AdorableAmy

Disappearing Tv Channels: Anybody Else?

15 posts in this topic

I'm not sure whether this would have been better in Off Topic, but I've just put the TV on and my ITV/Channel 4 stations all seem to have gone off (No Signal message) - I tried retuning it and now they've vanished altogether although the BBC ones all seem OK.

I'm really posting to see if this is affecting anybody else in the Yorkshire/N Yorks area so I can try and figure out whether it's a transmitter thing or something to do with the TV or the aerial (and I live in a large block with no access to the aerial which means having to get someone out, although it can wait until after Bank Holiday and I'll just have to miss the X Files film later on).

C4, More4, FilmFour, E4 and the rest have all gone along with all the ITV ones, not that I would have noticed.

check this site. seem to be the tv reception for anaoraks site, but is very informative

http://www.ukfree.tv/

I'm not sure whether this would have been better in Off Topic, but I've just put the TV on and my ITV/Channel 4 stations all seem to have gone off (No Signal message) - I tried retuning it and now they've vanished altogether although the BBC ones all seem OK.

I'm really posting to see if this is affecting anybody else in the Yorkshire/N Yorks area so I can try and figure out whether it's a transmitter thing or something to do with the TV or the aerial (and I live in a large block with no access to the aerial which means having to get someone out, although it can wait until after Bank Holiday and I'll just have to miss the X Files film later on).

C4, More4, FilmFour, E4 and the rest have all gone along with all the ITV ones, not that I would have noticed.

I am in London but lost these channels during the analogue switch-off in April, i retuned and ITV1 and ITV1+1 are now channels 800 and 801 instead of 3 and 33 on my Freeview box. So my advice is try a re-tune first and turn the TV off by unplugging it first to reboot it. :)

I am in London but lost these channels during the analogue switch-off in April, i retuned and ITV1 and ITV1+1 are now channels 800 and 801 instead of 3 and 33 on my Freeview box. So my advice is try a re-tune first and turn the TV off by unplugging it first to reboot it. :)

That's definitely done some good - I unplugged it for half an hour and then retuned and the missing channels are all showing on the EPG in the 800's. There's not much of a picture on any of them, but according to my new favourite website it could be the high pressure and ought to sort itself out - I haven't really had the thing on for days, so I don't know how long it's been like this.

Ta folks :)

Amy, I am not sure if it will help it.

As you know Digital/Freeview TV re-tuned theirs channels again sometimes in March. Old settings are still working, but some channels start to disappearing, depending where you live.

I had the message popping on my TV (in the digital mode, not sky tv mode), that I need to re-tune channels for a last 6-7 weeks. I did, and after automatic retuning, I only got BBC2 and nothing else. Not even a single radio channels. My mistake was, that I was re-tunning in DVB2 2 mode. (Don't aske me, what its mean, as I did not bother to googgle it). If you select to to automatically re-tune in Digital Only mode. (not in DVB2) Your all channels wil be back again!

As, I said above, it might not help, and it might be some different settings, but that what its done for me.

That's definitely done some good - I unplugged it for half an hour and then retuned and the missing channels are all showing on the EPG in the 800's. There's not much of a picture on any of them, but according to my new favourite website it could be the high pressure and ought to sort itself out - I haven't really had the thing on for days, so I don't know how long it's been like this.

Ta folks :)

there may be 2 rescan options. one for a full rescan and the other that just looks for undiscivered channels.

the reason u r getting 800 channels is cos it already knows about a channel it finds on the scan, doesnt overwrite it but saves in in the 800's block.

so u need to do the full install to get the channels in the right places.

Does scarborough get tv from emley moor or is there a local transmitter? You can tell -does your ariel point in a huddersfield direction, and are the cross pieces on your ariel (Dipoles) horozontal or vertical. Main transmitters are horozontal, subsidiary ones are vertical. This is known as polarisation.

As scarborough is a long way from elmley moor , the signal will degrade in certain weather conditions.

If u have a local transmitter the increase in power on switchover may be overloading your box so u may need to discard any signal amplifiers, or consider an attenutor to reduce the signal to stop overpowering the digital decoder.

I decided to pull my finger out and buy a licence yesterday, well I do listen to BBC Radio and do watch programmes on iplayer after they've been shown - so really should be contributing. Paid it and realised (a) there's no aerial to plug my TV into even if I did want to work out how to tune a digi, thingummy in, and (B) there were lots of programmes on iplayer I'd prefer watching to whatever talent show was being streamed out.

Well at least I've got the option to watch these channels live now if I so wish..........

There is a transmitter on Oliver's Mount so it's doubtful it is signal strength unless your aerial has come down. The digital switch over include a boost in signal strength. I guess the channels have moved and that you need to do a full retune, after checking your aerial is OK and pointing at the Mount.

Edited by WykeTyke

wish i could do a retune and lose 'Really'

There is a transmitter on Oliver's Mount so it's doubtful it is signal strength unless your aerial has come down. The digital switch over include a boost in signal strength. I guess the channels have moved and that you need to do a full retune, after checking your aerial is OK and pointing at the Mount.

Yep, the thing is so close I can see it from the end of our road. I don't have any access to the roof or the aerial; I'd have to call the management agents which I can do without.

I was getting nowhere, but I've just done a complete retune with the booster switched off and whilst it's still freezing and jumping a bit, the channels are mostly back, working and where they should be. Dave seems to have gone missing, but I can always just buy a Mock The Week DVD and watch it over and over again if I miss it.

wish i could do a retune and lose 'Really'

:lol:

Yep, the thing is so close I can see it from the end of our road. I don't have any access to the roof or the aerial; I'd have to call the management agents which I can do without.

I was getting nowhere, but I've just done a complete retune with the booster switched off and whilst it's still freezing and jumping a bit, the channels are mostly back, working and where they should be. Dave seems to have gone missing, but I can always just buy a Mock The Week DVD and watch it over and over again if I miss it.

:lol:

sounds like too much signal. things may improve when weather changes

sounds like too much signal. things may improve when weather changes

Classic, the weather has to change to get a decent TV picture, is this a Midlands or Northern phenomenon because it makes no odds to my picture in London whatever the weather, and i include heavy snow. ;):D

Edited by smiths

Classic, the weather has to change to get a decent TV picture, is this a Midlands or Northern phenomenon because it makes no odds to my picture in London whatever the weather, and i include heavy snow. ;):D

I've been at a friend's when it's been raining heavily and the signal is just rubbish.

I've been at a friend's when it's been raining heavily and the signal is just rubbish.

umm. look at the ukfree link in my earlier post. I think he will say check the connections at the ariel are watertight. But wet weather affects ariel effeciency as the rain conducts electricity and so reduces the quality of the signalgoing down the lead to your telly.I find it affects the channel 4 group the worst.

But i live in a marginal area for receiving from sutton coldfield so i do expect poor reception some times. i did with analogue.

spose the answer for people here is freesat. but i live in a conservation area and would need planning permission for the dish. cant be arsed.