Joanna Manchester

Email I received

20 posts in this topic

Here is an email I received from 'HM Revenue and Customs', it was 'sent' from no-reply@hmrc.gov.uk.

Taxpayer ID: info-00000168777682UK

Tax Type: INCOME TAX

Issue: Unreported/Underreported Income (Fraud Application)

Please review your tax statement on HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) website (click on the link below):

review tax statement for taxpayer id: info-00000168777682UK

HM Revenue and Customs

I presume they have found out about that money I've got coming from those nice Nigerians who have been emailing me, what am I to do?

Here is an email I received from 'HM Revenue and Customs', it was 'sent' from no-reply@hmrc.gov.uk.

Please review your tax statement on HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) website (click on the link below):

HM Revenue and Customs

I presume they have found out about that money I've got coming from those nice Nigerians who have been emailing me, what am I to do?

Transfer all the money those nice Nigerians have been sending you to my offshore account, and I promise you'll never see it again. :P:D

I got one as well.... It gave me a figure to pay on the form.. I sent it to my ' inheritance Accountant' based in Nigeria.

You only got one I have been inundated with these emails normally about 10 a day. I suppose some one will fall for it.

You are not the only one getting these emails.....they are pain in the a***:D

Wish I had someone in nigeria to forward them to:p instead I am spraining my finger pressing the delete button :P:D

You only got one I have been inundated with these emails normally about 10 a day. I suppose some one will fall for it.

I did actually get 3 in one day.

I have been getting about 10 on average a day too.. It seems to have died down a little today!

HM Revenue and Customs

They are sending out asimilar one promising a refund on provision of bank details

HM Revenue and Customs

immediately go to your local tax office, strip naked and shout loudly DO YOUR WORST, I HAVE CLAIMED A JAFFA CAKE ON EXPENSES WHEN IT WASNT ALLOWED. PLEASE HAVE MERCY!

I am quite sure its genuine - the government needs (our) money!

I get several a day but fortunately Googlemail pops them straight into the tinned meat box along with the "Rolex for a fiver" ads and the enhance my bits merchants.

They are a scam, spoken to HMRC already about them and they say they never contact via email.

I've had loads of these scam emails. First I got a load purporting to be from the US Internal Revenue service and then over the last week the scammers obviously realised the need to localise for us Brits.

Strange thing is, for the last two days, I've had hardly any spam. I'm not complaining mind you. Maybe my ISP has set up a new filter. Even my Junk Email box isn't filling up.

We get hundreds of these a day at our office. Best thing is to add that address (no-reply@hmrc.gov.uk or whatever it is) to your blacklist in Outlook.

Or create a rule in Outlook that all mail received from that address should be instantly deleted.

We get hundreds of these a day at our office. Best thing is to add that address (no-reply@hmrc.gov.uk or whatever it is) to your blacklist in Outlook.

Or create a rule in Outlook that all mail received from that address should be instantly deleted.

The problem is that they all come from different spoofed email addresses. A decent spam filter (e.g. Mimecast or Postini) stops nearly everything like this and it's only the home email that suffers.

The problem is that they all come from different spoofed email addresses. A decent spam filter (e.g. Mimecast or Postini) stops nearly everything like this and it's only the home email that suffers.

The HMRC ones we've been getting all come from the "no-reply" address.

The HMRC ones we've been getting all come from the "no-reply" address.

That's not the real address it comes from. It is spoofed. If you dig into the message details you will find a different trail. It is quite easy to spoof the from address when sending an email.

I have set up my own Junk Filter rule in Entourage; once I see a certain type of spam message coming through several times I add it to the list. In this case I set all messages where the subject line contains "Note of Underreported Income" to be Junk, and moved to the Junk Folder, which is emptied out every 3 days.

That's not the real address it comes from. It is spoofed. If you dig into the message details you will find a different trail. It is quite easy to spoof the from address when sending an email.

Aha I see what you mean. Thanks for letting me know! ;)

Another dead givaway with this type of spam is the link. Although it appears to be something.hmrc.gov.uk that is not the actual link but just the textual 'description' of it.

If you move your mouse pointer over the link (for god's sake don't click on it) it will show the real link which will be like something.hmrc.gov.uk.somethingelse.com so the real destination is somethingelse.com which is the phishing site. The actual phishing site domain will change from email to email.

Also, if you have a decent internet security package that would also alert you if you go to one of these phishing sites.

Another dead givaway with this type of spam is the link. Although it appears to be something.hmrc.gov.uk that is not the actual link but just the textual 'description' of it.

If you move your mouse pointer over the link (for god's sake don't click on it) it will show the real link which will be like something.hmrc.gov.uk.somethingelse.com so the real destination is somethingelse.com which is the phishing site. The actual phishing site domain will change from email to email.

Also, if you have a decent internet security package that would also alert you if you go to one of these phishing sites.

Some very useful info there Hairy Sub. We have Trend Micro here and to test it I just clicked on a link within a spam website and a message came up on the web browser saying that the link leads to a phishing site and asked me if I really wanted to proceed. Looks like it's working ok!