Strawberry

Itunes Suddenly Not Working

19 posts in this topic

I use itunes for my ipod and as CD burning software, have done for years. Today suddenly I cannot get itunes to open be it when I connect the ipod, insert a CD (which I do select burn or play via itunes option), or click on the icon on the start up or programmes menu. The icons are all still there but all I get is the timer then nothing else. Have done the 'control/alt/delete' thing recommended by google search for this problem (you close down the itunes.exe process and have another go), but nothing.

Remove/install programmes reckons I've not used itunes for over a month which is not correct, I had it open only a few days ago to buy a new album/burn a disc.

Any ideas?Am tempted to remove the programme then reload - I have all my files backed up.

Strawberry: can you just try this.

Go to your command prompt. (I assume your PC is either on Win7 or Vista). Choose to "Run as administrator"

Then in this black box type: netsh winsock reset. Press "enter". Then restart your computer. If you will get command prompt box appear straight away after restarting computer, it might be variety messages on it. Just type "No", and then hit enter.

Restart Itines, put CD and see if its still working. It should fix it. If not, then tell what changed, and then we go from there.

I am a "new member" do my posts its still in pre mod, so I am apoogising, in case some people might give similar advise before my post will be approved.

P.S: forgot to mention (but I am sure you know it anyway). To get to command propmpt: Start-Programms-Accessories-Command Prompt.

Strawberry: can you just try this.

Go to your command prompt. (I assume your PC is either on Win7 or Vista). Choose to "Run as administrator"

Then in this black box type: netsh winsock reset. Press "enter". Then restart your computer. If you will get command prompt box appear straight away after restarting computer, it might be variety messages on it. Just type "No", and then hit enter.

Restart Itines, put CD and see if its still working. It should fix it. If not, then tell what changed, and then we go from there.

I am a "new member" do my posts its still in pre mod, so I am apoogising, in case some people might give similar advise before my post will be approved.

P.S: forgot to mention (but I am sure you know it anyway). To get to command propmpt: Start-Programms-Accessories-Command Prompt.

Thanks, by the way I did check this out before sticking it in my machine.

Anyway done it, no messages apart from telling me the reset had been done. Tried to open itunes via icon and also via menu when I put a CD in, and all I get is the egg timer for a couple of seconds then no further action at all. Plugging ipod in the pc knows it's there but just shows it as an external drive.

Have you tried to open Itunes in the safe mode? Also did you installed recently any Antivirus or Security software? Just trying to establish where the problem might be.

Can you just try for now this: Control panes-Uninstal programs. Then find Apple Application Support and Quicktime. Right click and select repair. (you need to restart computer again, after you done that, and them try to open Itunes).

Also: did you tried to open previous versions of itunes? Right click Itunes icon, then Properties, then Previous versions. Can you try this and also open it in the Safe mode, and tell what happening. Its just difficult to see from here, whatever its some compatability issue on your comp, or something gone corrupted in the Itunes files and libraries or your user account itself.

Have you tried to open Itunes in the safe mode? Also did you installed recently any Antivirus or Security software? Just trying to establish where the problem might be.

Can you just try for now this: Control panes-Uninstal programs. Then find Apple Application Support and Quicktime. Right click and select repair. (you need to restart computer again, after you done that, and them try to open Itunes).

Also: did you tried to open previous versions of itunes? Right click Itunes icon, then Properties, then Previous versions. Can you try this and also open it in the Safe mode, and tell what happening. Its just difficult to see from here, whatever its some compatability issue on your comp, or something gone corrupted in the Itunes files and libraries or your user account itself.

Only change has been I opened and played a video from a friends camera in Quick Time yesterday. Wondering if this is what's altered something?I uninstalled QT as a precaution and no change there.

Right I've used the repair option, no change. Restarted in safe mode, clicked on icon egg timer, message to increase screen res which I did, then nothing. Have removed antivirus, no difference. Uninstalled all itunes/apple software and reinstalled.

Running out of options and had to burn a disc using Windows media instead!

Similar happened after I-Tunes did an update and wanted a restart which I did not do straight away - couple of days later, tried I-Tunes and it would not start

Would not start until after doing a full restart of the computer - but I guess you have done this already

Have a look at http://www.howtogeek...ndows-computer/ as I'm sure that's the method I used when iTunes did something similar for me. Revo uninstaller is a handy tool to know about anyway, and it's used in this.

Thanks Scribbler I'm not on a marathon removal session using the uninstaller - which by the way I though might have been a one touch process, but it turns out it's not!

Also have tried previous versions as suggested above, BUT then I get a message saying itunes can't open because the library was created with a later version.

Now removing the whole lot to start again, again!

Thanks Scribbler I'm not on a marathon removal session using the uninstaller - which by the way I though might have been a one touch process, but it turns out it's not!

Unfortunately not, particularly with something as invasive as iTunes.

Also have tried previous versions as suggested above, BUT then I get a message saying itunes can't open because the library was created with a later version.

Now removing the whole lot to start again, again!

No please don't. I doubt that its something to do with corrupted Itunes libraries. It looks like something hapenned on your pc and Windows can't launch Itunes, even in the safe mode. Nothing to do with Itunes program itself, its a local problem.

I know it probably not going to help, but can you go to: http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/ and then select : "Fix problems with programs that can be installed or unistalled". Run that, and if you can see any messages after, please post here.

I'll disagree with the previous reply, as I know the itunes libraries can corrupt very easily. If so (although you'll lose plylists etc.) you could try renaming the library file in your iTunes folder (and/or the .xml file there), and the see if iTunes will open and allow you to re-import all of your music files. Risks losing a lot of information though, so it's another of those 'last resort' responses.

I'll disagree with the previous reply, as I know the itunes libraries can corrupt very easily. If so (although you'll lose plylists etc.) you could try renaming the library file in your iTunes folder (and/or the .xml file there), and the see if iTunes will open and allow you to re-import all of your music files. Risks losing a lot of information though, so it's another of those 'last resort' responses.

Why you are disagree? I never said that itunes libraries can not get corrupted. Hence I asked Strawberry to try to open Itunes in the Safe mode. Even with corrupted Libraries, Itunes should have opened in the Safe Mode. Its just would not load her account settings, files, libraries,etc. It will at least load in the basic "empty" mode. Since she mentioned, that she could not open it in the safe mode, I only can assume that there is some incompatibility with her Windows settings or other software running. She also said that she removed it and installed it again, which was not successful either.

I do agree, that Itunes is invasive, buggie and very restrictive piece of crap from the Apple. It is a good chance that Strawberry did not removed it completely, as it spread itself all over registry and even your suggested Revo unistaller not going to removed all affected registry entries. She might end up to remove them manually, before downloading Itunes again, and even then I doubt it will work. Thats why I asked her to run MS Fix first, to see if its any issues with uninstaling and what error messages she would get. Its not going to fix it, but might a give a clue whats going wrong.

Why you are disagree? I never said that itunes libraries can not get corrupted. Hence I asked Strawberry to try to open Itunes in the Safe mode.

Sorry if I misinterpreted - I've think you were asking her to open iTunes in safe mode (which should work if the library is corrupt) whereas re-reading it all I think that what's happened previously is iTunes has been opened in Windows safe mode (where the librarys etc. would still be loaded. Unfortunately iTunes afe mode probably isn't something that many people outside of IT know about! Holding down [ctrl]+[shift] while opening iTunes should get it into safe mode so this can be tried.

As a re-install of iTunes had been tried, looking at the library seems sensible next, as it would have been left alone and re-used by the new installation. Particularly as the error message specifically mentions the library, and renaming it to create a new library is the apple recommended way to deal with that error :)

I do agree, that Itunes is invasive, buggie and very restrictive piece of crap from the Apple. It is a good chance that Strawberry did not removed it completely, as it spread itself all over registry and even your suggested Revo unistaller not going to removed all affected registry entries. She might end up to remove them manually, before downloading Itunes again, and even then I doubt it will work.

You won't find me arguing on any of those points. Safest way to be sure it's gone is to completely re-install Windows, but that's overkill for most.

Sorry if I misinterpreted - I've think you were asking her to open iTunes in safe mode (which should work if the library is corrupt) whereas re-reading it all I think that what's happened previously is iTunes has been opened in Windows safe mode (where the librarys etc. would still be loaded. Unfortunately iTunes afe mode probably isn't something that many people outside of IT know about! Holding down [ctrl]+[shift] while opening iTunes should get it into safe mode so this can be tried.

As a re-install of iTunes had been tried, looking at the library seems sensible next, as it would have been left alone and re-used by the new installation. Particularly as the error message specifically mentions the library, and renaming it to create a new library is the apple recommended way to deal with that error :)

You won't find me arguing on any of those points. Safest way to be sure it's gone is to completely re-install Windows, but that's overkill for most.

Currently looking at alternatives to Apple software.

I've done almost everything and gone around in circles. Last night thought I'd really buggered up after trying to do a restore back to just before the problem arose. Err I ended up not being able to connect to the internet, and losing my anti-virus software. At one point I couldn't get the restore to revert back, but eventually managed it. PC now working again, but old problem still there and I have renamed the library. No progress there.

Going to leave it for a bit because it's got a bit too much for me but will run that ms fix thing later.

My apologies also. Sometimes what you type maybe obvious for me, but not so obvious for people who read it. I made this mistake few times. I did meant it to open Itines in the Safe mode, not open in the Safe mode on Windows PC.

I am still waiting if Ruth run this Win fix utility, and what error messages she got (if any). To reinstall Windows it such a drastic move, to correct such a minor problem. (even though its bloody annoying, and I see that Ruth gave up on now after trying almost everything).

I only wish I could live closer to her, I am 80% sure I could fix it, if I was in a front of her PC.

My apologies also. Sometimes what you type maybe obvious for me, but not so obvious for people who read it.

The dangers of speaking almost fluent computer geek :) but forgetting that it's a foreign language to many.

I am still waiting if Ruth run this Win fix utility, and what error messages she got (if any). To reinstall Windows it such a drastic move, to correct such a minor problem. (even though its bloody annoying, and I see that Ruth gave up on now after trying almost everything).

I only wish I could live closer to her, I am 80% sure I could fix it, if I was in a front of her PC.

I've used the remote support tool Teamviewer before with people in similar situations, as you can then see what's going on on the PC and also control it if the person you're helping is willing to allow it. I'd hesitate to suggest that level of trust be given to people who've only met on a forum though.

Right got to the bottom of the matter.

Basically my machine was infected with many viruses, some of which were in my itunes folder. Itunes wasn't the source, my machine had just had a build up over time. It was also very mucky inside, which was affecting performance in general. Had it all fixed properly and professionally and all is well again.

Thanks for the help, in this instance it was a big extensive job and one for the experts.