Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Xenia

Some Info About Kindle Keyboard 3g

4 posts in this topic

I always thought that anybody who buy Kindle, buy it for a pure purpose of reading books, as well as to download hundreds of free books ( not just old classic, which are not copyrighted) recent editions too, as well as heavy discounted books, if otherwise, you bought them "on the paper"

However the most attractive feature of Kindle Keyboard 3G only, that you can browse the internet abroad on the 3G network totally for FREE! Ok, not exactly around the globe, but certainly around the Europe, US, North Africa, etc. You can find countries listed on this map.

The vague guide: anywhere where is Vodafone network (or theirs partners) you can access 3g abroad.

I think its absolutely brilliant, considering, that if you are not in WIFI zone, or you need to pay for it while abroad you can access mobile internet for nought on 3g or EDGE. Otherwise if you want to roam with your mobile, Ipad, tablet etc, it could cost you a tenner just to download few emails.

Of course Kindle its not PC, not tablet, not laptop, netbook, etc. its a book reader after all. Browser is only a bonus, and it is extremely basic. (think about Netscape in 1996, and you will get an idea! lol) No multiply pages, no tabs, no java, yourtube, etc (Punternet working fine though, lol).

Basically you can use it to read your emails (if its web based), do your online banking, and of course simple browsing including facebook, twitter, etc. Browsing its very awkward, and I did swore more then a few times, before I got hang of it.

Now! You only can access FREE 3G browsing ABROAD on the Kindle keyboard 3g model. You would not be able to browse on for free on Kindle 3G touch. On the 3G touch model, you only can download books from Amazon, and access Wikepedia. (I mean when you abroad, and when no WIFI network present), but you can not browse abroad for free.

Of course Amazon losing quite a lot of revenue on the Kindle keyboard 3G net access, hence they not allow it on 3g Touch model, because on this model its just to easy, and they know that people would download lots of data. On the 3G keyboard, they won't, they rather top themselves from frustration! lol

However, its still a brilliant device to acess net for nowt, even in Burcina Faso! (I did not tried though there, lol)

I know. I loved mine till I lost it and it wasnt even one of the newest fandangles models, it was the first model they brought out on 3g. I even posted on the punternet forum somewhere from it and and said..whoo hoo im posting from my kindle. The entire book downloads i around 2 seconds and you can even have your newpaper and magazines delivered to your kindle instead of your door daily. You can also download all your pdf documents to it and I believe download audio books and music files too although I never tried I did find the button to do it.

I've read some of the blurb on these new Kindles and see that Amazon funds the 3G connection - but how long for ? I couldn't see any info on if this was 'for the first year' 'for as long as you owned it' or 'until the Kindle was thrown in the recycling bin' etc.

Anyone know ?

I've read some of the blurb on these new Kindles and see that Amazon funds the 3G connection - but how long for ? I couldn't see any info on if this was 'for the first year' 'for as long as you owned it' or 'until the Kindle was thrown in the recycling bin' etc.

Anyone know ?

AFAIK: 3G browsing on Kindle 3G models in this country only, will be available for the foreseeable future on all Kindle 3G models (Kindle Keyboard 3G, and Kindle touch 3G). They sell this devices with the TOC mentioning it, so legally they can not back pedal on it!

As for the accessing 3G ABROAD for free (which was mainly the point of my post!), Amazon so far have not made any official statement. They only stated that 3G in other counties can be accessed through Kindle Keyboard 3G, NOT on Kindle Touch 3G.

Here is a blurb from Amazon for Kindle Keyboard 3G:

The experimental web browser is free to use over Kindle Keyboard's 3G or Wi-Fi connections. If you are traveling outside the United Kingdom, you can access Wikipedia in over 100 countries anywhere you have a 3G connection (check the wireless coverage map here). You can browse other websites globally via a Wi-Fi connection. Access to other websites while traveling abroad is available via a 3G connection in the 61 countries listed below.

And here is for a Kindle Touch 3G to compare.

Kindle Touch 3G lets you download books anytime, anywhere in our 3G coverage area, whether you're relaxing on a beach, halfway through a hike, or waiting on the tarmac. Check 3G coverage area.

As you can see there is no mentioning that you can access websites on 3G connection while abroad. You only can download books, which is a bit pointless, as I am sure most download books while they at home on theirs WIFI connection before traveling abroad.

Yes, Amazon has a whole right to stop free 3G browsing abroad. (abroad only, not in UK). Its mentioned somewhere in theirs TOC (For Kindle 3g Keyboard), but I am to lazy to look for it now.

I was in Turkey recently. Ok, not my choice for a holiday, but I wanted to meet some of my Russian friends, who was traveling there. (they could not come to UK, as they could not get visas). I've met lots of British people in hotel, who were complaining that WIFI in hotel cost them £5 for 30 minutes. And they only wanted to sent few emails.(or so they said) I gave him my Kindle Keyboard 3g and they done it on the beach while roasting theirs bones.

I was very surprised that they did not know about it, and all of them said that they going to order it when they comeback. One guy even ordered Kindle from my Kindle. lol. Yes, its not an easy browsing, but access internet for free in foreign country, certainly better then nothing!