firefox, Strawberry, but as I live in the sticks I get a slow Broadband speed at the best of times and Firefox (even the latest one) isn't anywhere near as quick or well laid out as Chrome. However, Firefox is allowing me to type this, so it's not to be dismissed.

I often think that due to my lack of techie know-how I make problems for myself, but in this case I did precisely nothing to offend any programs or processes, and by asking people on here I get a better feel for what might have happened. I suppose that in some instances it is the wizardry of computing that screws up and not my tired old grey matter!

Btw, I was with AOL before BT and don't have any great wish to go back, I understand PlusNet is now a part of BT .... which begs the question do you know of any reliable provider, and conversely any to avoid? Cheers.

I had the same problem. Refreshing the page each time before I log in does the trick for me.

I've just done something similar. I didn't recall exactly what you had posted and refreshed the page when I got to the rejection, lo and behold it worked. A slight variation but successful nevertheless, many thanks!! :)

I've just done something similar. I didn't recall exactly what you had posted and refreshed the page when I got to the rejection, lo and behold it worked. A slight variation but successful nevertheless, many thanks!! :)

Glad it helped :)

Many thanks all. I'll try refreshing the page - I have given BT notice of my intention to quit, but I still have 6 months of my agreed contract to run - I am using Firefox, Strawberry, but as I live in the sticks I get a slow Broadband speed at the best of times and Firefox (even the latest one) isn't anywhere near as quick or well laid out as Chrome. However, Firefox is allowing me to type this, so it's not to be dismissed.

I often think that due to my lack of techie know-how I make problems for myself, but in this case I did precisely nothing to offend any programs or processes, and by asking people on here I get a better feel for what might have happened. I suppose that in some instances it is the wizardry of computing that screws up and not my tired old grey matter!

Btw, I was with AOL before BT and don't have any great wish to go back, I understand PlusNet is now a part of BT .... which begs the question do you know of any reliable provider, and conversely any to avoid? Cheers.

Avoid Talk Talk like the plague, I came under their umbrella as a Tiscali customer and the service went from bad to even worse (plus they've messed up friends accounts too). Will not touch them with a bargepole.

To be honest I think the service is pretty much the same from all providers, most use or subcontract via the same people, and everyone blames BT anyway if there's an error. Stick with what you know!

Avoid Talk Talk like the plague,

I agree! :)

Back in the days when Talk Talk used to be Bulldog (before it was Tiscali, and before it was Pipex) I had the worst customer service experience I have ever endured. I can only imagine they keep changing their name to try and shake the atrocious feedback trail left by angry customers.

Zen Broadband is considered by many to be the best UK provider, although perhaps a little more expensive than others. I've used O2 before and found the customer service and connectivity to be excellent.

Some months ago I had Chrome installed on my pc, and it went like a dream - until last week. At that point when I tried to access my BT page for email etc, I put in my details and password, pressed the button and was shown a page saying the page I was requesting was unavailable.

After numerous attempts I contacted BT and they accessed my pc intending to sort the problem, but eventually had to admit defeat as far as Chrome was concerned, but did get access for me via Mozilla Firefox.

A bit of a pity because it is snail-like when compared with Chrome and other than accessing BT for emails I go back to Chrome which works perfectly well for anything other than accessing BT Yahoo.

Any ideas anyone? It's not an emergency, just annoying.

Not sure if it will work, but it should. On the Chrome click Tools, then Options, then Under the Hood tab. Under Privacy section untick box "Use DNS pre-fetching to improve page load performance". If you are using the recent version of the Chrome, untick "Predict network actions, to improve page load performance". Hope it will help.

Not sure if it will work, but it should. On the Chrome click Tools, then Options, then Under the Hood tab. Under Privacy section untick box "Use DNS pre-fetching to improve page load performance". If you are using the recent version of the Chrome, untick "Predict network actions, to improve page load performance". Hope it will help.

Sorry, forgot to mention, that you need to restart the browser after.

Sorry, forgot to mention, that you need to restart the browser after.

Many thanks, Xenia. At the moment I've had success with the refresh button, but possibly there is still an underlying problem and I'm saving your helpful solution.

I've noted the comments about other providers and as I feared they seem to be a motley collection. I am in no way demanding, I only get download of 1.0 to 1.5 on average but as long as it's reliable I can get by quite well - a bit like myself if it plods on and gets there in the end all well and good!!

The problems came when BT 'improved' the local exchange and a few of us found that who gained from it we don't know, but we got a lesser reliable connection out here in the sticks. So, possibly the 'improvement' was to give the existing system a tweak so that a few important customers got a better service and the minnows got worse. What I can be sure of is that nowadays I lose my internet connection about every other day for varying amounts of time, and before the 'improvements' I rarely lost it at all. C'est la vis. :)

Many thanks, Xenia. At the moment I've had success with the refresh button, but possibly there is still an underlying problem and I'm saving your helpful solution.

There is no any underlying problem with the Chrome (though the browser should not have this settings by default), or BT (I am actually shocked that theirs Helpline cold not advise you about it correctly! Muppets!).

I've read Orion's post before I posted mine.

Yes, you always can refresh the page to be able to access your Yahoo account. With my solution, when you change settings you not after do it every time. Saying that, when you wil change this settings, you might notice that your browsing might slow down a bit for other websites. (it might be hardly noticeable...depending). If that is the case, then re-loading the page for your Yahoo emails, will be a better way. :-).

Edited by Xenia

There is no any underlying problem with the Chrome (though the browser should not have this settings by default), or BT (I am actually shocked that theirs Helpline cold not advise you about it correctly! Muppets!).

I've read Orion's post before I posted mine.

Yes, you always can refresh the page to be able to access your Yahoo account. With my solution, when you change settings you not after do it every time. Saying that, when you wil change this settings, you might notice that your browsing might slow down a bit for other websites. (it might be hardly noticeable...depending). If that is the case, then re-loading the page for your Yahoo emails, will be a better way. :-).

Btw Xenia, my internet connection is so slow and uncertain these days (I get disconnected about once a day, and my speed is sometimes down to 0.25) that the refresh button would do well to slow it down any further. :lol: Believe it or not, it all went haywire within days of them upgrading the local telephone exchange. :lol: In other words, in my case upgrading equates to screwing up the service. Muppets they truly are and I may be stuck with them until I can sell up and get a place nearer to civilisation. I love the countryside but unfortunately it gets short changed in so many ways that in the end most people of my age move into towns and cities simply because they get fed up of services of any kind being second best. Still that's my moan for the day, and I must admit the dawn chorus this morning was such that having opened my window I got back into bed to lay there quietly and listen. :D