Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
elrond

Stop The Arrests

8 posts in this topic

In the run up to the London Olympics there has been an alarming targeting of sex workers in London, especially in those boroughs where the Olympics are being staged. Closing brothels and displacing street workers have dangerous consequences for sex workers. Safety of sex workers should be the priority, not the specific targeting of sex workers because of unfounded and unproven fears over sex trafficking. This is simply biased and prejudiced policing relying on generated hysteria as an excuse to close brothels.

I urge all of our readers, if you live in London or not, if you are a sex worker or not, to sign this open letter that will be handed to Boris Johnson the Lord Mayor.

Sign the open letter to the Mayor of London

Boris Johnson

Mayor of London

Greater London Authority

City Hall, The Queen’s Walk

London SE1 2AA

Dear Mr Johnson,

http://www.moratorium2012.org/open-letter/petition/

In the run up to the London Olympics there has been an alarming targeting of sex workers in London, especially in those boroughs where the Olympics are being staged. Closing brothels and displacing street workers have dangerous consequences for sex workers. Safety of sex workers should be the priority, not the specific targeting of sex workers because of unfounded and unproven fears over sex trafficking. This is simply biased and prejudiced policing relying on generated hysteria as an excuse to close brothels.

I urge all of our readers, if you live in London or not, if you are a sex worker or not, to sign this open letter that will be handed to Boris Johnson the Lord Mayor.

Sign the open letter to the Mayor of London

Boris Johnson

Mayor of London

Greater London Authority

City Hall, The Queen’s Walk

London SE1 2AA

Dear Mr Johnson,

http://www.moratoriu...etter/petition/

I would agree with this wholeheartedly, but was wondering what data there is about the brothels that were closed down, and how many arrests of street workers have been made in the Olympic boroughs.

There are lots of threads about that. Do a google search for "Andrew Boff" or search the forum for "Olympics".

There have also been reports of Police Officers harassing girls working within the law from their flats .

The campaigning groups need to find a human rights lawyer to go for a restraining order against the Met preventing it. That would put the cat amongst the pigeons.

A remarkably sensible and well-informed piece on the BBC website today:

<http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-18174387>

You beat me to it, I was going to raise a seperate topic.

I agree a well balanced article, some politicians admitting they got it wrong and a conservative member of the London Assembly, Andrew Boff, makeing a sensible statement about the logistics of setting up a brothel for the duration of the Olympics, allso stating we should be more worried about trafficked labour than trafficked prostitution.

Yep, the logo is indeed sheer genius, but that won't stop the Olympic logo gestapo forcing the site down just because of the logo, not the other site content!