Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
map1984

Condom Question (can I Still Catch..)

9 posts in this topic

Hi, I guess i've been naive and assumed a condom protects me against everything (except lice), but now i've realised I can still catch herpes. Is this common? Do lots of people (punters or wg's) here have it?

I was planning to have my first punt, and thought it'll be really safe as all i'm after is straight forward intercourse with a condom (and maybe oral with protection) but i'm worried now that it comes with a notable risk of disease.

If herpes is so common as I'm told it is then it's pretty much a sure fire thing that the wg will have it and therefore i'll get it too, right?

Thanks for any advice,

M.

Herpes simplex HSV-1 can be transmitted even with barrier protection. Kissing/saliva can transmit it, some sources claim 50% of the population has HSV-1 which is the kind that gives you cold sores and mouth ulcers (not genital herpes).

Unfortunately its the risk you take in this business.

Unfortunately its the risk you take in this business.

You could go further and say it is the risk you take having sex (protected) with anyone, WG or not, especially with HSV, which can be asymptomatic.

I'm a bit horrified, so just to clarify i could already have it anyway just from sex, or even from sharing a drink with a friend or kissing someone?

I'm really confused about the symptoms, so if you get or have HSV2 you definatley don't get cold sores on your lips, but HSV1 you might?

OWO is a significant risk for Herpes (HSV) (oral to genital infection) - don't do it. Condoms offer a lot of protection (nothing is 100%). Herpes is incurable, painful and can ruin your normal relationships (present and future) - why risk it? HPV is a cancer risk but there are vaccines for that.

People who say herpes is a risk you have to accept, probably already have it and are trying to justify their continued unacceptable behaviour which puts others at risk. They don't want WGs to stop doing OWO because they no longer have to care about herpes. That won't happen - there will always be those who offer unsafe practices - the myth that OWO is safe is rubbish.

Regarding herpes:

Do WG's get offered testing for this?

Is it true that is more widespread in the USA/Canada than the UK?

(I am interested in seeing an American WG).