Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Corus Boy

Could Be Perfect For Wg's & Punters

4 posts in this topic

That is pretty neat. I'm just lucky that I have a 'work' laptop and a personal one as well - for shopping you understand ;)

For a couple of years now I've carried a 16Gb USB stick with the Portable Platform and Firefox, Open Office, Gimp and a few other useful Portable Apps, which I thought enabled me to do on and off line work without leaving traces. It, however used the Windoze OS of the PC into which it was plugged. This "new" gizmo seemingly boots up Linux, and, presumably leaves the host PC brain dead during the session? The host's log files would show a dead period, and you'd have to fiddle with the BIOS set-up to get it to boot from the USB stick?

Would one of our geeks care to comment?

For a couple of years now I've carried a 16Gb USB stick with the Portable Platform and Firefox, Open Office, Gimp and a few other useful Portable Apps, which I thought enabled me to do on and off line work without leaving traces. It, however used the Windoze OS of the PC into which it was plugged. This "new" gizmo seemingly boots up Linux, and, presumably leaves the host PC brain dead during the session? The host's log files would show a dead period, and you'd have to fiddle with the BIOS set-up to get it to boot from the USB stick?

Would one of our geeks care to comment?

Yes, that's a pretty accurate assessment of them. They aren't really a new thing, and you can easily make one yourself by putting a Linux live cd image onto a USB stick.

It's not totally without leaving a trace of course, as any web browsing will still be recorded somewhere by the ISP and potentially local router as wel, so not a way to get away with anything on a work network!