genghis69

Tracing a computer

14 posts in this topic

In another thread, Galahad mentioned he'd banned a few users cos they were the same person using multiple id's, or certainly the same pc. I access this forum only on my mobile phone. Would u be able to trace me? Would my number appear? Thanx

In another thread, Galahad mentioned he'd banned a few users cos they were the same person using multiple id's, or certainly the same pc. I access this forum only on my mobile phone. Would u be able to trace me? Would my number appear? Thanx

I see no reason for G to reveal how he goes about working out guys or girls who try to break the rules. The more he reveals, the more people might work ways around it. Its up to each punter to read the reviews and decide on their authenticity, being a cynic I am highly sceptical of a lot of them, even well known girls on this forum, when its from a one time poster. Presumably though they have the nous to put it up from a different pc and location. One of the last batch posted, made me laugh, but I decided it was probably the girl posting on herself!:confused:

No, you can't trace a mobile (web stats don't show a mobile number for instance).

You can, however, trace a lot of information from an IP address when you know what your'e doing.

You can't see a mobile number, but you can see (as Admin) the network, and often manufacturer/model of phone. :confused:

No - your phone number would not appear. Go to http://www.iwebtool.com/browser_details on your mobile to see what kind of information is passed to the server. The main one from a tracing point of view is the IP address / hostname. For fixed line connections this can be roughly traced to a physical location, but for mobiles, I'd imagine it would identify your network provider at best.

... which is a lot lees information than you can get tracing an IP address.

Some of these so-called tools for tracing IP addresses are pants.

Tried several with mine just now. One thinks I am in London (near County Hall), another Hereford, another Cardiff (Bevan Place). I am miles from any of these. And one reckoned my IP was invalid.

Plus it shows the wrong version of Firefox I am using by several releases.

Utter cack.

Its up to each punter to read the reviews and decide on their authenticity, being a cynic I am highly sceptical of a lot of them, even well known girls on this forum, when its from a one time poster.

I could not agree more and have said this for years, some ladies have a suspicious number of reports from guys who have never filed a report and never go on to do another -------- or could I be too cynical. :confused:

Tracing a computer is a bit more difficult to do than a mobile as you need a lot bigger piece of tracing paper! :D

Joking aside its pretty difficult to trace the individual on the internet you can only detect that the same connection is being made at best. i.e ip identical or from same location and ISP provider etc. Only authorities like the police (if they request it from your ISP) and your ISP can identify you specifically. If you put the information out on the net however like on Facebook or you register a web address in your own name someone may be able to trace you.

If you have the right tools and knowlege its fairly straightforward to identify where a PC is, certainly the area its in, and if multiple ID's are coming from the same machine... having worked in this area for some years its also easy enough to hide/confuse where/who you are..............

With some posters it is even possible to trace the day on which their "etch-a-sketch" was bought from the local toyshop!! :D:eek::P

With some posters it is even possible to trace the day on which their "etch-a-sketch" was bought from the local toyshop!! :D:eek::P

Do they still make them? I loved mine, but that silver/grey stuff kept leaking out of casing. Good ol' days.

Do they still make them? I loved mine, but that silver/grey stuff kept leaking out of casing. Good ol' days.

Easy to reboot too, just shake them!!