JKay

Linux Mint And Mobile Broadband......

4 posts in this topic

A WG I know is looking at getting a netbook that is running Mint, she wants to use a Vodafone 3g mobile broadband but is confused because when she read on the box that it should be run on Windows 7, Vista or XP service pack 3, there is no mention of any flavour off Linux? is this dead in the water before we start or is there an easy route to get connected?

If you cannot get Mint to recognise the Vodafone broadband dongle, and the netbook has built in wireless connection, you can get a wireless adapter for the broadband dongle, this then gives you your own broadband wireless hot spot to connect to.

I often find this works better than having the dongle plugged directly in to the computers USB socket, as you can place the now wireless dongle by a window for better reception whist the computer can be anywhere in the room. You can even connect more than one computer at the same time.

You can even use some smart phones in the same way, instead of needing a broadband dongle in the first place.

If you cannot get Mint to recognise the Vodafone broadband dongle, and the netbook has built in wireless connection, you can get a wireless adapter for the broadband dongle, this then gives you your own broadband wireless hot spot to connect to.

I often find this works better than having the dongle plugged directly in to the computers USB socket, as you can place the now wireless dongle by a window for better reception whist the computer can be anywhere in the room. You can even connect more than one computer at the same time.

You can even use some smart phones in the same way, instead of needing a broadband dongle in the first place.

thanks for that, will pass it on.