jojosun

Ubuntu Advice Please ?.

21 posts in this topic

Got a free Elonex Webbook, was running on Ubuntu 10.10 . Worked perfectly ,until i had the prompt tp upgrade to 11.04,then 11.10,and recently to the latest 12.04 .

Now it works when wired ,but the Wifi does not get conected via my wireless home router ..,or outside in free wifi zones (The Cloud),as it was doing before ..

The password is the same as before the upgrade and the Broadband service provider is the same .

Got a techie guy to have a look,and he couldn't fix it . He repeated what others have told me before ,to dump ubuntu,and install windows xp instead ,as not many people are familiar with Ubuntu.

Any ideas how to fix the WIFI back on again on Ubuntu12.04???

Should i follow advice and install windowsXP on the Elonex instead ???

Many Thanks in advance from a novice in techie matters .

I don't much like Ubuntu. Every single time I have done an upgrade, without exception it has gone wrong.

I had a quick look for any comments about problems with Elonex webbooks and wifi under Ubuntu, and all I could find were these:

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080718132709AAwd9fF

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=871195

Not sure if they help or not but at least they seem easy enough to try.

As for installing Windows XP, I'm not sure how much it costs these days or even where you would get it from. if your techie friend can get a copy for you I would seriously consider switching to it. For a non-technical user Windows is a lot easier to live with than Ubuntu.

I don't much like Ubuntu. Every single time I have done an upgrade, without exception it has gone wrong.

I had a quick look for any comments about problems with Elonex webbooks and wifi under Ubuntu, and all I could find were these:

http://uk.answers.ya...18132709AAwd9fF

http://ubuntuforums....ad.php?t=871195

As for installing Windows XP, I'm not sure how much it costs these days or even where you would get it from. if your techie friend can get a copy for you I would seriously consider switching to it. For a non-technical user Windows is a lot easier to live with than Ubuntu.

Many Thanks brinjer for your prompt reply ..

I have always been technophobic ,and more so with that damn Ubuntu upgrading .I stayed with ubuntu 10.10 all this time,and only upgraded when i kept getting the prompt to upgrade . The final notice being ,that 10.10 won't be supported anymore .

Don't laugh ...., i took it this time to one of the computer small repair& internet places ,and paid to have the upgrade done there .

Only when i got home ,i found out that the WIFI wasn't getting connnected .

Even the techie guy ,couldn't manage to fix it . And none of the shops that i tried seem to know anything about Ubuntu .

He says he can install a windows xp on it for £ 15 ???. I know i it sounds very cheap ,as the other ones ,wanted about £35 ..

Checked the manual &phoned customer services for Elonex ,and the memory on the book is 512 rmb .

tThey say it is recommended to have at least 4GB storage space in the webbook, to enable xp to be installed .

So how is he going to manage that ???? Fitting a new memory card with extra space ???/

All of this sounds double dutch to me ,lol.....

And another point in favor of installing xp ,is that my ISP do not support Ubuntu ,so anytime something goes wrong with the connection ,they can't help . But they said they can fix a problem ,if its windows.

I only use Ubuntu for my Naughty business ,including watching videos ,when the coast is clear ..

Once again thank you for the above input .

http://uk.answers.ya...18132709AAwd9fF

http://ubuntuforums....ad.php?t=871195

The first link was very useful ,so here it is . .

"

Why wont my elonex webbook connect to the internet?

I got it free with my contract but it doesn't seem to connect to the internet. Its wireless but i have to plug it in for the internet to work.

can someone please help me, it not windows its ubuntu, and also is there anyway i can change this too windows xp?

thanks..x

10dKD_-5dAAECHKKbpCNbeT8B.medium.jpg Anamaria UK

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

OK...I spoke to the techie from Elonex this evening. He told me what to do to get it started. First, look for the little Fn key in the lower left hand corner. Press it, then press F1 (at the top) quickly at the same time. This is an electronic key to allow the wi-fi to work, sometimes called the WLAN switch. Your little green light should go on to indicate that the wi-fi is now functional. After I spoke to him I downloaded the free 2008 AVG anti-virus (the WebBook doesn't come with anti-virus protection) and also the Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2008 which is also free. Run these at least once a week to avoid infections and slow-downs. Hope this works for you...it worked for me! Good luck and happy browsing.

Why wont my elonex webbook connect to the internet?

I got it free with my contract but it doesn't seem to connect to the internet. Its wireless but i have to plug it in for the internet to work.

can someone please help me, it not windows its ubuntu, and also is there anyway i can change this too windows xp?

thanks..x

10dKD_-5dAAECHKKbpCNbeT8B.medium.jpg Anamaria UK

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

OK...I spoke to the techie from Elonex this evening. He told me what to do to get it started. First, look for the little Fn key in the lower left hand corner. Press it, then press F1 (at the top) quickly at the same time. This is an electronic key to allow the wi-fi to work, sometimes called the WLAN switch. Your little green light should go on to indicate that the wi-fi is now functional. After I spoke to him I downloaded the free 2008 AVG anti-virus (the WebBook doesn't come with anti-virus protection) and also the Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2008 which is also free. Run these at least once a week to avoid infections and slow-downs. Hope this works for you...it worked for me! Good luck and happy browsing.".

I tried the above and it did work a couple of times .

But i think there is a issue with (Net Configuration),which is disturbing the WIFI .

I did the upgrade like i said from 11.10 to 12.04 ,but i still get the11.10 logo on the screen ,when i switch on,with the following "Booting system without full network configuration "...???. Whatever this means ???

Yet ,when i shut down the connection ,its 12.04 showing on the screen ????

I am guessing that the upgrade to 12.04 was not fully completed ,when upgraded ..

So it looks like its an issue with "Booting system without full network configuration ",affecting the WIFI ,but not the wired connection .

Hope the above sheds some light and be of use to users of Ubuntu..

Thanks brinjer .

Doesn't sound like a real tech guy, and XP at £15 is pirated. Avoid like a plague.

Ubuntu is genuinely free software, you should stick with it.

The best place to ask your question is probably here: http://ubuntuforums....splay.php?f=336

and here is a thread of somebody experiencing a similar problem. http://ubuntuforums....d.php?t=1975442

Which looks like new drivers don't work with some Wifi

Edited by WykeTyke

Doesn't sound like a real tech guy, and XP at £15 is pirated. Avoid like a plague.

Ubuntu is genuinely free software, you should stick with it.

The best place to ask your question is probably here: http://ubuntuforums....splay.php?f=336

and here is a thread of somebody experiencing a similar problem. http://ubuntuforums....d.php?t=1975442

Which looks like new drivers don't work with some Wifi

Thanks for the advice ..

Every time i have a problem with Ubuntu (When Upgrading ),i go on an expedition trying the various small shops,internet cafes ,where thay do computer repairs . None of them have a clue about Ubuntu ,and they say so . It also seems a lot cowboys setting themselves up in those places /

IBut they keep offering to install windows instead at prices around £35 . I checked this with P C world ,and they said it must be pirated ..

Ubuntu worked fine and it still does ,when wired . Its now only the WIFI connection ...

Any reliable and reasonable computer shops in the London area ,who can fix this problem ,but don't charge sky high prices ????

Quite honestly ,i am a real Dummy to comprehend all the technical bits & pieces posted on the Ubuntu forums ,re the above issues.

Any reliable and reasonable computer shops in the London area ,who can fix this problem ,but don't charge sky high prices ????

Try your local LUG (Linux User Group)

Make sure you have web access via wired and make sure you have installed all updates. Then try System, Administration, Hardware Drivers and look for the wireless driver. Ubuntu should have it but I have had laptops where the driver has been missing from the standard build and has to be installed from the web.

You could try Fedora - I have had so many problems with Ubuntu failing after updates that I have dumped it and just use Fedora.

Or - if you want to be bleedin edge experimental try android-x86 .

Thank You Guys for all the above much appreciated advice .

Like i said i don't feel confident enough doing the above on my own ..,just in case something else goes wrong .

Tomorrow i am due to go back to the computer shop again . , .Armed with the above advice ,i hope the techie there will be able to fix it this time . I will report back on the outcome ..

. He was the one that i paid to do the upgrade from 10.10 to the current one 12.04 .

But now i get on the screen like i said above "Booting System Without Full Network Configuration "..

When Ubuntu works ,its perfect ....The problems start with the upgrades sometimes ..

It works fine when wired ..

You can try and replace Ubuntu with Debian. Ask on a Debian forum, they will tell you how to achieve that. Your webbook will run faster and probably work better. I personally have used Slackware for a few years and I don't like Ubuntu that much.

Thank You Guys for all the above much appreciated advice .

Like i said i don't feel confident enough doing the above on my own ..,just in case something else goes wrong .

Tomorrow i am due to go back to the computer shop again . , .Armed with the above advice ,i hope the techie there will be able to fix it this time . I will report back on the outcome ..

. He was the one that i paid to do the upgrade from 10.10 to the current one 12.04 .

But now i get on the screen like i said above "Booting System Without Full Network Configuration "..

When Ubuntu works ,its perfect ....The problems start with the upgrades sometimes ..

It works fine when wired ..

Was there at the computer shop on the dot at 9 am ..

The same Mr knows F All kind of Techie there , starts fiddling with it . I just sat there looking at him ,telling him about some of the above tips . .

One hour later ,he tells me there is " No Driver " for the WIFI whatever that means. , when the upgrading was done .

Told him i had WIFI few times since the Upgrade to 12.04 . he didn't answer .

Went for a Pint at a bar with WIFI (The Cloud) , i got it on straight away ,same like before the upgrade ..

Got back home and the WIFI is working so far . So no driver was a some kind of BS .

I should explain that for my Desk Top Computer and the Elonex webbook ,i just use them much in the same way as my car .

Fill up and go . If anything goes wrong i am off to the Garage .

I am a bit like Tony Blair " Technophobic " when it comes to Computers or Mobile Pnones .

I guess i spend most of my time reading about Pussies .

Once again thank you all for putting in the time and the effort in educating a novice

A driver is a bit of software that controls hardware.

Your computer has various bits of hardware connected to the central system - known as a "bus". Some of this hardware is built in - i.e. usb, onboard networking, and some is plug-in - i.e. upgraded video cards, additional network cards and anything you plug into a USB socket - printers, memory sticks etc....

These devices use different chipsets from different manufactures. A driver is a bit of software that tells your operating system - i.e. Ubuntu - how to "talk" to the bit of hardware.

Operating systems normally come with (lots of) drivers but there is so much hardware out there that no operating system can have a driver for every bit of hardware available. Most O/S's will have drivers for most hardware - the rest are available on the web.

Drivers are software so can sometimes have bugs but normally they just work - they are not normally intermittent because they are usually well tested and perform a limited defined function. Not always though.

If your wireless has worked intermittently there must have been a driver - hardware doesn't do anything without the driver software.

Edited by nsb43

Windows XP on 512MB RAM is going to be slow and pretty painful to use as well. You can probably get a genuine serial number by reading the numbers off the old computers in the skip at your local dump, or in your local library. Although all computers comes with a sticker and a licence number, those numbers aren't activated and so can be reused. (Have been reusing the ones at my work for years, just write them down as I scrap the machines)

I'm not a Ubuntu users myself, but if you've managed this long with it then there isn't much point suddenly changing to something else. Backing up your files, wiping it, installing windows and then finding all the drivers is a days work, and it will probably run slower than before. Swapping to any other Linux distribution will be much the same. Keep it going as long as you can, and when it finally gets too slow just buy a new one, and pick Windows if you are familiar enough with windows.

A driver is a bit of software that controls hardware.

Your computer has various bits of hardware connected to the central system - known as a "bus". Some of this hardware is built in - i.e. usb, onboard networking, and some is plug-in - i.e. upgraded video cards, additional network cards and anything you plug into a USB socket - printers, memory sticks etc....

These devices use different chipsets from different manufactures. A driver is a bit of software that tells your operating system - i.e. Ubuntu - how to "talk" to the bit of hardware.

Operating systems normally come with (lots of) drivers but there is so much hardware out there that no operating system can have a driver for every bit of hardware available. Most O/S's will have drivers for most hardware - the rest are available on the web.

Drivers are software so can sometimes have bugs but normally they just work - they are not normally intermittent because they are usually well tested and perform a limited defined function. Not always though.

If your wireless has worked intermittently there must have been a driver - hardware doesn't do anything without the driver software.

Thank You very much for the detailed info on the inner workings of the system ... Just finished reading it .

I have been glued to the thing all day long watching how does it respond .

Must say much improved since yesterday . There was some prompt about updates to install ,which i did .

See how it goes .

Cheers

Windows XP on 512MB RAM is going to be slow and pretty painful to use as well. You can probably get a genuine serial number by reading the numbers off the old computers in the skip at your local dump, or in your local library. Although all computers comes with a sticker and a licence number, those numbers aren't activated and so can be reused. (Have been reusing the ones at my work for years, just write them down as I scrap the machines)

I'm not a Ubuntu users myself, but if you've managed this long with it then there isn't much point suddenly changing to something else. Backing up your files, wiping it, installing windows and then finding all the drivers is a days work, and it will probably run slower than before. Swapping to any other Linux distribution will be much the same. Keep it going as long as you can, and when it finally gets too slow just buy a new one, and pick Windows if you are familiar enough with windows.

Many Thanks . . Yes very sound advice .

I only use Ubuntu for our hobby .. I will just keep using it until such time when a new netbook is needed .

Then i will make sure its Windows ...

At present i use Windows Vista on the desktop computer .

Ubuntu is the mystery to a lot of techies .

Had a call yesterday from someone ,who said i can try windows from a CD on my webbook without touching Ubuntu on it .

And if i liked it .then he can install it to replace ubuntu the present OS .. It didn't

. sound right to me ,and the windows XP is a copy .

Made my excuses and just left it

An Update on the above which might be of benefit to users of Ubuntu .

At present i am using it without wired connection at home only ...

On the network connection details it shows (Auto Ethernet) . But the thing is it also shows (Wired Connection, Cable Unplugged ).....

Anyone here on Ubuntu ????

What i don't understand ,is how do i get internet connection without a cable plugged into the Router ??

Is this a wireless connection ???

Had expert advice on the ongoing problems with the above .

1. Uninstall and re install Ubuntu 12.04 . It appears that problems started with the upgrading from 10.10 to 11.04,11.10,and then 12.04 ..

So the best way is to make a clean start . was told that this should solve the problems .

2. A friend offered to install windows xp as the OS on the Elonex webbook . Easier to use .

The other thing is that my ISP provider do not support Ubuntu .. So if a get problems with the broadband connection they can't 'offer support ..

Whan support for windows xp ceases April2014 ,i can reinstall the latest version of Ubuntu ..

Will post later on what option i will take .

Had expert advice on the ongoing problems with the above .

1. Uninstall and re install Ubuntu 12.04 . It appears that problems started with the upgrading from 10.10 to 11.04,11.10,and then 12.04 ..

So the best way is to make a clean start . was told that this should solve the problems .

2. A friend offered to install windows xp as the OS on the Elonex webbook . Easier to use .

The other thing is that my ISP provider do not support Ubuntu .. So if a get problems with the broadband connection they can't 'offer support ..

Whan support for windows xp ceases April2014 ,i can reinstall the latest version of Ubuntu ..

Will post later on what option i will take .

Thank you guys for all your contributions .

I thought  its only fair to update you on the option i took   as i honestly believe PN  should be a 2 way traffic  even for techie stuff ..

Got really pissed off   with all the problems of Ubuntu and its updates especially   with  me being technophobic ,so i opted for windows 7 ultimate  installed on this Elonex Webbook  with a memory of only  500mb...

Now its working like a breez e and much more user friendly ......   ... Total cost £25 ???.

How this guy did it .....   ???  Is the least of my problems  .

Now i get WI Fi   at  all WiFi hot spots ,and wirlesless at home .....   That's all i really wanted 

Once again  thank you all  for your  replies 

Thank you guys for all your contributions .

I thought  its only fair to update you on the option i took   as i honestly believe PN  should be a 2 way traffic  even for techie stuff ..

Got really pissed off   with all the problems of Ubuntu and its updates especially   with  me being technophobic ,so i opted for windows 7 ultimate  installed on this Elonex Webbook  with a memory of only  500mb...

Now its working like a breez e and much more user friendly ......   ... Total cost £25 ???.

How this guy did it .....   ???  Is the least of my problems  .

Now i get WI Fi   at  all WiFi hot spots ,and wirlesless at home .....   That's all i really wanted 

Once again  thank you all  for your  replies 

Here's a useful link on how he might have done it ,ie installing Windows Ultimate 7 on my webbook with only 512mb ram ..

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/how-well-does-windows-7-handle-512mb/672