Vin DaLoo

Archbishop of York supports Strict Liability

95 posts in this topic

Writing in today's Sunday Times, the Archbishop of York, Dr. John Sentamu, argues the case for the Strict liability Clause in the Policing and Crime Bill.

To support his argument he seems to be trotting out the same old discredited figures from the Poppy Project, eg

Four out of the five women working in London brothels are estimated to be foreign nationals

Writing in today's Sunday Times, the Archbishop of York, Dr. John Sentamu, argues the case for the Strict liability Clause in the Policing and Crime Bill.

To support his argument he seems to be trotting out the same old discredited figures from the Poppy Project, eg

I do wish the god-botherers would put their own house in order before pronouncing on other people's morality :)

I wonder whether the police are aware of this.

What a litany of dubious and discredited figures.......... but, there again, what can one expect....... I guess that he also believes that the world was created in 7 days.

I guess that he also believes that the world was created in 7 days.

I thought it was only 6, and the 7th was used for kipping? still I suppose that's inflation for you.

when i studied religious beliefs at school out teacher told us the seven day thing wasn`t meant to be taken literally and that a "day" may be construed as being a term for a longer indeterminate length of time. what a load of BS... just the kind of elasticity religious folk use to get around direct questions requiring definitive answers. as stephen fry once said, "religion, i shit it".

he`s usually so erudite too :)

i have to say though, thanks to mr.canterbury for saying a few truths in st.pauls regarding iraq.

i have to say though, thanks to mr.canterbury for saying a few truths in st.pauls regarding iraq.

What, that is was the Devil's work? :)

And if Saddam and his psychopath sons had remained in power, sitting on the world's third biggest oil reserves, so that when the oil starts running out big-time, and China starts paying top-dollar to get their hands on it - maybe even paying for it in hi-tech weaponry - well, at least we could turn to our Bibles for comfort when the missiles containing biological weapons come raining down, and console ourselves that no-one told any lies.

A recent report, which interviewed more than 200 women who had been trafficked into prostitution, found that 90% had been physically forced or intimidated into sex or doing something sexual, while 89% reported receiving intimidation, including threats of death, beatings, increased debt, harm to their children and families or threats of re-trafficking. Indeed, at least 65 female prostitutes have been murdered in the past 18 years.

Has any one heard of or have a link to this report? Were the 200 women being trafficked in the UK or elsewhere? Even if so he is making generalisations about the whole industry based on this report.

Four out of the five women working in London brothels are estimated to be foreign nationals

Has any one heard of or have a link to this report? Were the 200 women being trafficked in the UK or elsewhere? Even if so he is making generalisations about the whole industry based on this report.

The report was called Big Brothel, done by the Poppy Project; if you Google it, or just search on here, you will find many references to it, including this one that reports the serious flaws in the research involved in compiling it.

Well with the policing and crime bill being debated in the lords again this week, maybe the government are getting worried they won't get strict liability through intact in the bill hence Dr sentamu is wading in or has been asked to wade in to frighten the dissenters with the old lies.

What a litany of dubious and discredited figures.......... but, there again, what can one expect....... I guess that he also believes that the world was created in 7 days.

No, I don't think he's a Creationist.

I so enjoy it when I read of the C of E ripping itself apart over the issue of homosexuality (the liberal wing think it's OK, if not actually compulsory as yet, whereas the Africans think the Sodomites are all going to hell). I will enjoy it even more in the future.

It is a real shame that someone who I thought was one of the more intelligent and balanced clerics, Dr John Sentamu, would be so idiotic as to preach a sermon based upon falsehoods.

I wonder which side he would have been on in Jesus' time? You can just hear him now.............

"Look here Jesus, that Magdalene is a disease raddled whore, I have had this on good authority from the "CokeSeed" project which is funded by those unbiased blokes, the Phariseeic Council. They are brought in by the thousand from a place called Albion in roman galleys and although we have not actually found any, Magdalene admits to being a prostitute and so must be one of them!!"

"oh, and you know what you said your Dad thinks about me and my mates taking it up the quaire place? Well, it doesn't make us bad people you know, honest!"

I do wish the god-botherers would put their own house in order before pronouncing on other people's morality :)

pity, i always had a grudging respect for the archbishop of york, especially for his stand on Zimbabwe. Remember, he was the one who cut up his dog collar on andrew marrs show, saying he wont wear one again till regime change.

but talking sense on one subject does not stop one talking complete crap on another!

From his tenure as Bishop of Birmingham, Sentamu has a great deal of credibility as far as I'm concerned, and unlike Harman et al can be an inspiring speaker (and that from an non-believer). However, I have to concur with Ghengis:

It is a real shame that someone who I thought was one of the more intelligent and balanced clerics, Dr John Sentamu, would be so idiotic as to preach a sermon based upon falsehoods.

Incidentally, he was interviewed on the Sunday programme on Radio 4 this morning. From memory, he referred to his experience as Bishop of Stepney and related how efforts to get girls off the street were stymied by the fact they were mostly pimped although he also argued that sex shouldn't be made into a commodity as ultimately in his view it was an expression of love, so he's coming from a completely different position to the rad fems.

B

pity, i always had a grudging respect for the archbishop of york, especially for his stand on Zimbabwe. Remember, he was the one who cut up his dog collar on andrew marrs show, saying he wont wear one again till regime change but talking sense on one subject does not stop one talking complete crap on another!

Same here!

when i studied religious beliefs at school out teacher told us the seven day thing wasn`t meant to be taken literally and that a "day" may be construed as being a term for a longer indeterminate length of time.

Methinks Poppy, HH et al., apply the same novel mathematical prinicples to the counting of prostitutes in general and trafficked ones in particular.

when i studied religious beliefs at school out teacher told us the seven day thing wasn`t meant to be taken literally and that a "day" may be construed as being a term for a longer indeterminate length of time.

I bet that teacher got a big surprise when his boss said "Yes I know we've paid you for a day's work but we didn't mean you to take it literally. Where your employment contract says "A day" that is obviously a term for a longer indeterminate period of time. So shut up moaning and get back in that classroom."

"Four out of the five women working in London brothels are estimated to be foreign nationals". In any other context wouldn't that be racist?

Try going for a meal in London and four out of five waiters- at the very least- will be foreign nationals. What relevance has that got to anything?

The report was called Big Brothel, done by the Poppy Project; if you Google it, or just search on here, you will find many references to it, including this one that reports the serious flaws in the research involved in compiling it.

Thanks for that. Just as I thought, the Archbishop does not have a solid base to form his opinions from, and he's opinionating from religious prejudice rather than fact.

Shame, I had expected better form the CoE.

I would expect Clergy and church to be at least receptive to reason.

There are numerous examples of dubious women who played a role in both old and new testament.

Rahab of Jericho.

Bathsheba (misstress of David)

Jesus was not afraid to talk to prostitutes (John 4:1-26)

There is even speculation that Mary Magdalena was on the game.

Clergy (higher clergy at least) is generally moderately intelligent, if not outright clever, and quite well informed about society (well, they were, when I was younger, maybe I was lucky).

So... Is anyone reacting to this ? IUSW ?

Maybe Sentamu is plotting a coup - overthrow Rowan Williams and HH will guarantee him the Canterbury gig...? :)

I thought it was only 6, and the 7th was used for kipping? still I suppose that's inflation for you.

Not for kipping, he "took satisfaction in his work" that would be from Adam he took satisfaction from because of cause Eve didn't exist at that point.

So he's not above breaking the the eigth commandant against bearing false witness.

"Shame, I had expected better form the CoE.

I would expect Clergy and church to be at least receptive to reason."

So you missed Dawkins last night!

Canterbury positively squirming around the inconveniences of science

Unfortunately Poppycock seem to be winning the propaganda war