Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AsgardsSon

How Old

29 posts in this topic

I get the distinct impression that the mean age for punters is 42, while the mean age for WGs is 27.

Is that fairly spot on or am I terribly inaccurate?

I'm from Yorkshire so I have always been mean.

Showing my stupidity possibly here, but what is a "mean" age please?

Lucy :)

Showing my stupidity possibly here, but what is a "mean" age please?

Lucy :)

When the word "mean" is used in statistics it's a more specific term for "average".

So AsgardsSon believes the average age of punters to be 42.

I'm 54... and rising.

Most girls I see are 25 to 35. I think.

Edited by Reverend Dick

It is the average, taking all ages into account, as opposed to the median which generally lends less weight to extreme values (irrelevant and inappropriate for this).

So, "average".

Not stupid at all Lucy x. It's not a common term unless your into that sort of maths, it just means the same as 'average' - so average age

there are 3 types of average

mean is when you add up all the ages and divide by the sample size.

mode is the age that appears most often

median - you arrange all the ages in age order and find the middle one.

if these 3 'averages' are wildly different then that implies things about the distribution which stats people can interpret.

mean is meaningless (pun unintentional) unless you also quote the standard deviation which gives an indication as to how likely any given person will be near the mean,

all this is crap unless you are sure the data you start with is accurate. We all know about the allegation ladies lie about their ages, and mebbe punters do too. And of course all data about sex is inaccurate because people lie when being surveyed, and there is no way of verifying their answers.

so if you see any stats, think 'who says so, and is there a bias built in'. also look at the sample size. some you see quoted in adverts are very very small and therefore probably rubbish. bigger the sample - more likely to be true. also look for self selecting samples where people don't have to reply, or worse tv phone polls where the sample is selected by the sample, and therefore highly suspect.

how to lie with statistics by darrell huff is an excellent idiots guide to simple stats - it was recommended when doing my degree (1979) but still relevant today.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Lie-Statistics-Penguin-Business/dp/0140136290

Edited by Coventrypunter

Fair enough, multiple points taken.

My opinion, based on the largely unverified information available, is that the average punter is about 42, while the average WG is 27.

It is a fairly trivial point for discussion (or not, if of no interest), and completely impossible to prove in any way, shape or form.

Fair enough, multiple points taken.

My opinion, based on the largely unverified information available, is that the average punter is about 42, while the average WG is 27.

It is a fairly trivial point for discussion (or not, if of no interest), and completely impossible to prove in any way, shape or form.

OK. i think your punter age may be a little low. many here seem to be in their 50's

girls. well is that their real age or advertised age? and there is such a bewildering range of girls of many ages I really don't know. but there seem to be many well into their 30's and low 40's so again i feel your 27 is too low.

remember, you are as old as the woman you feel.

I get the distinct impression that the mean age for punters is 42, while the mean age for WGs is 27.

Is that fairly spot on or am I terribly inaccurate?

I dont know for sure as i have only met a small percentage of punters or read about their ages on here. If those i have met and those i have read about are in anyway representative most in person at parties were mid 30s to mid 50s or looked that age to me. Most on here were in this age group too. There was a thread with a poll on here on this sometime ago whose title i cant recall.

As to WGs mean age i have no idea. I have punted with most who told me or looked 20s to 30s to me. :)

OK. i think your punter age may be a little low. many here seem to be in their 50's

girls. well is that their real age or advertised age? and there is such a bewildering range of girls of many ages I really don't know. but there seem to be many well into their 30's and low 40's so again i feel your 27 is too low.

remember, you are as old as the woman you feel.

The OP wasnt just talking about on here only though where a minute fraction of punters are members. 40s would be my best guess.

I dont think age really matters, as it is something that anyone can add or take away 5-6 years and no one would be any the wiser.

I tend to book with the mid 20's ladies, but after a while they tell me they are in their thirties, one who was stated as late 20's, on the third visit told me that her son was having a 21st birthday party later that week.

So really how can you say an average age.

I dont think age really matters, as it is something that anyone can add or take away 5-6 years and no one would be any the wiser.

I tend to book with the mid 20's ladies, but after a while they tell me they are in their thirties, one who was stated as late 20's, on the third visit told me that her son was having a 21st birthday party later that week.

So really how can you say an average age.

As long as 18 i go on if i fancy the WG or not myself so in that respect age doesnt matter to me. If someone is going to lie i would advise making it possibly believable because with a few WGs its obvious they are much older than they are advertising. So if you can get away with it, ID is not required as proof in my punting fair enough, although in these days of punting sites honesty is always the best policy in my opinion.

I would say it probably around average judging from taking a look around a few WG sites, and from what i know. I myself find that most of the gents that come and See me are of the ages 30-40 mostly.

Cx

<nerd mode>

A good summary. In fact with a question such as this, the mean age is probably not as useful/meaningful to statisticians as would be the modal age (in groups) or the median age. Not much point having a modal specific single age as there would be many ages that feature with close counts. For stats purposes ages are often presented in bands like 35-39, 40-44, etc to get a more meaningful result. In all cases the statisticians just want the raw data and will cut it as they can to draw out useful information. The median might be the most useful single figure but is hard to explain without examples, so let's leave it there I think!

</nerd mode>

<nerd mode>

</nerd mode>

<a>pmsl</a>

Basic Data on age, is that real age or Internet age? :D

I'm above average for the punter, in fact probably closer to the average death age but who cares and I have no intentions too slow down in any aspect of my lifestyle when there are so many lovely girls of all ages to spend lovely hours with.

Edited by Corus Boy

, in fact probably closer to the average death age but who cares

Indeed, and good for you. My grandmother still refers to "the old people" as if she is not one of them, and will be leading everyone out on the glorious twelfth as she has done for many of her 90+ years.

Indeed, and good for you. My grandmother still refers to "the old people" as if she is not one of them, and will be leading everyone out on the glorious twelfth as she has done for many of her 90+ years.

My grandmother does that too and she was 94 last birthday! She was telling me about the 'poor old boy down the road' (who turned out to be 20 years younger than her!)

Anyway back on track, it would be tricky to get an average age- my clients range from 18-80! Actually, I suspect the average age of a punter would be very close to the average age of adult males in the UK. I don't think there is a more common age for punting because of the diversity of reasons for doing it.

My grandmother does that too and she was 94 last birthday! She was telling me about the 'poor old boy down the road' (who turned out to be 20 years younger than her!)

Anyway back on track, it would be tricky to get an average age- my clients range from 18-80! Actually, I suspect the average age of a punter would be very close to the average age of adult males in the UK. I don't think there is a more common age for punting because of the diversity of reasons for doing it.

I have also seen people from 18 - 82 (was a bday treat!!!). So plenty of punting years for your "average" 47 yr old punter. I am 41 and started 4 years ago so way past your "mean" age, but I do OK. Plenty of life in us older ladies.

if these 3 'averages' are wildly different then that implies things about the distribution which stats people can interpret.

mean is meaningless (pun unintentional) unless you also quote the standard deviation which gives an indication as to how likely any given person will be near the mean,

all this is crap unless you are sure the data you start with is accurate. We all know about the allegation ladies lie about their ages, and mebbe punters do too. And of course all data about sex is inaccurate because people lie when being surveyed, and there is no way of verifying their answers.

so if you see any stats, think 'who says so, and is there a bias built in'. also look at the sample size. some you see quoted in adverts are very very small and therefore probably rubbish. bigger the sample - more likely to be true. also look for self selecting samples where people don't have to reply, or worse tv phone polls where the sample is selected by the sample, and therefore highly suspect.

how to lie with statistics by darrell huff is an excellent idiots guide to simple stats - it was recommended when doing my degree (1979) but still relevant today.

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/0140136290

Nice one, Cov. I'll cut n' paste to my daughters' statistics homework, that'll get me a drink!! Do you think the data might just get a little bit " donald ducked" by some of the girls' "real" ages as opposed to those advertised ??

I'm 32 and have been punting for 10 years

Most of the girls I see are between 30 and early 40s (after a couple of meets I often ask if they mind telling me their real age - I can't recall any not answering, of course they could still be fibbing, but I don't think so). I'm 55.

It would need to be anonymous I guess, but I'd be interested in a survey to find out how many years girls take off their real age. Probably more as they get older?

Edited by viceverser

Most of the girls I see are between 30 and early 40s (after a couple of meets I often ask if they mind telling me their real age - I can't recall any not answering, of course they could still be fibbing, but I don't think so). I'm 55.

It would need to be anonymous I guess, but I'd be interested in a survey to find out how many years girls take off their real age. Probably more as they get older?

Lying about age is endemic in punting in my experiences, obviously not all lie, i disregard it as its so widespread and go on if i fancy the WG or not. Honesty is always the best policy but if a woman can get away with saying she is younger than she is thats one thing but if they look their age or older and are saying they are younger than they are its blindingly obvious sometimes. With sites like this about such WGs might get picked up on this lying sooner or later of course.

I sometimes wonder if I should knock a few years off seeing as everyone will assume I have anyway...