Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MarcoPolo

Brothel closures

13 posts in this topic

Took my first look at C5's Vice Squad series last night.

The programme itself is the usual cobbling together of dubious bits and pieces designed to hold the limited attention span of the target viewer. But I was interested to see the head of the Clubs & Vice unit apparently stating that they are now systematically identifying, visiting and closing down any brothel in the Met area, seemingly regardless of whether there are suspicions of trafficking or other criminal activity, or specific reports of nuisance. In other words, just because they are illegal.

Given that the V&C team has limited manpower, that there are an estimated 500 brothels in the city, and new ones open as soon as old ones close, this is obviously an endlessly circular task. But does anyone have any further corroboration that it is now Met policy to close down all brothels, regardless of how well they are run or how little nuisance they cause?

I watched it too. Very interesting.

Included the inevitable trafficked victim but didn't really drill down to what extent the girl had been originally deceived, bearing in mind that she had come over to work as a masseuse. But once here she was definitely caught up by a nasty little ring.

The brothel closures were interesting in that they closed them and said that if, when they came back, it had reopened arrests would be made. So hinting to the owners to move it on in effect, thus creating the circular flow of bothels. (Yes, I am a Keynesian.)

With the number of brothels, and the limited resources the squad has available to mount the first and second raid, together with its espoused plan to visit them all, a brothel can expect a first visit every couple of years, and if it's smart it just ups sticks and moves on.

This reduces the number of 'nuisance' calls to the vice squad and ensures the brothel can function as a business albeit in a slightly peripatetic way. Disincentivises the brothel owner to invest too much in the prems though.

Not sure how the new legislation will change anything unless a police force feels it has a particular problem on its patch with issues other than 'nuisance', e.g. class A drugs, trafficking, underage sex, illegal immigrants etc., and decides to use the new laws, and provide extra resources, to target identified brothels.

If neighbours complain about a place or there are reports of other activity such as drug dealing, then usually the local borough police will be obliged to pay a visit without involving V&C.

I always understood that local officers know very well where the brothels are, but generally turn a blind eye unless they are given cause for concern. I have personally had one close encounter which tended to confirm this. These are the police who will actually assist WGs or establishments if they are the victims of violence or theft. We might refer to them as "good police" (even though we are not in Baltimore).

Thus the V&C closure policy appears to be unrelated to what local police feel is important to deal with on their home patch. This I would say is not, on the whole, good policing, more a wasteful diversion of resources. Or are they just working up their stats, I wonder?

Sounds like a Politically Correct statement to kep the antis happy.

He couldn't say we only enforce the law if someone complains.

Took my first look at C5's Vice Squad series last night.

The programme itself is the usual cobbling together of dubious bits and pieces designed to hold the limited attention span of the target viewer. But I was interested to see the head of the Clubs & Vice unit apparently stating that they are now systematically identifying, visiting and closing down any brothel in the Met area, seemingly regardless of whether there are suspicions of trafficking or other criminal activity, or specific reports of nuisance. In other words, just because they are illegal.

Given that the V&C team has limited manpower, that there are an estimated 500 brothels in the city, and new ones open as soon as old ones close, this is obviously an endlessly circular task. But does anyone have any further corroboration that it is now Met policy to close down all brothels, regardless of how well they are run or how little nuisance they cause?

Didn't see the program but as another poster says, it sounds like he's just saying it for appearances. They, as you say, have limited manpower and are responsible for a lot more than just prostitution. It would be physically impossible for them to do what this guy has said. The list of brothels would grow faster than they could shut them down, with others closing of their own accord long before they got round to them. It's common sense that an organisation with limited resources is going to focus on the brothels where they think there's an underage girl, or forced prostitution or drugs being sold on the premises etc. But admitting that wouldn't please the femi-nazis.

Didn't see the program but as another poster says, it sounds like he's just saying it for appearances. They, as you say, have limited manpower and are responsible for a lot more than just prostitution. It would be physically impossible for them to do what this guy has said. The list of brothels would grow faster than they could shut them down, with others closing of their own accord long before they got round to them. It's common sense that an organisation with limited resources is going to focus on the brothels where they think there's an underage girl, or forced prostitution or drugs being sold on the premises etc. But admitting that wouldn't please the femi-nazis.

What you say makes perfect sense, but the programme went on to show the unit raiding three establishments with no hint that any of them had been targeted for any other reason than that they had simply been identified as brothels. Done for the camera? Possibly. But I think it more likely that C&V have targets they have to meet, therefore random raids may be carried out to achieve this.

I always understood that local officers know very well where the brothels are, but generally turn a blind eye unless they are given cause for concern. I have personally had one close encounter which tended to confirm this. These are the police who will actually assist WGs or establishments if they are the victims of violence or theft. We might refer to them as "good police" (even though we are not in Baltimore).

Is there not a danger that brothels will stop advertizing in local newspapers? Then what will happen is that the police will find it more difficult to locate them. It will make it even more likely that there will be trafficked girls like the one seen in the programme.

Much better would be if every brothel was inspected without warning so that unwilling women could be located and rescued. If society is really concerned about the suffering of women forced into prostitution they will legalize brothels or do something like this.

The police have allowed brothels to spring up in every part of London even though they are illegal. Now they seem to want to force them to go underground. And yet they like to take credit for rescuing vulnerable girls at the same time as blaming punters. The programme showed one punter and implied that he was stupid for thinking that wgs had sex with him of their own free will.

Another thing that I find strange was when they said this girl had 20 punters a day. I think in Soho walk ups they can have 20 or more but I would have thought that in a suburban brothel they would not be so busy.

Much better would be if every brothel was inspected without warning so that unwilling women could be located and rescued.

My understanding is that is exactly what does happen, a WG I was familiar with told me she was caught up in just such a raid and the police were concerned with checking ages, immigration status and general welfare of the girls. She said that a punter had been nabbed in situ and the police would only let him go after she had stated that he had paid up & did not owe her any money.

Is there not a danger that brothels will stop advertizing in local newspapers? Then what will happen is that the police will find it more difficult to locate them

There is already an ordinance of some kind against this advertising over most of the country, and it seems to involve most London local newpapers too.

Another thing that I find strange was when they said this girl had 20 punters a day. I think in Soho walk ups they can have 20 or more but I would have thought that in a suburban brothel they would not be so busy.

I hesitate to question what genuinely forced girls say and would never want to minimise the horrible experiences some undoubtedly go through, but that sort of statement has always puzzled me too. Elsewhere, amongst more emotive commentators, you may see reference to girls being "raped 30 times a day".

So how is it that these secret places where the enslaved girls are, manage to achieve this apparent non-stop stream of punters queuing at the door, day in, day out, when the willing girls at my regular house have been complaining all year that due to the credit crunch they have been seeing sometimes as few as one or two a day?

I hesitate to question what genuinely forced girls say and would never want to minimise the horrible experiences some undoubtedly go through, but that sort of statement has always puzzled me too. Elsewhere, amongst more emotive commentators, you may see reference to girls being "raped 30 times a day".

So how is it that these secret places where the enslaved girls are, manage to achieve this apparent non-stop stream of punters queuing at the door, day in, day out, when the willing girls at my regular house have been complaining all year that due to the credit crunch they have been seeing sometimes as few as one or two a day?

Good point.

I suspect this is/was all part of the orchestrated campaign by various authorities (Gov, Home office, UK Border Agency, Police, etc) to make punters feel guilty.

While not denying there are some enslaved women who are raped as you say, the suggestion that it is rampant and widespread has been proven to be false, but who's going to be hurt if the same of mantra is trotted out? Not everyone will have realised.

Here's one I posted in a Derby thread:-

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/news/Sex-massages-offered-police-officers-brothel/article-1412674-detail/article.html

I'm hazarding a guess that "I answered the phone and opened the door to a number of men who then went upstairs" isn't a very good excuse. Possibly all the men said they were carpet fitters coming to measure up?

Clearly the jury thought that they were! :D:D

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/news/Woman-madam/article-1425294-detail/article.html