Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
richardhead

Half Of Trafficked Sex Workers Are Chinese

61 posts in this topic

So says this Sky News report

"
Half of all women trafficked into the UK and forced to work in the sex industry are Chinese, according to senior police officers.

Research found 17,000 of the 30,000 women involved in the off-street sex trade are migrants, including many from China, Thailand and Eastern Europe.
"

I can believe the second paragraph but not the first. I can believe that half off-street sex workers are migrants. I can believe that most of these will be Eastern Europeans (who can come here legally). I know that there are some Thais (and some South Americans). But where are all these Chinese women?

In Soho there are no Chinese women working as prostitutes. Most are Eastern Europeans and a few are Thais. In the Chinese medical centres it is possible to get a massage from a Chinese woman but most of them don't do anything sexual. If you want to have a massage which ends in a handjob there are only a few Chinese women who will do it.

Is this an example of the police and the media distorting the truth for some reason?

No numbers are given for the number of Chinese Sexually Exploited Trafficked Women.

China & Nigeria have major problems with human trafficking, so I'm not surprised that there are lots of sexually exploited trafficked women from those countries.

Could I give any figures for "lots"? No. 1 is too many.

The problem, is no more the Sex Industry, than the Interior Design industry is to blame for women & children being trafficked into domestic slavery, or the Film Industry for the plight of the DVD sellers.

<ul>

<li>I'm afraid that you're way out about Chinese availability - there are hundreds of Chinese sex workers in London. About 90% of TCMs in London will provide a HJ, many OWO and some FS. All from Chinese girls/ladies. Also there are Chinese flats all over London providing services from B2B to FS - well advertised on Craigs, Gumtree, Viva, etc., etc. To check out the TCM and Chinese massage shop scene just walk along Shaftesbury Avenue or through Soho and China Town to see the latest offers and get the 'come into my parlour' invites.                   </li>

</ul>

"
Half of all women trafficked into the UK and forced to work in the sex industry are Chinese, according to senior police officers.

Research found 17,000 of the 30,000 women involved in the off-street sex trade are migrants, including many from China, Thailand and Eastern Europe.
"

I can believe the second paragraph but not the first. I can believe that half off-street sex workers are migrants. I can believe that most of these will be Eastern Europeans (who can come here legally). I know that there are some Thais (and some South Americans). But where are all these Chinese women?

In Soho there are no Chinese women working as prostitutes. Most are Eastern Europeans and a few are Thais. In the Chinese medical centres it is possible to get a massage from a Chinese woman but most of them don't do anything sexual. If you want to have a massage which ends in a handjob there are only a few Chinese women who will do it.

Is this an example of the police and the media distorting the truth for some reason?

This is a summary, doesn't quote any facts or figures and thus could mean anything but makes a nice story. Also Soho and London won't necessarily be representative of the country as a whole either.

Uh? Where did you get that "no Chinese prostitutes" statistic from?

There's many hundreds of Chinese ladies in Soho and throughout the country, busily earning some extra money in Chinese medical shops/ massage parlours and private flats, offering anything from HJs to FS.

I've spoken to several, and they're often employed in all sorts of normal civvie jobs like restaurants, factories, fast-food outlets, care work, shop work etc. Then, when they want to earn some extra money, they phone up a friend/ acquaintance who runs a parlour and they do some extra hours/ days.

On no-news days, the media will often scrape up a few daft statistics and waffle on about sex-slaves. But Lara makes a good point about girls being trafficked from Nigeria, though I don't think there are any reliable firgures.

Edited by Reverend Dick

Excuse the foul up in my post. Me, computers and posting here are not a happy mix. However, I did omit to say that extensive and detailed discussion of sexual services offered in the Chinese shops and medical centres was a main reason for the demise of the Massage Board. There are many superstar girls and ladies in that field just as in the FS arena.

Research found 17,000 of the 30,000 women involved in the off-street sex trade are migrants, including many from China, Thailand and Eastern Europe."

I can't believe that only 30,000 women are involved in the off-street trade. That seems very low to me.

On no-news days, the media will often scrape up a few daft statistics and waffle on about sex-slaves. But Lara makes a good point about girls being trafficked from Nigeria, though I don't think there are any reliable firgures.

Ok: this from the Poppy Project. I don't trust then, but I'm inclined to believe them re Nigerians.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/mar/19/met-police-sex-trafficking-investigations-criticised?cat=uk&type=article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2132524/Couples-legal-battle-adopt-year-old-girl-Nigerian-fraudsters-convinced-miraculously-conceived.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

http://www.afrucanigeria.org/images/Child%20Domestic%20Slavery.doc

"

"

I have no faith in so called facts and figures regarding trafficking or prostitution. Operation Pentameters 1 and 2 didnt find the 4000 women that Harriet Harridan was basing her bill on, it found around 10% of that so thats 10% too many of course but shows you cant trust people to be honest. Much of the media have an anti-prostitution agenda fuelled by feminazis.

Also how do you define Trafficking, is it women being forced to work as WGs against their wills or does it also include women voluntary agreeing to be bonded and work that bond off by working as WGs. In my opinion both are abhorrent and wholly wrong as well as being illegal but the former is worse than the latter. If i had an inkling i was meeting such a WG i would leave and call Crimestoppers anonymously, fortunately i have never had an inkling so never knowingly punted with such a woman.

Excuse the foul up in my post. Me, computers and posting here are not a happy mix. However, I did omit to say that extensive and detailed discussion of sexual services offered in the Chinese shops and medical centres was a main reason for the demise of the Massage Board. There are many superstar girls and ladies in that field just as in the FS arena.

Speaking as somebody who never read the massage forum, why was it closed? I'm not being funny but why is discussing sexual services considered out of place on punternet?

Ok: this from the Poppy Project. I don't trust then, but I'm inclined to believe them re Nigerians.

Why?

Why?

Forgive me for repeating myself:

1) Nigeria has problems with slavery. Slavery facilitates / can include sexual exploitation.

2) Nigerians are trafficked into all sorts of slavery, including sexual slavery.

3) I fully believe that the majority of the Nigerians self-referred.

That can be said for a number of countries....

The world is a f**ked up place for those who have been sold broken promises, had dreams shattered and worst still for those who had no choice...

Pentameter 2 didn't find any women forced into sex work.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/oct/20/government-trafficking-enquiry-fails?INTCMP=SRCH

Trafficking undoubtedly goes on, but given how poor the police are ( or certainly were under the last administration, given the political pressuring by the Harmans/McShane types ) , it's all the more important that we the public report it when we suspect it.

Forgive me for repeating myself:

1) Nigeria has problems with slavery. Slavery facilitates / can include sexual exploitation.

2) Nigerians are trafficked into all sorts of slavery, including sexual slavery.

3) I fully believe that the majority of the Nigerians self-referred.

Where is the proof though, not saying its correct or incorrect, i dont know either way. The Poppy Project has past form for making figures up and going along with Harriet Harridans crusade, i wouldnt trust them to do up my shoelaces. Operation Pentameters 1 and 2 was the only proof that i believe with the police actually looking for trafficked women. The rest are guesses or agendas at work. ACPO were using figures of 2,600 trafficked women a while back, again no proof to back this figure up in the form of arrests, prosecutions or convictions.

We sadly read about the odd case on here from time to time, if its that widespread to involve 2,600 women like ACPO say why being the police arent they charging and presenting cases that result in convictions to back-up this figure. They cant because they cant prove it just as HH, the Poppy Project, the media and the feminazis cant. I wonder why. Its a very serious offence, when i see wholesale convictions that justify figures like 2,600 women which might or might not be correct in reality i will then believe it, not before and certainly not take the word of these organisations, the government or the media.

Pentameter 2 didn't find any women forced into sex work. http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/oct/20/government-trafficking-enquiry-fails?INTCMP=SRCH Trafficking undoubtedly goes on, but given how poor the police are ( or certainly were under the last administration, given the political pressuring by the Harmans/McShane types ) , it's all the more important that we the public report it when we suspect it.

Interesting link, assuming its factual it just shows what the police could find. I would say i recall reading a thread on the Legalities board that did have a link to Operation Pentameter 2 rescuing some women but perhaps this article was wriiten after the truth had been established. In both Operations around 400 women were rescued if i recall from the links given at the time. :)

if its that widespread to involve 2,600 women like ACPO say why being the police arent they charging and presenting cases that result in convictions to back-up this figure

Have to agree with smiths here that the numbers given smell of the ol' Cap'n from Grimsby.

A small organisation ( relative to the Police & CPS ) called Capita prosecute around 130,000 TV licence evasion offences per year or so I've read, ot of an estmated 2 million. At those ratios, the CPS should be prosecuting around 180 sex-trafficking offences a year, out of the estimated 2600. Ok, so this is comparing apples to oranges, and maybe it's easier to agree to deport than prosecute and so some cases don't get publicised, but the numbers of victims quoted versus the efforts of the police to proescute, smells fishy.

"

"

The Sky News report is dated 18 October 2010 and relates to Project Acumen. I believe this to be the most genuine effort by the Police to date to arrive at realistic statistics. However, questions were raised, but not answered, about the integrity of the sampling process. In particular, was there any bias in the selection of the parlours for inclusion in the exercise and was London given excessive weighting in the national results. Some regions did not submit any data for analysis so their situation was "assumed" to be in line with others. There was a detailed discussion on Punternet at the time which is probably on the Legal and Legislation Board.

Where is the proof though, not saying its correct or incorrect, i dont know either way. The Poppy Project has past form for making figures up and going along with Harriet Harridans crusade, i wouldnt trust them to do up my shoelaces. Operation Pentameters 1 and 2 was the only proof that i believe with the police actually looking for trafficked women. The rest are guesses or agendas at work. ACPO were using figures of 2,600 trafficked women a while back, again no proof to back this figure up in the form of arrests, prosecutions or convictions.

My three statements are all true & I have supported them.

The numbers & arrest figures are sketchy, but I said 1 case is too many. Spain & Italy have a lot of data too.

My freedom is compromised by any WG being deprived of her autonomy or forced into this.

My three statements are all true & I have supported them. The numbers & arrest figures are sketchy, but I said 1 case is too many. Spain & Italy have a lot of data too. My freedom is compromised by any WG being deprived of her autonomy or forced into this.

I didnt say you hadnt if you read my post. One case is one too many i agree and i posted similar and have consistently over a long time on here. My point was i require proof not media, government or organisational hearsay knowing they have all used unproven figures in the past and thus i dont just trust their word for it.

I didnt say you hadnt if you read my post. One case is one too many i agree and i posted similar and have consistently over a long time on here. My point was i require proof not media, government or organisational hearsay knowing they have all used unproven figures in the past and thus i dont just trust their word for it.

i knew a few girls that have been trafficked while working in parlours. knowing people personally definitely beats anything in the media. and it's all the proof i need. i don't need stats when i've seen it in real life.

i would just like to add that most girls that have been trafficked will not go to the police...ever, which is why they can be so hard to find. there are many reasons for that. one of the reasons is that foreign girls don't believe the police here will actually help them because they are used to police in their own country being corrupt. some of them fear revenge from their traffickers....because they are often family friends that have tricked them into coming here, and know where they live back in their home country, and could easily hurt their families.

even with domestic trafficking (yes, it happens within this country too) the victims rarely go to the police. and i speak from personal experience here....it mainly happens with british girls that are under 18. there are a lot of children working against their will on the streets and in people's homes in this country. and going to the police is often not an option when you are in fear of your life, and have no proof for the police. sexual assault conviction rates are very low because you need a lot of proof for them to be taken to court. so most people don't bother reporting. including myself. i'm sorry if this is not what you want to hear....i find it impossible to remain silent when this subject comes up.

i knew a few girls that have been trafficked while working in parlours. knowing people personally definitely beats anything in the media. and it's all the proof i need. i don't need stats when i've seen it in real life.

i would just like to add that most girls that have been trafficked will not go to the police...ever, which is why they can be so hard to find. there are many reasons for that. one of the reasons is that foreign girls don't believe the police here will actually help them because they are used to police in their own country being corrupt. some of them fear revenge from their traffickers....because they are often family friends that have tricked them into coming here, and know where they live back in their home country, and could easily hurt their families.

even with domestic trafficking (yes, it happens within this country too) the victims rarely go to the police. and i speak from personal experience here....it mainly happens with british girls that are under 18. there are a lot of children working against their will on the streets and in people's homes in this country. and going to the police is often not an option when you are in fear of your life, and have no proof for the police. sexual assault conviction rates are very low because you need a lot of proof for them to be taken to court. so most people don't bother reporting. including myself. i'm sorry if this is not what you want to hear....i find it impossible to remain silent when this subject comes up.

This doesn't surprise me at all, remember 'statistics' are always going to be limited especially in extremely sensitive areas such as this. Someone who is trafficked is hidden from the authorities and almost definitely fed tales of how the police simply wouldn't believe them if they did manage to escape.

Crimes of all sorts go unreported every day, of those which are many don't result in a conviction anyway.

Edited by Strawberry

I think this comes down to smiths comment about how we define 'trafficking'. Clearly many girls are keen to come to the UK and work here as wgs because of the huge financial incentives. Why stay in your own country and earn the equivalent of £5 or £10 per customer, when you can earn 10 or 20 times that in the UK? And benefit from excellent health care, mostly considerate clients, and enjoy living in an affluent western country.

If I thought a girl had been tricked/ coerced/ threatened in order for her to work in the sex industry in the UK, I would get as much info as possible and phone crime-stoppers.

I hope in future Nisha, you will do the same, rather than not "bothering" to report such instances.

Girls being forced into this work is similar to rape, in my view, and needs to be treated as such.

Fortunately, the inability of the police to find many 'trafficked' ladies suggests there maybe far fewer than the Daily Mail would have the public believe.

I think this comes down to smiths comment about how we define 'trafficking'. Clearly many girls are keen to come to the UK and work here as wgs because of the huge financial incentives. Why stay in your own country and earn the equivalent of £5 or £10 per customer, when you can earn 10 or 20 times that in the UK? And benefit from excellent health care, mostly considerate clients, and enjoy living in an affluent western country.

If I thought a girl had been tricked/ coerced/ threatened in order for her to work in the sex industry in the UK, I would get as much info as possible and phone crime-stoppers.

I hope in future Nisha, you will do the same, rather than not "bothering" to report such instances.

Girls being forced into this work is similar to rape, in my view, and needs to be treated as such.

Fortunately, the inability of the police to find many 'trafficked' ladies suggests there maybe far fewer than the Daily Mail would have the public believe.

i have helped a girl escape her trafficker before. and no, i couldn't report the guy to the police, because i did not know him. he was her 'boyfriend' apparently, and brought her over here. it wasn't until she'd been working for a while that she realized she needed to leave him. i offered her my flat until she was able to find other accommodation. i know you don't want to believe it....because it's painful. it's painful that this stuff exists, and it's much easier to stick one's head in the sand.

yes, many come here willinging, but many also do not.

when i said i haven't bothered to report....i meant my own abusers. it is my decision whether or not to report...so please don't think you have any right to tell me what i should or shouldn't have done. it was also a long time ago now, and i'm wanting to move on.

and yes i agree very much with this. if you did a little research you would find out that rape is incredibly under reported too. for pretty much the same reasons. Edited by nisha87