kenobi

Cassette player with Line out?

21 posts in this topic

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a simple inexpensive cassette player with a mono output and line out please?

Thanks again to all those who replied to my *.wav thread.

K

Why do you want one? Are you wanting to just listen to your cassettes through a pc or to transfer cassette content to cd?

Maybe I'm wide off the mark, but this is quite interesting.

Thanks Tarq, I'll check out the video.

I'm trying to make a digital recording of zx spectrum computer code audio. I got the speccy to recognise an mp3 I made as code but keep having the dreaded "R tape loading error" :) I realised the problem was that I was using mp3 compression which works by deletion apparently, and so I've now got a *.wav recorder. The thing is that the only cassette output I've got is headphone which isn't great for sound quality, too high or low (I forget which). The spectrum needs mono, so that's a must.

When I've got the kit with the right quality output I'll make an mp3 and a wav and try loading each one into the zx.

Yes, I know it's verrrrry geeky :D but it's a simple nostalgic project and I don't want to use the original cassette too often as it's about 25 years old (it's Elite by the way) and will wear out eventually.

That will teach me to try and help! Don't know what the answer is, sorry. I understand your concern regarding the cassette tape though.

Thanks Tarq, I'll check out the video.

I'm trying to make a digital recording of zx spectrum computer code audio. I got the speccy to recognise an mp3 I made as code but keep having the dreaded "R tape loading error" :) I realised the problem was that I was using mp3 compression which works by deletion apparently, and so I've now got a *.wav recorder. The thing is that the only cassette output I've got is headphone which isn't great for sound quality, too high or low (I forget which). The spectrum needs mono, so that's a must.

When I've got the kit with the right quality output I'll make an mp3 and a wav and try loading each one into the zx.

Yes, I know it's verrrrry geeky :D but it's a simple nostalgic project and I don't want to use the original cassette too often as it's about 25 years old (it's Elite by the way) and will wear out eventually.

Is this any use?

Is this any use?

When I read your other post properly I realised it probably isn't any use for what you're trying to achieve. Presumably you're already aware that there're a number of spectrum emulators available.

When I read your other post properly I realised it probably isn't any use for what you're trying to achieve. Presumably you're already aware that there're a number of spectrum emulators available.

5 minutes for editing is a very short time when you've got loads to type...

Are you trying to make a copy of your original tape using the mp3/wav as an intermediate stage? If the mp3 copy you currently have is up to scratch you could connect the output of the sound card in your PC to the input on the speccy? Or is that what you're already trying?

What are you using to create the mp3 copy? Can you increase the bit rate or select a different encoding format?

Have I got the wrong end of the stick?

5 minutes for editing is a very short time when you've got loads to type...

Are you trying to make a copy of your original tape using the mp3/wav as an intermediate stage? If the mp3 copy you currently have is up to scratch you could connect the output of the sound card in your PC to the input on the speccy? Or is that what you're already trying?

What are you using to create the mp3 copy? Can you increase the bit rate or select a different encoding format?

Have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Thanks for your wisdom Solomon :)

I've used emulators and the excellent World of Spectrum website.

What I want to do is create a workable digital copy of the audio so I can play from either my 'phone or ipod into the speccy.

Like I say, I've got the speccy to recognise the mp3 as programming language but it always cuts out partway through, presumably because the mp3 has missed something vital (being too compressed) or of the wrong quality - maybe either the volume's wrong or it's not mono.

Anyway, I'm using Step Voice Recorder which I've found to be excellent in the past. I think if I get the right outputs, volume and quality it will work.

It sounds like I've nothing more useful to do :D but this really is just a small rainy day project.

That will teach me to try and help! Don't know what the answer is, sorry. I understand your concern regarding the cassette tape though.

Very kind of you to take the time to answer my question though, so thanks :)

Thanks for your wisdom Solomon :)

I've used emulators and the excellent World of Spectrum website.

What I want to do is create a workable digital copy of the audio so I can play from either my 'phone or ipod into the speccy.

Like I say, I've got the speccy to recognise the mp3 as programming language but it always cuts out partway through, presumably because the mp3 has missed something vital (being too compressed) or of the wrong quality - maybe either the volume's wrong or it's not mono.

Anyway, I'm using Step Voice Recorder which I've found to be excellent in the past. I think if I get the right outputs, volume and quality it will work.

It sounds like I've nothing more useful to do :D but this really is just a small rainy day project.

I get what you're trying to do now - I think you're right about the key being getting the volume and quality right. I'd be surprised if mono was an issue but I suppose it's not impossible.

I get what you're trying to do now - I think you're right about the key being getting the volume and quality right. I'd be surprised if mono was an issue but I suppose it's not impossible.

From memory, back in the '80s stereo cassette players were far and away the most common reason for games failing to load.

B

Super game, that Elite!

Did you try using a dictophone?

Super game, that Elite!

Ooh I missed that further up. One of my all time favourite games... on the BBC Micro that is, disk version natch. The other versions sucked. :P

B

Super game, that Elite!

Did you try using a dictophone?

No, I prefer to use my finger ha ha lol :P:D:D sorry!

Thanks MM, it sure is a super game x

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a simple inexpensive cassette player with a mono output and line out please?

Thanks again to all those who replied to my *.wav thread.

K

Rather than a proper tape player, could you make do with an old walkman and use a stereo to mono jack if required? Sorry I haven;t got any recommendation on a purchase - they do seem more expensive than they ever were in the past - but there a good chance you or somebody you know already has one stuffed in a drawer somewhere.

Rather than a proper tape player, could you make do with an old walkman and use a stereo to mono jack if required? Sorry I haven;t got any recommendation on a purchase - they do seem more expensive than they ever were in the past - but there a good chance you or somebody you know already has one stuffed in a drawer somewhere.

This prolly won't work, or at least didn't back in the day. The stereo heads often wouldn't read the mono signal on the tape properly.

B

That's great. Thanks Galahad and everyone else. :confused:

Why do you want one? Are you wanting to just listen to your cassettes through a pc or to transfer cassette content to cd?

Maybe I'm wide off the mark, but this is quite interesting.

Darn it that IS interesting but comes just a fortnight after I threw out a bag of audio leads etc that I thought I would never need again...

But thanks anyway.