Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
down

What Happens At A Gum Clinic?

15 posts in this topic

That depends on why you tell them you're there. If you've just gone for a check-up you'll probably be offered a wider range of tests than if you've gone because you've got some specific symptoms (although maybe not - perhaps if you've got symptoms of one STD they'll want to check for others anyway).

You'll generally have your tackle examined, be offered blood tests, asked to give a urine sample and maybe have swabs taken from your throat, inside your urethra and your anus, depending on what you tell them you've been up to.

Of course, they're not going to hold you down and force any of these tests on you, so if you're particluarly sqeamish about blood test or having a stick stuck in the tip of your cock you can always say not to some of the tests - although that sort of defeats the purpose of going there.

I assume you mean to say what happens if you made an appointment to see someone for a check-up at a GUM clinic?

I've been to one once, and I assume my local one has a "typical" set up that is the same across the country. The reception is actually enclosed, and there is one for men one for women. You go in, give your details and then go to the waiting room. Again, these are separated.

You'll then be asked in to see the nurse who'll ask you afew questions related to your recent sex life, and then why you are here. You'll be inspected appropriately, and diagnosed if there's anything obviously wrong, and then asked for a urine sample if you want to take one, then they get back to you within a week with the results via text.

Go and find out for yourself! It's good for you.

Good one Lara.

All the guys here should take themselves to the GUM clinic on a regular basis - even if they practice 100% safe sex i.e. oral with condom, penetration with condom, anal with condom and cover any fingers with a glove that explores any of the openings.

Oh well we just killed nearly all the good sensations - but that is what the world has come in this enlightened sexual age!

Enjoy your sex, take reasonable precautions and test regularly!

have fun and enjoy

I assume you mean to say what happens if you made an appointment to see someone for a check-up at a GUM clinic?

The reception ..... there is one for men one for women. You go in, give your details and then go to the waiting room. Again, these are separated.

You'll then be asked in to see the nurse who'll ask you afew questions related to your recent sex life, and then why you are here. You'll be inspected appropriately, and diagnosed if there's anything obviously wrong, and then asked for a urine sample if you want to take one, then they get back to you within a week with the results via text.

In more than one London clinic the genders are not separated.

There is always a urine sample, as a visual inspection cannot give an accurate diagnosis. You should avoid urinating for 2-3 hours before the clinic visit.

You will probably have a urethral swab, which hurts for a moment.

You will probably be given the results of the urine test while you wait. In my usual clinic the practice is that if the other tests are negative they do not contact you, so after a couple of weeks you can assume you are clear. You can opt to go in to the clinic for the test results.

Of course, they're not going to hold you down and force any of these tests on you, so if you're particluarly sqeamish about blood test or having a stick stuck in the tip of your cock you can always say not to some of the tests - although that sort of defeats the purpose of going there.

If you are squeamish about some one else putting a cotton tip down your urethra there are a lot of places that let you self swab these days.

Edited by MySecretLife

I've been to one once, and I assume my local one has a "typical" set up that is the same across the country. The reception is actually enclosed, and there is one for men one for women. You go in, give your details and then go to the waiting room. Again, these are separated.

I think it varies! My local is one evening a week, and has one, wide open reception, and I thought I recognised one of the receptionists, but she either didn't or was discreet enough not to recognise me. Called in, and saw dazzling milf, who poked and prodded - sent off with plastic cup, but quite unable to pee, so sent home with plastic bottle and postage paid envelope. The great thing is the absolute absence of any form of judgment or comment.

then they get back to you within a week with the results via text.

So you don't have to go back for the results - what happens if you are positive for one of the STIs, I don't know - probably a "Please ring 012345 6789123 and quote AB123"...

On the plus side they help you as much as they can with thorough checks but on the negative side some of the information they give out can be misguided.

On the plus side they help you as much as they can with thorough checks but on the negative side some of the information they give out can be misguided.

Misguided how? Like inaccurate? I'd be very surprised at that.

Yes unfortunately they do say stupid things, well in Colchester & Ipswich anyway, of course I can't speak for the whole country. A WG friend of mine said that they tried to down play HIV to her on one occasion & I was told that I'd be more likely to contract STIs in my personal life than in my working life. :unsure: I actually had to tell my local clinic where to buy cheap condoms from & Dams. I've been using the GUM clinics for years but they've never once mentioned dams to me, Femidoms yes, but I've never been given dams.

Yes unfortunately they do say stupid things, well in Colchester & Ipswich anyway, of course I can't speak for the whole country. A WG friend of mine said that they tried to down play HIV to her on one occasion & I was told that I'd be more likely to contract STIs in my personal life than in my working life. :unsure: I actually had to tell my local clinic where to buy cheap condoms from & Dams. I've been using the GUM clinics for years but they've never once mentioned dams to me, Femidoms yes, but I've never been given dams.

Very strange. I go to a sex worker GUM and the advice they've given me has generally been great (especially the nurses).

My local gum had open waiting room but never crowded. They don't stick a cue tip down your japs eye these days, just urine sample and blood sample. So make sure you don't pee before you go. Best to be honest and tell them you punt Recommended me HepB vaccine.

Do they check your FACE?? If you ask them too?

just as I had alot of facesitting and dont know if its worth going down and asking if they would check my face or wonder how they would react if asked?

I'm sure they'll check whatever is appropriate, once you tell them your history.

Last time I was at a clinic I was pleasantly surprised that all the doctors and nurses present were actually very attractive girls. :) If it hadn't been for the rather dismal circumstances in which I found myself attending I would have been quite happy with them manhandling my bits as much as they liked! :D LOL.

Ouch, that swap stung a bit though. :eek: