hobknob

How does the field report approval system work?

32 posts in this topic

I've wondered this for a while now. Sometimes I submit a FR it goes live literally immediately. Other times it can take a few days. Take the recent time scales for the publication of FRs - they've come through in dribs and drabs with a couple being publish over a fair length of time. For example, 6 FRs published on 17th Oct, 7 on 18th and 2 on 19th (at time of writing).

Does G read them all before publication? How many FRs can the mail box before it gets full?

I've wondered this for a while now. Sometimes I submit a FR it goes live literally immediately. Other times it can take a few days. Take the recent time scales for the publication of FRs - they've come through in dribs and drabs with a couple being publish over a fair length of time. For example, 6 FRs published on 17th Oct, 7 on 18th and 2 on 19th (at time of writing).

Does G read them all before publication? How many FRs can the mail box before it gets full?

I think it depends really. Sir G will, I imagine, have days off.

I think it depends really. Sir G will, I imagine, have days off.

Good answer! Says it all really. G reads them all and does so when he decides to - it is up to him what time he devotes to the site; it is not his whole life.

No one nows how many reports the mailbox holds because it is not a system open to scrutiny. You need to accept that - I for one am more than happy to.

The frequency of FR uploads is hugely increased since the system began and those of us who were around then can only marvel at how well it all works.

not sure G reads em all. I think he has some program that looks at certain parameters to decide if it is a safe one (known FR writer, known lady) or a dodgy one (new writer and lady). The safe ones are auto published, the dodgy ones need human intervention.

what is safe and dodgy is, of course, a secret as that process is what keeps the FR system largely clean of fake reports, and publishing details would compromise security.

not sure G reads em all. I think he has some program that looks at certain parameters to decide if it is a safe one (known FR writer, known lady) or a dodgy one (new writer and lady). The safe ones are auto published, the dodgy ones need human intervention.

what is safe and dodgy is, of course, a secret as that process is what keeps the FR system largely clean of fake reports, and publishing details would compromise security.

There is a vetting committee to ensure fairness and the reputation of the site are maintained.

That should get the conspiracy theorists' minds working overtime.

There is a vetting committee to ensure fairness and the reputation of the site are maintained.

That should get the conspiracy theorists' minds working overtime.

Bwahahahahahaha. :P

There is a program as Kinks said which recognises things like known FR writers which is why some FRs get through straight away. It will also recognise key words or phrases.

Thanks.

There seems to be some variation in the answers/opinions. I'm not sure there's an auto vetting system for known authors, so maybe Big G does indeed read them all.

Thanks.

There seems to be some variation in the answers/opinions. I'm not sure there's an auto vetting system for known authors, so maybe Big G does indeed read them all.

I don't know how many FRs you would need to write to be "known". I have written about 15 or so now and my new submissions still get queued along with everyone else (which I am quite happy about, why should it be any different). My latest one I did took 4 days to get processed :D. I did have one FR though, about 6 months ago, that got published in less than half an hour :P. It did cross my mind that I might have made a priority list somehow, but it is much more likely that G was simply on the ball that day.

Perhaps some of the FR authors who have dozens and dozens do get priority treatment, but there are relatively few of those.

I personally like the theory there's a committee. I await my invite to join Mr G .... :D

i believe the auto approve is a job that Gal has to kick off manually. so when it runs will depend on when he gets the time.

i believe the auto approve is a job that Gal has to kick off manually. so when it runs will depend on when he gets the time.

Can't argue against the auto system theory as have noticed some very speedy uploads but mine are not always but sometimes just as quick and I have a long long record of FRs (and a number of rejecteds - tend to forget the place frequency rule for one thing).

But 15 reports is doubtful to cut any mustard auto upload-wise, he says elegantly.

I have only 3 FR - two were published immediately, including my first. The Two that were immediately published were for girls with a large number of FRs and the one that waited had fewer than 10, ergo I think that the publishing rate is determined by how well known the girls is rather than the punter. :P

Can't argue against the auto system theory as have noticed some very speedy uploads but mine are not always but sometimes just as quick and I have a long long record of FRs (and a number of rejecteds - tend to forget the place frequency rule for one thing).

But 15 reports is doubtful to cut any mustard auto upload-wise, he says elegantly.

Heh, subtlety must be your middle name :P. I do have a way to go before I am up there with the Godfather, don't I ?

I have only 3 FR - two were published immediately, including my first. The Two that were immediately published were for girls with a large number of FRs and the one that waited had fewer than 10, ergo I think that the publishing rate is determined by how well known the girls is rather than the punter. :P

That's possible as my one speedy FR was on a lady with lots of other FRs.

I'm sure Galahad is laughing his arse (or should I say ass, as he's US based) at this thread :D:D:D

Heh, subtlety must be your middle name ;). I do have a way to go before I am up there with the Godfather, don't I ?

Nothing rude intended - and my comment has been undermined since so I hope you're not still shaking with rage...

I was really thinking that being in the top 10 reporters and having premier status for life* (did you know that existed?) I was feeling a bit knocked back that I don't get the waved through treatment at all often.

But as I said, it is up to G and I am very happy about that.

*until this thread perhaps.

Nothing rude intended - and my comment has been undermined since so I hope you're not still shaking with rage...

I was really thinking that being in the top 10 reporters and having premier status for life* (did you know that existed?) I was feeling a bit knocked back that I don't get the waved through treatment at all often.

That's something else I've wondered. I have "Premier Status for Life" but have no idea what this means.

Just to add a note to Northwinds, I've just noticed up my 100th live FR and mine don't get waved through any quicker. But Being British I'm also happy to queue and await my turn to be published.

I started this thread as I'm interested in how things work. Plus I've contributed to this magnificent idea going back to 2001 so I've a vested interest.

vivluvsme, I didn't think you were being rude at all. Hence the big grinning smiley on the post you quoted. In fact, I honestly thought you were very "elegant" about it ;) I wasn't trying to "undermine" anything you said. Sorry if it came across that way.

P.S. I might have only submitted 15 field reports (and had a big chunk deleted recently due to my favourite establishment closing down), but I too have "premier status for life". Galahad obviously lets any old riff-raff into that club, even johnny-come-latelies like me :D

P.P.S. And no, I don't know what it means either

That's something else I've wondered. I have "Premier Status for Life" but have no idea what this means.

Just to add a note to Northwinds, I've just noticed up my 100th live FR and mine don’t get waved through any quicker. But Being British I’m also happy to queue and await my turn to be published.

I started this thread as I’m interested in how things work. Plus I’ve contributed to this magnificent idea going back to 2001 so I’ve a vested interest.

Heh, and here was me thinking that someone with only 29 posts to their name was a part-timer :D. Respect to you hobknob. I'll rejoin the queue, somewhere further to the back ;)

once i've written my FR, how long is it before it's published?

This is a question that has bugged man since the very dawn of time, it is an enigma wrapped in mystery and shrouded in legend, however I can reveal that there are various arcane rituals involving chicken entrails, secret incantations and a bottle-nosed dolphin. The timing and organisation of the various paraphernalia involved with the eventual publication of a field report are, as one might expect, complex in the extreme, the position of Mercury in relation to Uranus and height above sea level are just a couple of the vital elements involved in the calculation, but as a rough guide you can be fairly certain that it will be sometime in the future.

lol!

So probably when England win the world cup.....!

This is a question that has bugged man since the very dawn of time, it is an enigma wrapped in mystery and shrouded in legend, however I can reveal that there are various arcane rituals involving chicken entrails, secret incantations and a bottle-nosed dolphin. The timing and organisation of the various paraphernalia involved with the eventual publication of a field report are, as one might expect, complex in the extreme, the position of Mercury in relation to Uranus and height above sea level are just a couple of the vital elements involved in the calculation, but as a rough guide you can be fairly certain that it will be sometime in the future.

The Metallurgists fantasy ; I bet it's an extra. :D

I must admit this is something I've wondered lately. I posted a FR three days ago, on a lady quite well known here, and it's still sitting awaiting approval. Previous FRs I've written have always been sorted in 24 hours. I thought of e-mailing to ask what the delay is, but when you hit the Contact button you're told that e-mails on the disposition of submitted FRs will be ignored, so there seems no point. :D:(

I must admit this is something I've wondered lately. I posted a FR three days ago, on a lady quite well known here, and it's still sitting awaiting approval. Previous FRs I've written have always been sorted in 24 hours. I thought of e-mailing to ask what the delay is, but when you hit the Contact button you're told that e-mails on the disposition of submitted FRs will be ignored, so there seems no point. :D:(

Old'uns will tell you that you don't know how lucky you are.

It was originally 5 or 10 new reports every fortnight or so, so things have changed dramatically since then.

But I really think the big improvement is in how many more reports there are to read and how often the list is updated, not how quickly your own one is put up, which should come a long way down the priority list in terms of excitement and surprise after your first few.

But yes I don't know what my premier status involves either...

With me it's a case of... Computer says no... :D

Sadly most of the people that use this site are not local to me, and since someone stupidly tried to join twice to write a report on me I can't have FR written by newbies. It's not impossible to have a FR written, just highly unlikely now. I suppose on the plus side, I'm not likely to get any bad ones either.

The moral of this story is if in doubt, don't try and create a 2nd profile and definitely don't write the report again thinking it's not gone through. Ask first!

Edited by kissxkate
I can't spell

My understanding is Galahad himself only is responsible for the FR system so it depends on how busy he is as to how quickly FRs are put online. So it could be virtually straight away or it could be very much longer.