Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ringo

More Than One Girl Working In House?

17 posts in this topic

Hello, i am sure this has been covered before but my search was not successful.

A friend of mine works from her home taking incalls .

She has a spare room so considered letting a wg friend of hers move in and work from her house.

The specific question is - will she be breaking the law?

Two girls at one address.

I would like to give her 100% correct advice just so she knows exactly where she stands.

Thanks.

It would be a brothel. She would be breaking the law.The maximum penalty for keeping or managing a brothel is 7 years imprisonment - section 33A SOA 1956.

it is a brothel

but we know many brothels exist

Could anyone direct me to where i can see this in black and white?

I don't doubt the fact,but i would like to be able to show my friend - she believes otherwise.

Thanks.

So then places like HOD in South Ken and MK are technically brothels and hence illegal? Does the punter stand any danger from law enforcement in the event of a raid?

So then places like HOD in South Ken and MK are technically brothels and hence illegal? Does the punter stand any danger from law enforcement in the event of a raid?

It is not illegal for a punter to use a brothel, however if any of the women are forced, coerced or trafficked then there is an offence of paying (or intending to pay) for sex with a forced/coerced/trafficked woman. As far as we are aware there haven't yet been any convictions for this. It does appear that sometimes the police might interview said punters for evidence, or try to detain them under other auspices. Being in a brothel or paying for sex is not illegal in the UK.

Edited by Strawberry

Strictly speaking brothels aren't illegal, but it's an offence "to keep, or to manage, or act or assist in the management of, a brothel". It's not illegal to visit a brothel, or to work in a brothel provided that you're not involved in managing it.

It is illegal to pay or promise to pay for the sexual services of a prostitute subject to exploitative conduct. As Strawberry says, we haven't been able to find a single case of a customer appearing in court and being prosecuted for the offence.

Your chances of being caught up in a brothel raid are very slim. I reckon that you've got a greater chance of being involved in a serious car accident on the way to the brothel.

Anecdotal evidence would suggest that if you are caught in a raid you will be asked to get dressed and leave. You may be asked for your name and address. There are several threads in this section relating to such scenario.

Hello, i am sure this has been covered before but my search was not successful.

A friend of mine works from her home taking incalls .

She has a spare room so considered letting a wg friend of hers move in and work from her house.

The specific question is - will she be breaking the law?

Two girls at one address.

I would like to give her 100% correct advice just so she knows exactly where she stands.

Thanks.

Rather than ask here, I'd ask CAB, or even a lawyer, don't worry, like doctors, they've heard it all before.

Rather than ask here, I'd ask CAB, or even a lawyer, don't worry, like doctors, they've heard it all before.

I'm quite certain that the people who regularly read and post in the Legalities and Legislation forum (and they know who they are) will have more knowledge about the relevant laws relating to prostitution than most CAB workers/volunteers, lawyers, police officers or CPS employees.

It is not illegal for a punter to use a brothel, however if any of the women are forced, coerced or trafficked then there is an offence of paying (or intending to pay) for sex with a forced/coerced/trafficked woman. As far as we are aware there haven't yet been any convictions for this. It does appear that sometimes the police might interview said punters for evidence, or try to detain them under other auspices. Being in a brothel or paying for sex is not illegal in the UK.

it is also illegal to pay for sex with a coerced woman who is not in a brothel.

I am still surprised from time to time when clients (and I have had serving police offer clients too who I have had to

educate in this ;) ! ) are unaware of the legality of it all. They ask am I afraid of being raided. I say no because I am not doing anything illegal

They say they know it is illegal for 2 or more women to work at the same place. I say not only that but it is illegal

for more than one girl to work at the same place.

Unless someone can tell me otherwise it is also illegal for those 2 women to work from the same premises even if

at different times or on different days.

Many wgs do it of course and in my view are doing no harm as long as they do not attract attention in the neighbourhood

which could cause nasties if there are families with children nearby.

Room or flat sharing is the perfect way for some girls as it cuts down expenses dramatically.

I prefer not to do this.

I'm quite certain that the people who regularly read and post in the Legalities and Legislation forum (and they know who they are) will have more knowledge about the relevant laws relating to prostitution than most CAB workers/volunteers, lawyers, police officers or CPS employees.

Absolutely right, and their knowledge including your own has been put to the test numerous times on here giving useful information to many members. :)

I am still surprised from time to time when clients (and I have had serving police offer clients too who I have had to

educate in this ! ) are unaware of the legality of it all.

Your average police officer's knowledge of the law is not much more than pretty basic. The majority wouldn't have a clue in relation to the law on prostitution. It's not something that they would often have to deal with.

It's not that difficult to find clips on Youtube of police telling people that it's illegal to take photos of people (including the police) in public.

Unless someone can tell me otherwise it is also illegal for those 2 women to work from the same premises even if

at different times or on different days.

Yes, that would be a brothel, and it's illegal to keep or manage or assist in the management of a brothel. So somebody is potentially liable to be prosecuted - one or both of them, or perhaps a third party.

Yes, that would be a brothel, and it's illegal to keep or manage or assist in the management of a brothel. So somebody is potentially liable to be prosecuted - one or both of them, or perhaps a third party.

It sounds like the walk ups in Soho and Mayfair are illegal then. I've been telling people that Soho walk ups are legal because there is only one woman working in each flat at a time. Now it seems that's not true because it's not the same woman all the time.

As I understand it, it's legal for you to visit them, (subject to coercion etc law) but not for the operators to run 'em..