pathsofdarkness

Will The 72hr Tube Strike Affect Where You Punt Next Week? (london)

32 posts in this topic

According to TFL, only the Northern, Piccadilly, and Jubilee lines are affected from 4pm Tuesday 24 till 4pm Friday 27 April.

If this affects you, and you still want to punt, will you still head over to your favourite WG(s) or try some place which is closer to you with someone different?

I've cancelled a booking I had made but thinking about it this is a good opportunity to try someone new a little closer to home :D

I'm lucky: not affected.

But am I the only one to think : No respect to RMT

Strikes on services like that are near criminal : holding public + city to ransom.

so low.

Seem we return to the 70s.. we know how that ended...

According to TFL, only the Northern, Piccadilly, and Jubilee lines are affected from 4pm Tuesday 24 till 4pm Friday 27 April. If this affects you, and you still want to punt, will you still head over to your favourite WG(s) or try some place which is closer to you with someone different? I've cancelled a booking I had made but thinking about it this is a good opportunity to try someone new a little closer to home :D

I virtually always drive so it wont affect me fortunately, i tried public transport once and didnt like it so thats a never again.

I am sure that most of us who travel on the tube everyday are, like me, so exhausted by the experience that any punting is saved for the weekends ( for me Sunday p.m. I have just about recovered from the week before and it is a pleasant diversion before Monday morning.)

.... i tried public transport once and didnt like it so thats a never again.

I know the feeling. :D :D

I punt at the weekend but TFL tends to try its best to screw that up too as i live out east, messing around with the DLR or the Jubilee almost every week. This weekend its the marathon more hassle, never mind the upcoming Olympics infringing on my human rights, aaarrrgghhh.

I'm finally back in London next week after travelling between Westminster and North Wales many times over this last month. I had booked two different ladies for next week in advance because they had great reviews and are touring that week.

Unfortunately for me I have had to cancel both bookings because the tube strike going ahead means I have to go into our office for work related reasons and that means it will conflict with the times I had been given by the ladies. Usually I love going into work for this kind of thing because it's a lot of fun in terms of what I do (I'm a research analyst) but missing out on my bookings has made that joy taste somewhat sour. :(

According to TFL, only the Northern, Piccadilly, and Jubilee lines are affected from 4pm Tuesday 24 till 4pm Friday 27 April.

If this affects you, and you still want to punt, will you still head over to your favourite WG(s) or try some place which is closer to you with someone different?

I've cancelled a booking I had made but thinking about it this is a good opportunity to try someone new a little closer to home :D

I'm scaling back my hobby for a while, but I do have a long-standing appointment with a lady next week, which happens to fall on the... Monday! :)

The majority of the UK didn't know there was a strike planned and doesn't give a shit because they live in far nicer parts of the country. ^_^

The majority of the UK didn't know there was a strike planned and doesn't give a shit because they live in far nicer parts of the country. ^_^

As if anybody in London could give a f*ck what you think!

Back to the suject matter, strikes have never stopped me and never will.

Well you should because the transfer payments to the rest of the country which fund your schools, hospitals and benefits are largely made by the taxes generated by the London economy. If London declared itself unilaterally independent, the rest of the country would make Greece look like a thriving modern economy! If you're tired of London, you're tired of life!!

Smiths - do you even come into central london by car??

Well you should because the transfer payments to the rest of the country which fund your schools, hospitals and benefits are largely made by the taxes generated by the London economy. If London declared itself unilaterally independent, the rest of the country would make Greece look like a thriving modern economy! If you're tired of London, you're tired of life!! Smiths - do you even come into central london by car??

I certainly have on numerous occassions driving myself, getting a mini-cab or being dropped off. I used to use Queensway car park a lot which had variable pricing from 20p to a few quid an hour and was registered for Westminsters pay by phone parking which on a Saturday i paid about 30p in all as i needed to be in the premises by 12.45pm but the parking meters werent free till 1pm.

I'm scaling back my hobby for a while, but I do have a long-standing appointment with a lady next week, which happens to fall on the... Monday! :)

sorry to hear that, I will miss your expertise on here ;)

Are these the same people that always come on here whining that they live in a punting desert as there isn't any action in smalltown?? :lol:

The strike isn't drivers or station staff unless that's changed and i didn't hear it, it's the maintenance staff so shouldn't in theory affect the day to day running....unless there's a problem that needs fixing!! Could be interesting given the reliability of the Jubilee Line then :lol:

I certainly have on numerous occassions driving myself, getting a mini-cab or being dropped off. I used to use Queensway car park a lot which had variable pricing from 20p to a few quid an hour and was registered for Westminsters pay by phone parking which on a Saturday i paid about 30p in all as i needed to be in the premises by 12.45pm but the parking meters werent free till 1pm.

Well I think you're mad - driving or being driven in central London? Imagine having a fab time at one of the Euston/Kings X/St Pancras hotels and instead of driving, having a reflective pint or two and then on the tube?

Well I think you're mad - driving or being driven in central London? Imagine having a fab time at one of the Euston/Kings X/St Pancras hotels and instead of driving, having a reflective pint or two and then on the tube?

Thanks for your opinion, clearly its one i dont share and will continue to drive which suits me. I rarely drink alcohol so that doesnt bother me.

Are these the same people that always come on here whining that they live in a punting desert as there isn't any action in smalltown?? laugh.png

The strike isn't drivers or station staff unless that's changed and i didn't hear it, it's the maintenance staff so shouldn't in theory affect the day to day running....unless there's a problem that needs fixing!! Could be interesting given the reliability of the Jubilee Line then laugh.png

I'm in Manchester, try it some time, a lot more fun and not as much a rip off hole as London.

Well you should because the transfer payments to the rest of the country which fund your schools, hospitals and benefits are largely made by the taxes generated by the London economy. If London declared itself unilaterally independent, the rest of the country would make Greece look like a thriving modern economy! If you're tired of London, you're tired of life!!

Smiths - do you even come into central london by car??

oh, thameslink upgrade, contunual extension of DLR and the croydon trams, est london line upgrade and new services, crossrail. if we had 10% of that investment in birmingham leeds and manchester it would be a miracle. London is all that maters to HMG.

pity its a dirty overcrowded miserable ripoff shithole.

Edited by Coventrypunter

oh, thameslink upgrade, contunual extension of DLR and the croydon trams, est london line upgrade and new services, crossrail. if we had 10% of that investment in birmingham leeds and manchester it would be a miracle. London is all that maters to HMG.

pity its a dirty overcrowded miserable ripoff shithole.

Plus one

A guy makes a genuine enquiry about the consequences of the Tube strike and a couple of blokes come on and make disparaging remarks about London. We dont mind paying for the rest of you and you enjoying our fine city but its difficult to take when smartarses thinks its appropriate to knock the place - nobody even asked for their opinion

Plus Cov was completely wrong in all his details. Latest details from UK National Statistics and Centre for Economic and Business research for 2011 confirms London pays 45% of its GDP in taxes (regional average 35%), London pays 20% more in tax than it receives in spending (and that includes civil service, transport etc). And that 20% contribution is more than the tax receipts elsewhere. As an example of elsewhere (Scotland is neutral because the tax from oil is credited 100% to them). The NE is -22%, Yorkshire -9% etc. And dont even think about the SW, Wales or NI. So London (and the SE) is the only region which is a net contributor to public spending rather than a net receiver. Plus only Londoners are paying for the Olympics

And anyone who lives in Manchester or coventry and calls london a miserable shithole....jeeze, have you been to Moss Side???

Simple answer, if you dont like the place, dont come

I virtually always drive so it wont affect me fortunately, i tried public transport once and didnt like it so thats a never again.

Once? Once only? I'm impressed. But what induced you to make this experiment?

I'm a cheapskate so I always use public transport in London (taxis very very rarely). And always chuckle at the memory of Mrs Thatcher's remark that any man who is still using public transport after the age of...28, was it?...knows he's a failure. I'm 60 now, so God knows what the right word for me is.

Once? Once only? I'm impressed. But what induced you to make this experiment?

I'm a cheapskate so I always use public transport in London (taxis very very rarely). And always chuckle at the memory of Mrs Thatcher's remark that any man who is still using public transport after the age of...28, was it?...knows he's a failure. I'm 60 now, so God knows what the right word for me is.

"A man who, beyond the age of 26, who finds himself on a bus can count himself as a failure". There seems to be some doubt as to whether she actually said it though.

Clearly smiths is not a failure :).

Edited by Kantos Kan

Once? Once only? I'm impressed. But what induced you to make this experiment? I'm a cheapskate so I always use public transport in London (taxis very very rarely). And always chuckle at the memory of Mrs Thatcher's remark that any man who is still using public transport after the age of...28, was it?...knows he's a failure. I'm 60 now, so God knows what the right word for me is.

Car was in for a service and i thought i would give it a go instead of getting a mini-cab or a lift. :)

A guy makes a genuine enquiry about the consequences of the Tube strike and a couple of blokes come on and make disparaging remarks about London. We dont mind paying for the rest of you and you enjoying our fine city but its difficult to take when smartarses thinks its appropriate to knock the place - nobody even asked for their opinion

Plus Cov was completely wrong in all his details. Latest details from UK National Statistics and Centre for Economic and Business research for 2011 confirms London pays 45% of its GDP in taxes (regional average 35%), London pays 20% more in tax than it receives in spending (and that includes civil service, transport etc). And that 20% contribution is more than the tax receipts elsewhere. As an example of elsewhere (Scotland is neutral because the tax from oil is credited 100% to them). The NE is -22%, Yorkshire -9% etc. And dont even think about the SW, Wales or NI. So London (and the SE) is the only region which is a net contributor to public spending rather than a net receiver. Plus only Londoners are paying for the Olympics

And anyone who lives in Manchester or coventry and calls london a miserable shithole....jeeze, have you been to Moss Side???

Simple answer, if you dont like the place, dont come

A bit sensitive are we? Methinks thou dost protest too much!....

Well, I was thinking of heading over to Streatham for a bit of rumpy-pumpy this week, but the tube strike has put me off. It's the knock-on effect on the rest of the transport system that bothers me. I just can't take the stress these days!